357 SIG

CommsNBombs

Not worth it, IMHO.  Outside of hard barrier penetration, the "gains" you get from pushing the modern 9mm JHP a couple hundred FPS faster just aren't there.  You still get almost the exact same performance in tissue.

And you lose a round or two in capacity, increase recoil a bit, your practice ammo cost goes up, and platform choices are limited.

• Like 1

Not worth it, IMHO. Outside of hard barrier penetration, the "gains" you get from pushing the modern 9mm JHP a couple hundred FPS faster just aren't there. You still get almost the exact same performance in tissue.

And you lose a round or two in capacity, increase recoil a bit, your practice ammo cost goes up, and platform choices are limited.

Meh. It's a fun round. Screw logic and all that crap. What place does that have in a hobby? Haha! I just got into 10MM last fall and love it. If i used logic, I never would have gotten it. Harder to find, more expensive, all the things you just stated about 357 Sig. I love it anway.

In fact, because of this thread, I'll probably be ordering 357 Sig conversion barrels for my 3 M&P 40s, a compact, full size, and Pro. I have 19 40 cal mags between them that will already work. $450 dollar's worth of barrels and I have 3 new 357 Sigs!

I already have a 9mm barrel for the full size, and the swappability is just awesome. I let new shooters start off with the 9, and then go 40 when they're comfy. It'll be sweet to hop over to 357 Sig.

Party on dudes! Edited by musicman
  • Like 3
I'll throw this in the mix.

One thing I have toyed with for a few years is a .357 sig AR15. I've talked with Dolomite ad-nauseum and we both agree it would work quite well with sourcing a barrel being the only real barrier. The advent of Glock magazine lowers alleviates the stress of feeding.
A 6.8 SPC carries the same head size so a gas operated, pistol length gas system AR is very doable. With a 16 inch barrel the Sig should pick up a few more feet per second and become exponentially more accurate.

What a thumper that would be! Fed from Glock magazines to boot!
  • Like 3

I want to build a 10mm AR for my next SBR project - if I had to have one Id go for 10mm
Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Ditto! I imagine it to be quite a thumper out of a longer barrel. Like 357 and 44, 10MM is at it's best with the slower powders. Whereas as 9 and 45 generally use faster powders, they don't pick up quite as much extra speed with an extra foot of barrel.

Look at the numbers out of pistols versus things like the keltec sub2000s. Not a huge velocity pickup. Then look at 357 or 44 out of 4-"6" revolvers and then their levergun counterparts. Hot diggity!

Comms....

Here goes...

...Any specific "technique" to it? I was watching youtube and one guy said since the Glock barrel isnt a full support (?) Barrel that it bulges on the bottom toward the bottom - and he ran it through both the 40SW resizing die AND the 357 die

Comms... For some reason i think we did the 40SW thing to round up the brass... I dont think it's a bad idea... Two step sizing on a bottleneck cartridge aint ever a bad idea... Havin said that, i never noticed any "bulges" from any of the brass we picked up, and our loads were pretty hot...

Now since I will only own 357 Glocks (33, and maybe the 32) - would this step be necessary?

I appreciate all the help and feedback on this so far. Definitely solidified my decision to get one.

Glad ta do it... I know ya will enjoy the sig...

leroy

I'll throw this in the mix.

One thing I have toyed with for a few years is a .357 sig AR15. I've talked with Dolomite ad-nauseum and we both agree it would work quite well with sourcing a barrel being the only real barrier. The advent of Glock magazine lowers alleviates the stress of feeding.
A 6.8 SPC carries the same head size so a gas operated, pistol length gas system AR is very doable. With a 16 inch barrel the Sig should pick up a few more feet per second and become exponentially more accurate.

What a thumper that would be! Fed from Glock magazines to boot!

I have always wanted one as well, along with a 10mm carbine.

Quarter circle 10 has barrels FYI.
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
So I am picking up my Gen 4 Glock 32 on Thursday - getting it for a song and a dance which is awesome so the wife doesnt murderlate me.

The folks over at Missouri Bullet Co and Leroy have squared me away with some data and what bullets to use. So big shout outs to them as well as everyone else's feedback.

Got some 357 Sig brass on order - Wes Sage who runs Sages Reloading Supplies on FB does em $30/1K plus shipping - he gets em from the Air Marshal Service ranges so I know theyre fire formed for Glocks at least.

Going to be playing around with some 125gr coated 9mm FPs from MBC. As well as Hornady 124gr XTPs. Will be loading using Win LPs and trying out mfg data for Bullseye and 800X. I really also want to try AutoComp - been doing some reading on Nebraska Gun Owners and Sig Forums on that.

Hope I can get a Chrono, Ill spring for a 650 to take care of it if I find a good load.

Will continue to update this with my trial and error.

This forum has squared me away in my 45ACP and 10mm endeavors and I have had great success reloading for them.

I was thinking about getting one and did research.  Here is my take.

The round was designed to generate .357 Magnum type ballistic for semi auto pistols.  The reason to get one is to achieve that - a smaller cartridge that will kick ass and take names.

Greater wear and tear on the gun and brass - yes.   Expensive - yes.  Not great to reload - probably not.

This is a cartridge for the person that wants to carry a semi auto pistol that delivers .357 Magnum type ballistics.  The price is that it will have more wear and tear on everything because of its power.

It is also a cartridge that was designed with relatively recent technology.  For example, the 6.5 Creedmoor is a great cartridge for long range accuracy.  One of the reasons for this is that it takes advantage of recent technology.

I ultimately decided to go with a 9mm and am satisfied with that choice.  We've all watched, and often been part of, debates on which cartridge is best.  At the end of the day the best we really can do is try to make an educated choice based need we have and the application we are trying to address.  Any reasonably popular cartridge will have good and bad and the key is matching the most good and the least bad with the need.

The following may also be helpful:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.357_SIG

Here is a pic of several cartridges shot into ballistics gel.  

Gelatin.jpg

I'm not sure how much velocity a .357Sig would pick up with a longer barrel.
But 9mm 124gr S&B clocks 1200fps from my CZ75 and almost 1500fps from my 10" barrel Sterling.
I would be surprised not to see at least that type of increase from .357Sig.

The advantage of higher velocity is not just terminal effects. It also means flatter trajectory and longer effective range. Just what you want from a carbine or SMG. Edited by 1gewehr

I was thinking about getting one and did research.  Here is my take.

The round was designed to generate .357 Magnum type ballistic for semi auto pistols.  The reason to get one is to achieve that - a smaller cartridge that will kick ass and take names.

Greater wear and tear on the gun and brass - yes.   Expensive - yes.  Not great to reload - probably not.

This is a cartridge for the person that wants to carry a semi auto pistol that delivers .357 Magnum type ballistics.  The price is that it will have more wear and tear on everything because of its power.

It is also a cartridge that was designed with relatively recent technology.  For example, the 6.5 Creedmoor is a great cartridge for long range accuracy.  One of the reasons for this is that it takes advantage of recent technology.

I ultimately decided to go with a 9mm and am satisfied with that choice.  We've all watched, and often been part of, debates on which cartridge is best.  At the end of the day the best we really can do is try to make an educated choice based need we have and the application we are trying to address.  Any reasonably popular cartridge will have good and bad and the key is matching the most good and the least bad with the need.

The following may also be helpful:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.357_SIG

Here is a pic of several cartridges shot into ballistics gel.  

Gelatin.jpg

I can't say as I would hang my hat on this test. The massive gelatin test in the other thread shows great disparity in the various loads/bullets of the same caliber, so comparing two loads of 9mm JHP with one load of .357 JHP doesn't paint the entire picture.

Edited by SWJewellTN