Wireless Pet Fence

I put in a SportDog at my parents.  Works great.  Not sure how much area you have, but my dad and I rigged up a tooth from his box blade to the hitch receiver on my four wheeler and used a spool to simply drive through the yard and install it.  We did about 2 acres in 30 minutes in some rough area.  

One note, get a surge protector.  It will get struck by lighting at some point.

http://smile.amazon.com/SportDOG-Brand-SDF-100A--Ground-System/dp/B003P443C4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450669568&sr=8-1&keywords=sportdog+wireless+fence

Edited by Hozzie
Not sure if my buddy was serious, but he told me that his parents dog used to lay down by the wire to use up the battery on the collar, then wonder the neighborhood when he knew that he wouldn't be shocked anymore. I guess you gotta make sure the dogs not too smart.
  • Like 1

I have had good results over the years. Also, initial training is very important. I still have a dog that gives surveying flags a wide berth. (used in training to mark the fence line) That being said, I had one dog that thought the shock was worth the reward. He would cross/yelp/then go on his way. Later he would return home and sit  at the fence line barking waiting for me to come get him.

Edited by hughd

We've had the "bury the wire" version for years with great results.  When inside a normal fence, our dog would dig.  Like dig to China dig until she got out. 

Best advice I can give is do a lot of work training the dog.  Couple times/day for the first week or two, then daily for another couple weeks.  Figure out what the dog likes... be that food treats, affection, play, ... whatever.  Do your walks around the perimeter and when the collar beeps and the dog backs up, provide generous rewards. Repeat. 

And yes, get the lightning protector.  Lightning doesn't have to hit your house directly, anywhere nearby will zap it.  Ours got hit twice before I got the protector (I'm a slow learner).

We have the Petsafe brand unit with buried wire. Can't recommend it enough. I will say though, if you have a dog bigger than a chihuahua don't even bother with the collar box that comes with the unit. Order a "stubborn" collar for larger breeds.
  • Like 1

Yes, we just had our installed three weeks ago for a German shepherd pup. We had three acres enclosed for him to roam. We are, so far, very satisfied.  You will have to spend three or four 15 minute sessions a day to train your pup. It only takes a couple of days, depending on how stubborn your pet is, for them to learn. Our dog now goes outside unattended and stops well short of the boundary. When doing leash work, you can't drag him up to a flag.

After comparing all the different ones we chose Dog Watch. Mainly because of the fm signal vs. am, user changeable batteries, batteries available anywhere vs. proprietary, user adjustable levels of compliance, and of course cost for installation and training. Also Dog Watch offers a handy little indoor puck like emitter that you can place wherever you "need" inside. You can use it to keep the dog away from stuff, like litter boxes and Christmas trees/packages, or place in a doorway to contain the dog to a room, like when you have guests. The emitter comes with little baby flags, lol, and since your pet is trained with flags, a visual cue to the forthcoming shock, we now simply move the indoor flags around where needed and the dog stays away. 

You can save money by DIY, but if you have a large area, I'd let them do it. I don't have the will, want or desire to trench around three acres, go back and bury wire, etc. etc.

You can save money by DIY, but if you have a large area, I'd let them do it. I don't have the will, want or desire to trench around three acres, go back and bury wire, etc. etc.

This reminded me, go to your nearest equipment rental place and rent a "dog fence trencher", yes seriously. It's a trencher that you pull instead of pushing and it lays the wire and buries it all at the same time. No "going back and burying wire", nothing like that. We did very near 3 acres of our property in just a little over 3 hours. I believe it was $50 to rent the machine for the weekend, very good investment.
  • Like 2

I have good results over the years. Also, initial training is very important. I still have a dog that gives surveying flags a wide berth. (used in training to mark the fence line) That being said, I had one dog that thought the shock was worth the reward. He would cross/yelp/then go on his way. Later he would return home and sit  at the fence line barking waiting for me to come get him.

+1 to what hughd wrote

We've had 3 dogs since having the "buried wire" type pet fence (~1 acre) installed and it has worked well for us.  Initial training (for both us and the dogs) was essential. 

One of our dogs (a male lab) braved the shock a couple of times to go after another male dog that was in our yard (fence doesn't cover all of our yard).  Other than that we've had really good luck with it for over 15 years.

We also lost one of the control units when lightening struck a tree in our yard (get a good surge protector).

Bury it well.  We did not bury ours good enough and broke it.  Now try finding where the line is cut!  

We did have success when it worked.  It didn't quit because if was faulty, it was owner error.  

My experience with stubborn dogs though is that it's not as effective.  My Husky would get a full head of steam and get through it when she wanted to.

For a little dog, no worries.  We cranked up the max distance for the shock and the max impact.  The Husky finally got tamed.  The little dog took once on full power and never tried it again.  I think he peed himself.

Bury it well. We did not bury ours good enough and broke it. Now try finding where the line is cut!

We did have success when it worked. It didn't quit because if was faulty, it was owner error.

My experience with stubborn dogs though is that it's not as effective. My Husky would get a full head of steam and get through it when she wanted to.

For a little dog, no worries. We cranked up the max distance for the shock and the max impact. The Husky finally got tamed. The little dog took once on full power and never tried it again. I think he peed himself.

Did you have the stubborn collar on the husky or just the normal one that comes with the kit?

For really stubborn dogs, the wireless version works better as it continues to zap them until they return.  The wired version only zaps them when they're close to the wire. 

And +1 to the trencher.  Tell the equipment rental folks what you're doing and they'll tell you which machine you need.  I used a "landscape trencher" which only cut a narrow slit.  It only took 30 mins to do my 1/2 acre. 

We use a Petsafe wireless system...the kind uses a transmitter to broadcast a wireless signal so you don't have a buried wire. It works great but there is a drawback to consider...the dog can go anywhere within the range of the transmitter, and since it transmits a 360 degree field the dog may be able to go all the way around your house if the transmitter is sitting in your house. You can't contain the dog to just a portion of the yard.

The Petsafe wireless was the one we were looking at, we live in the sticks so we have plenty of room for them to roam. How big of an area will the Petsafe wireless give them. They are both lab mixes and hard headed as  mules. Ease of installation is another reason for considering the wirless.

I was going to post a similar question to the op but saw this and figured I would ask here, is there anything like a wireless pet fence for the indoors like to keep your cat or dog inside or out of certain rooms?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea. It's called doors

How big of an area will the Petsafe wireless give them.

Not sure exactly, but on ours the transmitter strength (range) is adjustable from 0 - 8. Our transmitter sits inside the house next to a back window on the East side of the house, is set on 5, and provides about 40' of range across the back yard. This also provides about 10' of range on the North side of the house, about 6' on the West side, and just a few feet on part of the South side, so the dog can walk a little more than 3/4 of the way around the house.

I was going to post a similar question to the op but saw this and figured I would ask here, is there anything like a wireless pet fence for the indoors like to keep your cat or dog inside or out of certain rooms?

Cats don't like citrus. If they're eating house plants, sit a few lemon or orange wedges in the pot and they'll leave it alone. If you've got a cat door, you can spray it with lemon pledge when the cat is out and it won't come back in for a day or two. :)

Invisible Fence has an indoor unit, and it sounds like Dog Watch has something similar. It creates a smaller field that can be used indoors. An alternative for cats is called Ssscat. It is basically canned air with a motion sensor that sets it off, sending a "shhhhhhhhh" sound toward the cat. Cats hate it, and it is quite entertaining to watch. We used to use one to keep the cats away from or bedroom dooe in the morning. They only set it off twice before they learned. We would find them sitting at the end of the hall waiting for us.
  • Like 1

i have been using the pet safe in ground wire system for 15 years.  it has work on two different hard head boxers.  had to get the bigger shock collar with the five levels of correction after several years on the first dog.  the second dog started with the bigger used collar. he has never gotten out.  get the surge protector so lightning will not kill the main controller box.  third year with the system a storm came by and lightning hit close to the house.  i found the controller box in small parts all over the basement.  i put the wire just under the grass with my shovel.  not hard to do. i went all around the house so my dog can run on all four sides.  i did not do any so call training with the flags.  i got the system ready and walked the dog up to the fence line and shocked him.  took the dog to four different points around the house to show the shock line, then gave a shock to dog.  training done.  my dog will not break the line even with the collar off or battery dead.  when i take him riding in the truck i have to take the collar off before he will load in the truck.  i would have went with the wireless but 15 years ago the wireless did not work well.  

Did you have the stubborn collar on the husky or just the normal one that comes with the kit?

I had the long prong collar.  We even shaved her neck hair short where it would come in contact.  You just can't stop a determined Siberian Husky!  They are extremely powerful dogs.  I've heard they are the strongest dog pound for pound.  Plus they are very headstrong as well.  Luckily they are loyal!

I had the long prong collar. We even shaved her neck hair short where it would come in contact. You just can't stop a determined Siberian Husky! They are extremely powerful dogs. I've heard they are the strongest dog pound for pound. Plus they are very headstrong as well. Luckily they are loyal!

The length of the prongs doesn't designate a stubborn collar. The stubborn box is a larger, more square box than the one that comes with the kit. Such as this f67f739fdc4799beba11debd815ffb7c.jpg Edited by KKing