Your thoughts on the SCAR 17 please

hlb14

I've wanted a semi auto 308 for a while now, and was planning on making a purchase by October of next year. However, with FN running their free Geissele Super Scar trigger with purchase of a 17, it's making a SCAR hard to pass up.  It is still a big pill to swallow initially though, and my question is is it worth the price of admission? Those of you that have or have had the 17 would you buy it again?

In general the rifle will be used for punching holes in paper both up close and at distance. 

thanks

I have owned one back when I was a stupid Private - and also carried one on a few assignments. Its a cool gun - SOCOM and Call of Duty status, turns heads at the ranges - whatever.

However - there are better semi auto piston driven 308 rifles out there - that are more rugged, weigh less and do not have that stupid reciporcating charging handle.

If you want to turn heads, sure get one, however that investment of cash can go towards a REALLY nice AR10, or even a FAL copy and you would still save money.

I was unimpressed with it, the piston system is nice to keep the barrel cool and mitigate SOME recoil but firing that big thumper F/A or rapid it has a tendency to walk itself towards whichever side you set up the CH.

Save your money - Id rather have a nice M1A, and I am not a big fan of that platform either. Piston driven tech is not some great invention. Im not a master marksman but having owned an ACR and SCAR 17 - I sold them both and still have a regular AR.

NOT worth it - my $.02

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk Edited by CommsNBombs
  • Like 2

The 17 is a decent platform, I had one for about a year. I bought the vltor setup, geissele trigger and the ggg charging handle - I say all that to say I tried to make it where I would like it.  I didn't ever get to that point. Like comms said the reciprocating charging handle is a pita and the barrel profile once warm does nothing for accuracy.

I sold mine and bought a LMT LM8MWS - same price range but it has been awesome out of the box since day 1.

• Like 2

I'm not a expert on 308 semi autos but if you have a place to shot don't mind you putting a couple rounds through mine and see how you like it before you buy one. Its all factory with no upgrades. I have a couple different optics (3X) but nothing with high enough magnification to see how well it will do at long distances though. A good optic is still on my wish list.

• Like 1

Ok, I'll be that guy...I like the SCAR-17.  I've had no issues with the reciprocating charging handle, and in fact I like that you can switch it to either side of the gun to accommodate your strong hand (I'm a lefty).  It's easier and faster to clear malfunctions if you ever have one and accurate about as far as you'd want to shoot it (understanding that it's not a sniper rifle).  I guess the question is, what are you planning on doing with it?  It is an ass-kicker on F/A as Comms pointed out, but you're not going get one in F/A so it doesn't matter.  Trying to do 5-round strings for fun at the range the gun will walk on you some, unless you man up on it pretty hard.  But, are you out to just hose close targets with .308?  If not, then it doesn't matter.  The gun isn't any heavier (practically speaking) than a good AR-10 platform.  Are you going to carry it for long distances to get to a hunting spot?  If not, and it's just a range toy, then what does it matter.  As far as rugged goes, I've not seen one break yet, although I'm sure they can.  Are you going to beat the hell out of it every single day?  If not, then what does "mean rounds between failure" matter to you?  At the end of the day, figure out what you want out of the platform and go for it.  I'd own one for no other reason than it's a pretty cool gun if I wasn't allocating funds elsewhere.  You can get AR-10 platform guns for less, but it depends on what brand/features you want.  I built a custom AR-10 and spent the same as you would for the SCAR, so it just depends on what you want.  Buy once, cry once and all that aside, if you like it, and can afford it, then go for it and have fun.  And post range pics for us to enjoy...

• Like 2
If I'm honest with myself this will be a range toy 99% of the time. I don't hunt and I'm not going into battle with it. I am however planning to move more out in the country next year. I would like to shoot some long range, say 500 yards or so, all while delivering more power than 5.56.

If I'm honest with myself this will be a range toy 99% of the time. I don't hunt and I'm not going into battle with it. I am however planning to move more out in the country next year. I would like to shoot some long range, say 500 yards or so, all while delivering more power than 5.56.

If you are good with the price of admission, the SCAR 17 will do what you're looking for then.  Like I said, I'd own one if I didn't have a USPSA hobby to feed...

• Like 1

At the end of the day it is your money brother, as long as it makes you happy go for it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Thought about it, ended up w a SIG 716

I have a 716, and love it...but it seems pretty heavy compared to my AR's.  I've been wanting a SCAR as well...but the whole reciprocating charging handle seems like a potential issue.  I've never had a gun with one.

Edited by thesquirrel

I've had my 17 for about a year now and never had any issues.  Upgraded the grip, charging handle, muzzle brake, and trigger group. She ran just fine until last week I took her out to try out some longer distance shooting.  Day started off great and I was pinging steel at 750 yards somewhat consistently with a 1x4 scope.  Merica!  After I shot up all of my match grade ammo (168gr SMK) I switched over to some M80 linked that we had an absurd amount of.

On the 26th round of M80 (126 total round count) my bolt locked to the rear.  Upon further inspection I discovered that the bolt wasn't locked and my magazine wasn't empty.  But I was having issues with the movement of the bolt carrier.  So I took off the lower receiver and saw this situation

scar.jpg

Pretty catastrophic malfunction.  So my day was over.  The other guys in my group had all ran out of regular ammo and had switched to the M80 ball too.  One guy was running an LWRC and the other had a Rem 700 and all three of us had AAC SDN-6 cans.  Those jerks shot round after round for a few more hours.  Sucked to be me that day. 

Take this info for what you want.  I haven't heard of something like this happening and I don't really know what could have caused the bolt carrier to rupture like it did.  Could have been the ammo combined with the suppressor but I doubt it.  This happened last week and the rifle is already at FN.  I'm waiting to hear what they say about it.  I'll let you know if they don't take care of the issue or if they can pin point the problem.  Maybe I got a lemon.

• Like 1

Never seen it blow out the side like that, but looks like a pressure issue though.  Keep us posted on what FN says.  I have, on the other hand, had an AR15 bolt split in half at the cam pin several years ago...in the middle of a stage...at the Ft. Benning 3-Gun match.

• 4 weeks later...

Any news from FN?

I've had my 17 for about a year now and never had any issues.  Upgraded the grip, charging handle, muzzle brake, and trigger group. She ran just fine until last week I took her out to try out some longer distance shooting.  Day started off great and I was pinging steel at 750 yards somewhat consistently with a 1x4 scope.  Merica!  After I shot up all of my match grade ammo (168gr SMK) I switched over to some M80 linked that we had an absurd amount of.

On the 26th round of M80 (126 total round count) my bolt locked to the rear.  Upon further inspection I discovered that the bolt wasn't locked and my magazine wasn't empty.  But I was having issues with the movement of the bolt carrier.  So I took off the lower receiver and saw this situation

scar.jpg

Pretty catastrophic malfunction.  So my day was over.  The other guys in my group had all ran out of regular ammo and had switched to the M80 ball too.  One guy was running an LWRC and the other had a Rem 700 and all three of us had AAC SDN-6 cans.  Those jerks shot round after round for a few more hours.  Sucked to be me that day. 

Take this info for what you want.  I haven't heard of something like this happening and I don't really know what could have caused the bolt carrier to rupture like it did.  Could have been the ammo combined with the suppressor but I doubt it.  This happened last week and the rifle is already at FN.  I'm waiting to hear what they say about it.  I'll let you know if they don't take care of the issue or if they can pin point the problem.  Maybe I got a lemon.

• 2 weeks later...

Called FN yesterday and they are waiting on parts from the factory. 

I'll have to say that I am not too thrilled with the customer service from them to this point.  I've sent  firearms back to HK, Springfield, and Larue who all paid for shipping and had it back to me within a week of them getting the gun in their hands.  Their CS reps were extremely respectful and apologetic. 

FN...not so much.  After speaking with them initially I had to bring up the subject of warranty.  The response I got was less than warm but the rep said to mail it in and they would see what they could do about it.  They've had my rifle since 14 November and I haven't even gotten a confirmation email like their websites states I should.  They wont tell me what happened, what exactly they are replacing, or speak to the armorer.  This last phone call they told me that they build parts in the factory in batches and will get to my part eventually. 

I'd say pretty piss poor customer service to this point.  This is a first for me with a major manufacturer.

To the OP....sorry for hijacking your post

• Like 1

I'd say pretty piss poor customer service to this point.  This is a first for me with a major manufacturer.

To the OP....sorry for hijacking your post

No worries man, thanks for sharing your experience.  Good customer service goes a long way in my book.  The Daniel Defense gun looks better every day.