What's the rationale for a truck/car long gun?

jgradyc

Fellas, git yerself a padded electric guitar gig bag. Perfect for a rifle and you can fit 7 or 8 mags in the front pocket of most of them. You just look like a rock star, not a paranoid gun nut. Appearances are everything. That's all I'm gunna say. Edited by musicman
  • Like 5

Fellas, git yerself a padded electric guitar gig bag. Perfect for a rifle and you can fit 7 or 8 mags in the front pocket of most of them. You just look like a rock star, not a paranoid gun nut. Appearances are everything. That's all I'm gunna say.

Good idea for storage and being low vis...but you think that might make a vehicle breakin more attractive to someone who wants to do a smash & grab, then take it to a pawn shop for a quick payday?

Good idea for storage and being low vis...but you think that might make a vehicle breakin more attractive to someone who wants to do a smash & grab, then take it to a pawn shop for a quick payday?

Not everyone drives a truck. ;-)

Also, the importance and usefulness of a large towel in the vehicle at all times cannot be overstated. That's one item my Dad has taught me to always have in hand, and that has been invaluable throughout the years. In fact, whenever I get another car, I purchase a set of quality towels and handcloths specifically for that vehicle. Great for cleaning, emergencies, a clean place on the side of the road for fixing flats, and also concealment of valuables.

You guys DO know that houses get broken into as well, right? I doubt that with any reasonable cost one can COMPLETELY prevent theft. We choose our perception of a given reality and make our decisions based on that.
  • Like 1

Not everyone drives a truck. ;-)

Ahh yes, there are those people out there.  I'll stop now before I offend you and violate your safe space. :P

You guys DO know that houses get broken into as well, right? I doubt that with any reasonable cost one can COMPLETELY prevent theft. We choose our perception of a given reality and make our decisions based on that.

Agreed, but I always see an unattended car as a easier target.  I know a more than a few people who have had their care broken into, and only one or two who ever said their house was broken into.  So I suppose my view of this is tinted by that preconception.  A guitar case just seems like too tempting a target for someone looking to make an easy score to buy their next high, though it would make for a great rifle bag as you mention.

I hear ya. Funny enough... I've experienced a home break-in, but never a car break-in. Guess I should start keeping my valuables in my car, haha!

I think I can fit most of my watches and the couple rings I own (high school, college, and wedding) in my cupholders. ;-) Edited by musicman

I hear ya. Funny enough... I've experienced a home break-in, but never a car break-in. Guess I should start keepinf my valuables in my car, haha!

I think I can fit most of my watches and the couple rings I own (high school, college, and wedding) in my cupholders. ;-)

If you're gonna do that, might as well make it look like the Clampett's and use that as the next theme for your emerging YouTube career!

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen several comments on this and other gun forums about carrying a long gun in the truck or car. I've thought about it, but I can't envision a scenario where I might need it. 

• If I can get to my car, I'm leaving whatever is the threat. For example, if I were in that party at San Bernardino and got to my car, I'm not getting a weapon and going back in. 
  • If I am in my car, I can't get to the long gun without getting out of the car. (Not quite true for some cars, but definitely not easy to get to.)

So what are scenarios where I might need to carry a long gun?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/12/17/pal-san-bernardino-terrorists-arrested-on-federal-charges.html

paragraph #4 gives me another good reason for an AR in the truck plus a few mags. They were going to stop traffic on the hwy, then shoot people in their stranded cars.
  • Like 1

I'd be afraid to leave a nice rifle in my vehicle in Memphis very often.  We have a lot of car break ins.

I'm near memphis but rarely hear of break ins in the area I live in.  I've been thinking of leaving a Mini 14 or an AR in my truck.  The last break in I had was at a Lowes over 15 years ago.  I now know not to leave objects visible on the seat of a car even for 5 minutes.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/12/17/pal-san-bernardino-terrorists-arrested-on-federal-charges.html

paragraph #4 gives me another good reason for an AR in the truck plus a few mags. They were going to stop traffic on the hwy, then shoot people in their stranded cars.

This. I now have renewed interest in finishing up my mini Draco and finding the right case.

• Like 2

Most car break-ins are smash and grab. I doubt if they spend more than 30 seconds in the car. I wonder if some type of bicycle cable lock might allow you to keep a gun in the back seat area, but still allow you access without leaving the car? I'll have to think about that.

Edited by jgradyc
Welp... I don't know where this thread has meandered off to, but I keep my shorty .44 lever gun behind the seat of my truck for the occasional coyote, fox or coyote I come across. While I'm away in Florida, Georgia, Alabama or Texas it serves as an impromptu "Oooh....a hog!" gun.
I'd never really considered it as a self/truck defense weapon. The .45 between the seats, the .44 under the seat & the .22 mag in the ashtray have me covered for that. If it goes beyond that, they can have the damn truck!

That's why I would like to carry a full sized scoped rifle. If I can see the shooter; I can take him out.
Even in CA I don't think a shooter would be out in traffic shooting for long before he caught a bullet in the head.
  • Like 1
By preference and hard experience, battles are fought with long guns. Handguns are a secondary, but convenient, weapon.

Doc Holliday had time to choose and carried a shotgun to the "OK Corral" fight. He was hell on wheels with a handgun, but chose a shotgun.

I'd like to be able to choose also.

That's why I would like to carry a full sized scoped rifle. If I can see the shooter; I can take him out.Even in CA I don't think a shooter would be out in traffic shooting for long before he caught a bullet in the head.

Funny enough, I have a buddy who runs heavy equipment in Ca and got shot at while working on a freeway expansion.

Guy pulls up on the shoulder near the work sight, gets out of his car and proceeds to 'bust caps' in the general direction of the workers, does this for about a minute IIRC then gets back in his car and drives off. Police arrived promptly, but dude was long gone.

I know at LEAST 2 of the guys started carrying daily after that irregartless of the asinine system out there, and one who was trying to get to his vehicle after the first few shots to return fire.
Sig 5.56 pistol for me. I keep a single point sling on and a 20 round mag inserted at all times. Fits in a standard size backpack. The pack has a hydration sleeve in it for a bladder.

I keep (4) 30 round mags in the front pouch. I also keep a buffer tube with a sig brace mounted on it in the front pouch. It is nice and stealthy. I can roll out of the car pretty quickly with it and using the single point sling for a cheek weld I can provide highly accurate fire out to 25 yards no problem.

If the unthinkable were to happen and I'm walking home with a deployed carbine I can remove the back plate and screw the buffer tube with sig brace on it in about a minute. That empties out the backpack and provides a space for weather appropriate gear and clothing along with a few mre's. I always keep a case of water in the truck for when I'm travelling so i fill the bladder up and I'm pretty much ready to go.

Last piece is a battle belt with a pistol holster, light holder and pistol and AR mag holders. That stuff stays in my get home bag.

I keep more in my bag but that is for getting caught in weather related road closings. Has happened a few times to me.

My total load out with weapons, ammo,food, and water is about 30#'s. My days of carrying a 60-70 pound pack are years behind me.

Mark
  • Like 1

That's a well thought out load and setup MarkA along with solid rationale for such.

The potential for a scenario as laid out in Forstchen's "Day of Wrath" is a likely situation, on some level at least. A variation of it was mentioned earlier in this thread stemming from the San Bernardino terrorist attacks investigation. Might want to read and at least consider the possibility.

http://www.amazon.com/Wrath-Dies-Irae-William-Forstchen/dp/1625781547/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1450701512&sr=1-1&keywords=day+of+wrath+forstchen

Getting home is my #1 priority. I'll stack the deck in my favor in whatever manner is necessary.