Green Lights for Vets!!!

bersaguy

Are any folks here going to join the Green Lights for Vets program? I have Flood lights on my place but managed to find one green flood bulb at local Lowes store so tonight I will light up a green light. Just wondering if anyone else is planning on it.............. :shrug:

Well as best I can tell 96r it is a to show our veterans that they are being remembered which to me means a heck of a lot. It is just a little reaching out to let a down and out vet see a green light and know it represents an American that appreciates all he/she gave for Love of Country. I would have thought that was pretty well self explanatory but maybe not to some.Was there not a thread on here only about a week ago about reaching out to our Veterans?................. :shrug: :shrug:

• Like 5

Well as best I can tell 96r it is a to show our veterans that they are being remembered which to me means a heck of a lot. It is just a little reaching out to let a down and out vet see a green light and know it represents an American that appreciates all he/she gave for Love of Country. I would have thought that was pretty well self explanatory but maybe not to some.Was there not a thread on here only about a week ago about reaching out to our Veterans?................. :shrug: :shrug:

I meant accomplish as in what does it materially do.  It's not raising money for a good cause like the Fisher House, and it's not trying to reach a goal like cleaning up the VA.  Veterans are being remembered plenty if people look around.  Go to a sporting event and there is always some "salute to service."  To me, it seems like it makes those doing it feel better than those it purports to help.  What does the green light do that a yellow ribbon, or a "support our vets" bumper sticker doesn't already do?  Does the hashtag upgrade it or something?  People are starting to confuse awareness campaigns with real action, and nothing is getting done.

As to the thread on reaching out...a place like TGO with real people offering someone to talk to can do more than half the country putting out a green light in support.

For me, the real way to remember veterans is to keep the pressure to reform the VA, and to make sure they aren't sent to fight in stupid wars like you and I were.

• Like 3

Walmart set a goal to hire 250,000 Veterans by 2020 and to me that is doing something. Jobs , even jobs at Walmart might help some down and out Veteran that is really struggling right now. Who knows what the future will bring for many Veterans? Not me, but this is IMO a job is a good start in the right direction...........JMHO

• Like 1

Walmart set a goal to hire 250,000 Veterans by 2020 and to me that is doing something. Jobs , even jobs at Walmart might help some down and out Veteran that is really struggling right now. Who knows what the future will bring for many Veterans? Not me, but this is IMO a job is a good start in the right direction...........JMHO

Wal-Mart could probably help create 250K new jobs if they would follow through with their Made in America” initiative. We shall see how it works out.
http://www.businessinsider.com/r-walmart-suppliers-grapple-with-challenge-of-made-in-usa-labels-2015-7

I admit, I just watched the video about the green light.  It is about Veterans day, and to show that we acknowledge them.  Especially the ones that are in civilian life, the ones that are more camouflaged as civilians.  We show our respect by having one green light on.  To encourage them.  This is what its all about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss3BC9xog5o

Edited by Runco
  • Like 1

I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand, this is the type of meaningless symbolic gesture that liberals do to make themselves feel good...

I meant accomplish as in what does it materially do.  It's not raising money for a good cause like the Fisher House, and it's not trying to reach a goal like cleaning up the VA.  Veterans are being remembered plenty if people look around.  Go to a sporting event and there is always some "salute to service."  To me, it seems like it makes those doing it feel better than those it purports to help.  What does the green light do that a yellow ribbon, or a "support our vets" bumper sticker doesn't already do?  Does the hashtag upgrade it or something?  People are starting to confuse awareness campaigns with real action, and nothing is getting done.

First, I'm a USAF Academy grad and obviously a vet. My wife  is a retired US Air Force Lieutenant Colonel.

I agree. While I'm on board with helping needy vets, this seems like one of those symbolic gestures that liberals do to feel good about themselves while not really helping anyone. Worse, it gives a false sense of accomplishment that prevents real action. 

I'm not against this movement, but I'd like to see it accomplish something. The green light needs to be tied to some meaningful actions the individual/family has taken.

Edited by jgradyc

As to the thread on reaching out...a place like TGO with real people offering someone to talk to can do more than half the country putting out a green light in support.

For me, the real way to remember veterans is to keep the pressure to reform the VA, and to make sure they aren't sent to fight in stupid wars like you and I were.

You just can't make some people happy Bersaguy, I'm not saying the VA doesn't need reform, but anything I can do to show the respect to these returning Vets I will do. If some feel that saying "thanks for your service" or a "salute to service." is not well in tended then so be it.

I'm not looking to start a pissing contest here, it just brings back old feeling from 50 years back that should have died many years ago.

I got to go now, off to Wally World to find a green light bulb. :shhh:

Edited by crossfire
  • Like 2
Bersaguy, don't take the comment above by 96r the wrong way. I generally share his sentiment, and it's hard not to be a little jaded about this kinda stuff for various reasons. We experienced the exact opposite of Vietnam vets, who were treated like dog crap upon returning. I constantly remember throughout the first few years of the war the amount of pro troop support flair was all over the place. A little less as the years went on.

While I have no issue with people wanting to show their support, for us jaded guys we kinda look at that stuff as being a little empty. It's hard to explain. Especially after seeing all that stuff between 9/11 to about 2005, only to see the VA continue to be a corrupt mess, and politicians not getting their feet held to the fire about it for more than a day or two.

By all means, buy green lights and spread the word. Don't take the kind of questioning above as harsh criticism against it; it's just the lens some of see it through due to our experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

We're not implying that the green light isn't well intentioned. I'll make a point to find a green light for our house, but what does it do DIRECTLY to assist veterans?

What we're saying is that...

Intentions ≠  Actions

I'll give you an example. Decades ago, people where I grew up wore IPTAY lapel pins. They were pretty common even though my home was 90 miles from Clemson University. IPTAY means "I Pay Ten (dollars) A Year" to support Clemson. Today it's more, but an IPTAY decal means the person displaying the decal/pin/bumper sticker had actually done something to support Clemson. The green light doesn't send a penny veterans' way. 

We should hijack the movement and make it meaningful.  Ideas?

We're not implying that the green light isn't well intentioned. I'll make a point to find a green light for our house, but what does it do DIRECTLY to assist veterans?

What we're saying is that...

Intentions

Actions

I'll give you an example. Decades ago, people where I grew up wore IPTAY lapel pins. They were pretty common even though my home was 90 miles from Clemson University. IPTAY means "I Pay Ten (dollars) A Year" to support Clemson. Today it's more, but an IPTAY decal means the person displaying the decal/pin/bumper sticker had actually done something to support Clemson. The green light doesn't send a penny veterans' way.

We should hijack the movement and make it meaningful. Ideas?

Sell green lightbulb at a 500% markup and have some identifying feature to indicate it is genuine from a charity. Donate all proceeds from lightbulb to legitimate veteran's organization that isn't lining the pockets of CEOs with 1/4 million a year salary.

Well, I hold no ill feelings towards anyone expressing their views on this issue at all. I am very proud of how the American people have gotten behind our troops and veterans 150% for sure. I also remember a more darker side of the American people back when I came home. We were met and the airport by crowds throwing tomatoes and eggs at us and calling us baby killers. I was told by rank and file that it might be best if I arrived home wearing civilian clothes to avoid the carnage. I did not. I worn my Dress Whites as I departed the plane at Nashville International and there was not a tremendous amount of people there because it was raining but enough to get their point across. I never faltered as I walked the Airport but walked with my head up. Had to have my dress whites dry cleaned and I  was glad to have met Mr. Webster, the dry cleaner. He worked very hard to get my uniform especially clean and pressed at no charge to me. That is why I am like I am about any thing that might in the slightest way support our troops today even if just in SPIRIT!!!!

I have realized another thing as I think about back then and today. That is the very people that were at the airports back then throwing things an screaming baby killers, I often wonder how many of those same folks are now the same ones Welcoming home our vets of today? Ever think about the fact that those same people are welcoming home LOVED Ones today. I wonder how many of them remember another time they were welcoming home troops many years ago and now realize what is was like for Loved ones of troops returning from Nam and watching them go through that carnage. I didn't even let my family know when I would be arriving so they wouldn't be at the airport.  So yea, I am proud of every little thing I can do for the Vets Past , Present and future as long as I am breathing. So as for any ill feelings, I have non for anyone here. I was thrilled when he wrote and told me he would not be re-enlisting also. The recruiter promised him the moon to get his signature on that dotted line and he did not get one thing he was promised. They make the commercials on TV look so great and make promises they know they will not keep but sell them anyway.

Off my soap box now!!!!!!!.............. :hiding:  

• Like 2

Bersaguy, don't take the comment above by 96r the wrong way. I generally share his sentiment, and it's hard not to be a little jaded about this kinda stuff for various reasons. We experienced the exact opposite of Vietnam vets, who were treated like dog crap upon returning. I constantly remember throughout the first few years of the war the amount of pro troop support flair was all over the place. A little less as the years went on.

While I have no issue with people wanting to show their support, for us jaded guys we kinda look at that stuff as being a little empty. It's hard to explain. Especially after seeing all that stuff between 9/11 to about 2005, only to see the VA continue to be a corrupt mess, and politicians not getting their feet held to the fire about it for more than a day or two.

By all means, buy green lights and spread the word. Don't take the kind of questioning above as harsh criticism against it; it's just the lens some of see it through due to our experience.

Agreed.  You see lots of magnetic ribbons on vehicles like Support Our Troops , POW_MIA, breast cancer, etc.  There's a sticker for every thing but that money doesn't go anywhere except to the sellers pocket.  Look at all the ones for sale on eBay.  I haven't seen any that says "proceeds will be donated."  A better idea would be to get the "Support Our Troops" license plate.  At least the proceeds go somewhere.

Are green headlights legal? I'll show my support this way :up: B)

3000kDuringWarmup.jpg

Edited by NextExit
  • Like 1

Agreed.  You see lots of magnetic ribbons on vehicles like Support Our Troops , POW_MIA, breast cancer, etc.  There's a sticker for every thing but that money doesn't go anywhere except to the sellers pocket.  Look at all the ones for sale on eBay.  I haven't seen any that says "proceeds will be donated."  A better idea would be to get the "Support Our Troops" license plate.  At least the proceeds go somewhere.

Are green headlights legal? I'll show my support this way :up: B)

3000kDuringWarmup.jpg

Green is green and those sure look green to me...................... :up: :up:

Here's my green light....... :up:

[URL=http://s218.photobucket.com/user/softbaitmaker/media/Misc/Picture%20093_zpsyqea3gk8.jpg.html]Picture%20093_zpsyqea3gk8.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s218.photobucket.com/user/softbaitmaker/media/Misc/Picture%20094_zpse8rwaytq.jpg.html]Picture%20094_zpse8rwaytq.jpg[/URL]