What's the rationale for a truck/car long gun?

jgradyc

Why not just get an AK pistol? 

Cheap ammo and cheap gun. :up:

On sale here for $459 and they come with two steel 30rd mags that lock the bolt back on empty. 

But out of stock: http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/zastava-pap-m92-pv-pistol-hg3089-n-detail.html?Itemid=0

https://youtu.be/BGazuiBdGvk

In stock here as of this post: http://www.jgsales.com/yugo-zastava-pap-m92pv-ak-style-pistol,-krinkov-pattern,-7.62x39,-wood-stock,-new.-p-57965.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrJvNZprEwo

I have one myself. If you don't put a flash hider on it, it'll fit in a backpack fine. Removing the flash hider is simple, though. Edited by JohnC
  • Like 1

I always thought a truck gun was a firearm you did not worry about. If it got a little beat up from bouncing around who cared?

I am not quite ready to always keep a rifle with me just yet. Road trips I do but the daily grind not so much.

Hence the AK for me. I'm not big on safe queens. My AKs look like AKs. Plus they're relatively cheap in the realm of military style rifles, so if I lose one I can go get another without much heartache.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by TMF
  • Like 2

That's a crew cab Silverado. I said it wasn't mine, I didn't say I don't have one like it [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What year? I have a '14 2500 silverado and my back seat looks nothing like that. Matter of fact the hinge is in the back of the seat and folds up towards the back of the truck. 

These guys make some pretty good underseat storage for trucks http://www.duhabins.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQiAnJqzBRCW0rGWnKnckOIBEiQA6qDBahyomZSdBV7Ml9Uif18kmMpNXPbikwzABqqNuP1IyLIaAhUX8P8HAQ

the one I got from them has rifle provisions in it.

I have an AR most times in my truck. I'm not too concerned about it being stolen. However, I am uneasy leaving it out in the driveway in my truck all night because I don't want to provide such a weapon to a would-be invader of my home. I lock my truck doors and have it hidden well, but trucks are easily broken in to. Do most of you leave it out all night or bring it inside?

I have an AR most times in my truck. I'm not too concerned about it being stolen. However, I am uneasy leaving it out in the driveway in my truck all night because I don't want to provide such a weapon to a would-be invader of my home. I lock my truck doors and have it hidden well, but trucks are easily broken in to. Do most of you leave it out all night or bring it inside?

I normally don't leave any guns in the truck on purpose. My truck AR is in a real discrete takedown case, so it's no biggie to carry it in and out

• Like 1

Do most of you leave it out all night or bring it inside?

Never.

If you leave a gun in your car over-night, you're at a high risk of it being stolen and I am not one to want to make it so easy for a criminal to get a gun like an AR or AK. :meh:

What if a meth-head gets it and then decides to do a home invasion?

Just take the thing inside when you're home. It might be a PITA, but its is better than the alternative.

Night is the time thieves break in to cars. I've lived in places where entire rows of cars got broken in to in the early AM (mostly 3-4am).

When I lived out by MTSU, I actually woke out of deep sleep to glass breaking, but was so tired I fell right back asleep. When I came outside the next day, all the cars in the row in front of my window had broken drivers side windows and had anything of value stolen.

Some of the jobless thugs make a living trolling apartment complexes in the AM. They break in to any vehicle that looks like they might have something of value and then they sale the loot for a real low price just to move the stolen goods and make a quick buck. Alarms won't save you. If they know it has an alarm, they get under the car and cut the battery cable.

On of my friends had a Jeep SUV with a radio system. Being a 4x4, they got right under there and cut his battery wire and alarm horn thingy and then ripped his jeep apart to get that system out - all while he slept. Edited by JohnC
  • Like 1
I'm too uneasy to leave it out on purpose because I don't want it to be used against me or neighbors. I just need to find a way to move it in/out without broadcasting it to the neighborhood because it's a pain. Maybe start using my AR pistol like OS or just get a takedown case

I normally don't leave any guns in the truck on purpose. My truck AR is in a real discrete takedown case, so it's no biggie to carry it in and out

Never.If you leave a gun in your car over-night, you're at a high risk of it being stolen and I am not one to want to make it so easy for a criminal to get a gun like an AR or AK. :meh:What if a meth-head gets it and then decides to do a home invasion?Just take the thing inside when you're home. It might be a PITA, but its is better than the alternative.Night is the time thieves break in to cars. I've lived in places where entire rows of cars got broken in to in the early AM (mostly 3-4am).When I lived out by MTSU, I actually woke out of deep sleep to glass breaking, but was so tired I fell right back asleep. When I came outside the next day, all the cars in the row in front of my window had broken drivers side windows and had anything of value stolen.Some of the jobless thugs make a living trolling apartment complexes in the AM. They break in to any vehicle that looks like they might have something of value and then they sale the loot for a real low price just to move the stolen goods and make a quick buck. Alarms won't save you. If they know it has an alarm, they get under the car and cut the battery cable.On of my friends had a Jeep SUV with a radio system. Being a 4x4, they got right under there and cut his battery wire and alarm horn thingy and then ripped his jeep apart to get that system out - all while he slept.

Edited by Wingshooter

I'm too uneasy to leave it out on purpose because I don't want it to be used against me or neighbors. I just need to find a way to move it in/out without broadcasting it to the neighborhood because it's a pain. Maybe start using my AR pistol like OS or just get a takedown case

Let me grab a link to one I seen a while back. It has law tactical folder, folding pistol grip, and the barrel has a quick detach, so it'll fit in a small bag like something you'd take your gym shoes home in. :up:
  • Like 1

That's the good thing about an AK, or even a Mini 14. You can fold em up. The idea of a rifle caliber "pistol" never has lit me up. I'm all for small, but really want something effective too. You just can't beat a rifle when that's what you need.

I feel the same way. I like having a real rifle in my truck. For years I had a socked win94 under the seat. I've recently moved to an AR. If I could find a receiver in stock to put my AK underfolder together, I might assign it to the backseat. That should be easy to carry in/out without having to take it apart.

That's the good thing about an AK, or even a Mini 14. You can fold em up. The idea of a rifle caliber "pistol" never has lit me up. I'm all for small, but really want something effective too. You just can't beat a rifle when that's what you need.

I think a 7.62x39 out of a 10in barrel is going to do plenty.

Look at any pistol with a 7.62 bullet and less powder and barrel length and they're plenty lethal.

Also, if a 28 to 40 grain 5.7x28mm out of a Five-seveN pistol with 4.8in barrel is lethal (see 13 dead at Fort Hood terrorist attack), I think a 62 grain 5.56x45 out of an AR Pistol will be fine.

I doubt your threat is going to be very far away in a SHTF active shooter aka terrorist attack, so these rifle caliber pistols ought to be fine. Plus, in a self-defense shooting, you don't want to be shooting at someone 200 yards away as I bet a DA will see that as a situation you could have escaped and might try to charge you. :shrug:

All opinions here, so take it fwiw. :up:

The biggest problem with my AR pistol is that it's built with the TGO billet set, and I'd prefer a beater for a truck gun. It's an accurate and reliable shooter though.

Here's my pistol in 8.5" 300BO. (Just needs a different grip)
1032e7334e7b6b5efdac94635855c55b_zpszjja

Almost fits in a small backpack. Fits great in a racquet case.
b4ea381a4e8eb164dc6508b1d4930a28_zpseqog

Edited by Wingshooter

I think a 7.62x39 out of a 10in barrel is going to do plenty.

Look at any pistol with a 7.62 bullet and less powder and barrel length and they're plenty lethal.

Also, if a 28 to 40 grain 5.7x28mm out of a Five-seveN pistol with 4.8in barrel is lethal (see 13 dead at Fort Hood terrorist attack), I think a 62 grain 5.56x45 out of an AR Pistol will be fine.

I doubt your threat is going to be very far away in a SHTF active shooter aka terrorist attack, so these rifle caliber pistols ought to be fine. Plus, in a self-defense shooting, you don't want to be shooting at someone 200 yards away as I bet a DA will see that as a situation you could have escaped and might try to charge you. :shrug:

All opinions here, so take it fwiw. :up:

Right. A 300 blackout ROCKS with a 10" barrel, just like an AK (hell, it IS an AK round). But, I need a STOCK, and they ain't gonna let you do that with a pistol.

• Like 1

The biggest problem with my AR pistol is that it's built with the TGO billet set, and I'd prefer a beater for a truck gun. It's an accurate and reliable shooter though.

Here's my pistol in 8.5" 300BO. (Just needs a different grip)
1032e7334e7b6b5efdac94635855c55b_zpszjja

Almost fits in a small backpack. Fits great in a racquet case.
b4ea381a4e8eb164dc6508b1d4930a28_zpseqog

Trust me, I know how you feel. I built a AR15 Pistol with small, lightweight, and cheap in mind for a SHTF truck gun. It morphed in to over a $2k build that isn't very light nor compact. :meh:

But man does it handle and shoot nice! http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/90272-mega-arms-ar15-pistol-build/

So my AK47 Pistol will be the truck gun for now.
  • Like 1

.... Do most of you leave it out all night or bring it inside?

Some of the jobless thugs make a living trolling apartment complexes in the AM. They break in to any vehicle that looks like they might have something of value and then they sale the loot for a real low price just to move the stolen goods and make a quick buck. Alarms won't save you. If they know it has an alarm, they get under the car and cut the battery cable.

Guess I've been pretty lucky, lived in same apt complex going on 19 years now, with majority of the residents on some sort of gummit assistance or other (not me, though)...worst thing that ever happened was some kids keying one of them years ago. Various stuff piled in the bed with a camper top that just pulls up with a firm jerk even if locked. Nothing super valuable showing, but there's probably 50 bucks worth of odds and ends back there visible, just not stuff much worth fencing though.

Then again, maybe that's why, less than stellar digs and my primary chariot being a '95 S10, no alarm even, but also obviously no "sound system" or stuff like that. So my AR stays behind the seat for about a year now.

Of course, knowing Mr. Murphy pretty well, my luck will probably change this very night now that I've said that.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Guess I've been pretty lucky, lived in same apt complex going on 19 years now, with majority of the residents on some sort of gummit assistance or other (not me, though)...worst thing that ever happened was some kids keying one of them years ago. Various stuff piled in the bed with a camper top that just pulls up with a firm jerk even if locked. Nothing super valuable showing, but there's probably 50 bucks worth of odds and ends back there plainly visible.

Then again, maybe that's why, less than stellar digs and my primary chariot being a '95 S10, no alarm even. So my AR stays behind the seat for about a year now.

Of course, knowing Mr. Murphy pretty well, my luck will probably change this very night now that I've said that.

- OS

I left my Mustang GT at my parents while going to MTSU at first and drove an old 230k mile 1987 F250 (until it overheated and popped a head gasket via letting my dad drive it and he didn't check the coolant like i told him to [radiator had leak]). I had a cheap detachable face Pioneer CD player in the dash with face on, but the truck looked so old, they skipped it and went for the newer nicer cars. Had they even looked, they'd probably busted my window and stole my CD player. I got lucky that day.

Sometimes having an old beater and not having to worry about it is better than having an expensive new vehicle.