S&W 3rd Gen 59 Series 9mm magazine opinions, please!

I'm the proud owner of a 3rd Gen S&W 5906. My first nine was a 915, a budget version of this pistol. 9mm and double stacked magazines holding 15 rounds. I'm definitely gonna pony up and buy 2 S&W factory magazines but I'm curious about any TGOer's first hand experience with aftermarket 15rd, 17rd and extended capacity magazines. I currently have 4 15 rounder after market magazines but have yet to take any to the range.

You have the best pistol S&W ever marketed and are not likely to see its like anywhere again. If at all possible I would recommend you obtain and stick with OEM mags for your 5909. Others will jump out and talk up aftermarket mags for it, though so try what works. To run your gun properly you essentially need five magazines. Given the size of the 5906 I really don't care for extended magazines in it. I do recommend you purchase and either install or set aside for late a couple of sets of replacement springs for your pistol. Having owned one of the earliest of S&W M-59's as well as several M-39's and a 3906 the 5906 was the only one where I felt S&W got it right.

• Like 1
Thanks, TNWNGR, I definitely am going to try to acquire at least 2 new factory mags and am gonna chat up every city officer I know here locally as I know they used to be required to carry S&W autos in the 90's. Replacement springs are in my to do list as well. This is a beautiful pistol, built to last (with maintenance). I had a trigger return spring break in a 2nd Gen G19 so I am well aware that nothing lasts forever. Except Twinkies ;)
Thanks Peejman, were they the 15rd or 17rd for this pistol or another platform entirely. The one MecGar I have is blued steel with 5, 10 and 15 round counter holes in the side, drops freely empty, base plate actually locks and last round hold open works while hand cycling.
I have had good success with the Mec-gar mags but they aren't quite as smooth as the factory mags and I had one that was a bit reluctant to lock in. If you can get some factory mags do it.

Wolff sells the mag springs and I keep extras around along with recoil and hammer springs.

They were nicely made weapons. I still have a 4026 that was shot more than I can count in USPSA matches.
Just realized my KelTec P32 mags were made by Mec-Gar. No KelTecs but I kept a couple mags. The KelTec P11 accepts S&W mags so it kinda makes sense that they may make the best aftermarket option. I am eyeballing some stainless aftermarket magazines from keepshooting.com...
15rnd and blue. I bought them to save wear on the factory mags I had. I don't think you would see any performance difference because of finish. But for carry I'd think about nickel for sure. The 9mm is all gone now all I have in S&W are revolvers and 40cal. Kind of wish I had that 5906 back...

Thanks Peejman, were they the 15rd or 17rd for this pistol or another platform entirely. The one MecGar I have is blued steel with 5, 10 and 15 round counter holes in the side, drops freely empty, base plate actually locks and last round hold open works while hand cycling.

I've got two 15 rd mags for a Ruger and one 12 rd for my S&W 6904.  They all work fine. 

15rnd and blue. I bought them to save wear on the factory mags I had. I don't think you would see any performance difference because of finish. But for carry I'd think about nickel for sure. The 9mm is all gone now all I have in S&W are revolvers and 40cal. Kind of wish I had that 5906 back...

The last 3rd gen S&W M-39 I owned was a 3913 which I loved and regret not hanging on to. I also regret not having the foresight to pick up a 5906 before they were discontinued. But at the time everything I was issued, routinely shot and even carried off duty was a Glock. I made the decision to focus on that sole platform in training courses and practice. Now though I rarely even touch a Glock pistol. Overall I'm pretty turned off by polymer pistols or striker fired pistols in all persuasions. It'd be nice to see S&W do a "Classic" Model release of the 5906 and 3913 again, I believe they'd probably sell enough to be worth the effort.

• Like 1
For what my opinion is worth, I have no problems buying Mec-gar mags. They are the actual manufacturer for many companies. I've used them in my Sigs, Smiths, Taurus,, BHPs, and CZ pistols without issues.

I cannot say the same of Promag though. I prefer not to use them.
  • Like 2

For what my opinion is worth, I have no problems buying Mec-gar mags. They are the actual manufacturer for many companies. I've used them in my Sigs, Smiths, Taurus,, BHPs, and CZ pistols without issues.

I cannot say the same of Promag though. I prefer not to use them.

I hadn't thought about it but this is my experience as well.

I probably have a promag or two laying around somewhere and I probably ought to dispose of them so someone doesn't depend on them working...

Thanks hipower, McGarrett and DWARREN123 for your input! I'm gonna focus on obtaining new and used factory mags and pistol replacement springs and then pick up a couple of 17rd nickel MecGars to wear out at the range once I start shooting regularly again. Thanks again to all who have commented so far, TGO rocks!
  • Like 1