AR-10 Failure to eject

TnShooter83

Family member just traded for an PTAC Tac-10.
It has a Palmetto State Armory upper.
We took it out today and all but one round failed to eject.
Once an empty case was completely turned around and stuck in the upper.
Primer end toward the chamber....not sure how that happens.
Most were empty case in upper with a partially fed round in the chamber.

The only time it ejects is on the last round. And it only throws the case maybe
3 feet. The bolt does lock open on last round. So, I don't think it is short stroking. I'm thinking ejector maybe?

Tried Winchester 7.62x51 147gr. and Remington 150gr.

Never messed with the AR10 platform. Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks guys. Hope to get it up and running soon. Edited by TnShooter83
Maybe I’m not understanding you right, but there isn’t room for a case to turn around. It would have to exit the rifle, flip and be knocked back in??

This might help with your failure to go into battery problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0CfYyfqbvg

If you want we can get together and I can take a look at it. Sounds like a gas issue. This gun may has the gas tuned for 308 and if so it will not be reliable with 7.62x51.

Are you shooting 308 or 7.62x51? They ARE two separate calibers and cannot be interchanged in certain firearms.

AR10, especially the cheap ones, are known to have all kinds of reliability issues. Scaling up an AR15 so it can shoot 308 doesn't translate well.

The ONLY 308 based AR I will ever own is the DPMS G2. It was completely redesigned and fixed all the issues of a standard AR10. It is also lighter than most AR15s. The easiest way to tell a standard AR10, of any make, from the desirable G2 is the ejectors. The G2 will have two ejectors while all others only have one.

We tried both 147gr 7.62X51 and Remington 150gr .308
The true .308 had slightly more felt recoil.

Thanks for the offer to help look at the rifle.
We contacted Palmetto State Armory. They are will into fix the rifle.
But we have to have proof of purchase. The person we got the rifle from is supposed
to be looking for his receipt.

I say we, but the rife is actually a family memebers.
I was just invited along to shoot. I have the rifle now, as he let me bring it home to clean it in hopes of it working. A cleaning did not help.

I tore it apart. The buffer has no marking. No idea what weight it is.
The ejector is really hard to press in. But seems fine. The rife feeds and goes in to full lock with the bolt.
All looks fine with the extractor.

It will MANUALLY extract a round PERFECT.

Here is what is happening.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56nzgN8SBbI Edited by TnShooter83

Maybe I’m not understanding you right, but there isn’t room for a case to turn around. It would have to exit the rifle, flip and be knocked back in??This might help with your failure to go into battery problems.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0CfYyfqbvg

Yeah, apparently it ejects, spins, and goes back in.
I found a video of the same problem we are having.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56nzgN8SBbI

That is an over gassed gun. The bolt is over running the empty case.

Or under sprung... Seen many reports of the same with psa lr308 guns. Could also be a buffer weight problem.

Dolo,
There are makers of standard lr308 bcg's with dual ejectors. I have one in my .260rem build.

Or under sprung... Seen many reports of the same with psa lr308 guns. Could also be a buffer weight problem.

Dolo,
There are makers of standard lr308 bcg's with dual ejectors. I have one in my .260rem build.

Under sprung might be it. I've never messed with an AR10.
The buffer and spring seems short for 308. Actually not at all hard to compress.

Dolo,

That is the easiest way to tell a G1 from a G2 which are both DPMS. I would not buy any 308 from a budget brand other than the DPMS G2.

What brand is your 260? Dare I say not a budget brand?

That is the easiest way to tell a G1 from a G2 which are both DPMS. I would not buy any 308 from a budget brand other than the DPMS G2.

What brand is your 260? Dare I say not a budget brand?

I build all my gas guns. Barrel is a Bartelin 20", upper/lower Saltworks, BCG from KAK. Budget wouldn't be a word I would use to describe it. Accurate would be :)
I have a gen I DPMS and has been ultra reliable. It is a hog slayer. Sub MOA with a 16" barrel. Owned it since 2007. Four DMPS .308's have won
rifle of the year to include this year. More than any other manufacturer. To my best of knowledge no other has won for a .308 AR.

That being said a friends M&P10 was having the same issues as the OP and we replaced the extractor spring and insert and it ran fine. Edited by R1100R

I have a gen I DPMS and has been ultra reliable. It is a hog slayer. Sub MOA with a 16" barrel. Owned it since 2007. Four DMPS .308's have won
rifle of the year to include this year. More than any other manufacturer. To my best of knowledge no other has won for a .308 AR.

That being said a friends M&P10 was having the same issues as the OP and we replaced the extractor spring and insert and it ran fine.

I agree. I have a DPMS GEN 1 AP4 LR-308 Carbine that won the NRA Golden Bullseye Award for Rifle of the Year in 2006.

I bought mine in 2007 and it’s been a great rifle, no problems, and almost as accurate as my Remington VLS 308 bolt.

I have a pretty good collection of M&P handguns and rifles. I want to add the M&P 10 to the collection, but I want a heavy barrel and a quad rail on it from the factory.
Nothing new to update on.
The previous owner found his receipt and is going to call Palmetto tomorrow.
Palmetto is willing to warranty it, but only with receipt and to original owner.
They even offered to pay shipping both ways.

No need for me to figure it out if they are will to do it free.
Needless to say, Palmetto found them selves a new customer.
Can't beat service like that....
  • Like 1

Nothing new to update on.
The previous owner found his receipt and is going to call Palmetto tomorrow.
Palmetto is willing to warranty it, but only with receipt and to original owner.
They even offered to pay shipping both ways.

No need for me to figure it out if they are will to do it free.
Needless to say, Palmetto found them selves a new customer.
Can't beat service like that....

This is good as there have been some growing pains with the PA-10.  They just got into the business of .308 AR's and there have been numerous reports of issues.

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE

Got the upper back and ran some rounds through it.
Palmetto replaced the Bolt Assembly.
All brass ran fine. Mix of FMJ NATO and Soft point hunting.

Had one fail to load fully with WOLF steel case. It was the first round from the mag using the bolt catch to release the bolt. This same round failed to eject.
Recoil was noticeably less with this ammo.
The WOLF steel cases are not as slick as brass.
So I'm going with ammo was the issue there.
Other than that it ran fine.

Again, all Brass case ammo ran fine.
Only one issue with steel case.
  • 2 weeks later...