I took a new shooter out the other day...

Mwhiskey

I took my buddy from Ohio shooting and off roading for the first time!  He's around the age of 25 I'd say, and had never done anything like this before.  We had a BLAST.  Lol, he even called me back that next morning and said he had dreams at night about shooting!  First, and most important, we went over the rules and safety of firearms. Then, I let him shoot my .22. rifle.(marlin model 60SB)

agoh0hG.jpg?1

He was very safe/comfortable with the .22, so, i put a round in my 9mm and let him fire a shot.(sigp239)  He was like a kid in a candy store!  We worked our way up to a full mag.  My favorite part of the whole day was when he smiled and said, "I love the way it smells".  I can't wait to take him and his girlfriend back.  This was my first time teaching someone new.  I didn't shoot much, but had just as much fun teaching him the basics.

UqTcl1N.jpg?1

Edited by Mwhiskey
  • Like 10

Great job!! Introducing someone to sport shooting is one of the most rewarding things we can do. I've done it a few times and found it to be as pleasurable as you did.

I think I had more fun watching them shoot as when I did on my own. It's such a good feeling, that of teaching others, that is, to do something they might never have undertaken by themselves.

• Like 1
I took my sister and nephew over the holidays. My nephew had never shot any firearm at all and he got to shoot a Mark 3, Springfield XDM 9mm sub and a Mossberg 12 gauge. That one shocked him a little. He had a blast too. I'm on a mission to get all my family shooting. So far it's going real well. Both my sisters and brother in laws want to get CCPs now.

Sent from the Fortress of Solitude.
  • Like 1

I did that once, took a friend that never went shooting before. NEVER AGAIN, his shot grouping was better than mine.

Secretly I feared this too. I'm not a great shooter but in the land of midgets 5'8" makes you a giant!

Good job! However, no pics of the girlfriend = thread fail. :)

She was not there that day...after hearing him talk about how fun it was she wanted to go too! Hopefully tomorrow, good Lord willing and the creek don't rise.  

Edited by Mwhiskey

I did that once, took  a friend that never went shooting before. NEVER AGAIN, his shot grouping was better than mine.

Haha, he plays videos games abunch, so I must say I was worried about that happeing!  We didn't shoot off a rest, but he still kept in the target at 20 yards.  At 50 yards he missed the target some but still had some good hits.  He was all over the place with the 9mm at first with the target set at 10yards.  After about 15-20 rounds he got the hang of it and started getting on paper.  He already says he needs and wants to improve his pistol accuracy!!  I think we have a new case of "TN mountain shooting fever" on our hands boys...he's got it and its spread to his ole lady :hyper:      

Edited by Mwhiskey

I took my sister and nephew over the holidays. My nephew had never shot any firearm at all and he got to shoot a Mark 3, Springfield XDM 9mm sub and a Mossberg 12 gauge. That one shocked him a little. He had a blast too. I'm on a mission to get all my family shooting. So far it's going real well. Both my sisters and brother in laws want to get CCPs now.

My family gets together quite often.  Next time we all get together I'll have my .22's out slinging lead for sure!  Many in my family have grown up around guns, but at the same time grown out of them too.

I can't wait for my friend to shoot my 12 gauge-hopefully tomorrow!  There is a little angel on one side of my head saying, "be nice, just put birdshot in it", and then there's that little devil on the other side saying, "turkey load, TuRkey LOAD!"  

He liked shooting a 12 gauge shotgun, even though it was almost dark and almost to darn cold...too cold for the ladies lol, maybe next time.  Started him out using birdshot on the paper targets...but this the was his first slug.  His face, hahaha!  Once again, an epic outing.qCqBVIa.jpg?1

wBS59tb.jpg?2

Haha, he plays videos games abunch, so I must say I was worried about that happeing!  We didn't shoot off a rest, but he still kept in the target at 20 yards.  At 50 yards he missed the target some but still had some good hits.  He was all over the place with the 9mm at first with the target set at 10yards.  After about 15-20 rounds he got the hang of it and started getting on paper.  He already says he needs and wants to improve his pistol accuracy!!  I think we have a new case of "TN mountain shooting fever" on our hands boys...he's got it and its spread to his ole lady :hyper:      

Did it with my old .357.  I had him on the ar, ak, and FAL. But the .357 was my undoing.  Overall, I was greatly impressed and it doesnt hurt his had is a marine.

• Like 1
It is my personal mission to take people out that have never shot anything before (especially kids) and let them shoot what I have.

It is the only way to defeat the propaganda and lies floated by the gun control ( insert your favorite euphemism).

My grandson recently went through 600 rounds of 5.56 on a three day visit with me, plus some kind gentleman at the range let him shoot his suppressed AR. That is how one demolishes the gun control argument.

One person at a time. Future voters. Next generation.

I don't care what it costs me.
  • Like 5

I was a Hunters Safety Instructor for about 10 years when I lived in Illinois. We had mostly kids go thru the course so they could get their first hunting license, also had plenty of adults that needed the course to get a out of state license where the course was required. The course was given at the Sportsmen's Club I belonged to.

After the class we would let the kids shoot at a few clays. I will never forget the smiles on their faces. Time well spent :pleased:

• Like 1
  • Moderators

Have taken 3 people new to firearms to the range.  All 3 in the process of getting their HCP and additional training.  My entire sales team is looking forward to our range trip coming soon.  I am going to surprise them with an HCP class as a group.  

• Like 1

Glad to see experienced people taking the time to show newbies around. I grew up in a house w/ no guns, and didn't understand why as a youth I always enjoyed hanging at my one friends house (he was a boyscout, father an avid sportsman), and some friends of the family (good German family, hunters, etc.). In fact, was JUST lamenting w/ my parents the fact that I didn't get exposed to any of this stuff as a kid (they were chiding me for taking my children to the range). Had it not been for those .22's we'd sneak in Jeff's basement, I'd probably have never been exposed to it, and may have different views or political opinions now as a result.

Pleased to say, my kids have ALL shot the .22 (rifle and pistol), and my oldest loves the 9mm, but he still doesn't like the 20-ga. If they grow up to be retarded liberals, at least they won't be ignorant one's! :lol:

(Rant on)

This softening and feminizing of the America's youth as promulgated in our public schools and single-mom homes today in the name of 'safety' will have far-reaching affects on our society, and already has (the very concept of a 'micro-aggression' existing is proof positive we've got 20-years worth of pussies to get through). Teach, teach your children well....

(Rant off)

- K

• Like 4

Not trying to nitpick but if this is a new shooter, teaching him to shoot without eye protection is fail, fail, fail. Ever see a ricochet off a tree? I have....

http://www.guns.com/2013/09/26/happens-shoot-shotgun-tree-20ft-away-video/

Good eye.  I'm guilty as charged, we had our excuses not to wear them (mainly we couldn't see out of the dang things it was so cold and they were badly scratched), but you are VERY right.  I was wondering who would point it out.  That guy in the video had it coming for him~ just my .02.  Definitaly a lucky guy, but his hat not so lucky lol.  I will definalty show my buddy the video you shared and let him realize that we were lucky that day.  Any recommendations on a good pair of glasses? Ive always had cheap plastic ones i end up wearing to work and messing up...

Good eye. I'm guilty as charged, we had our excuses not to wear them (mainly we couldn't see out of the dang things it was so cold and they were badly scratched), but you are VERY right. I was wondering who would point it out. That guy in the video had it coming for him~ just my .02. Definitaly a lucky guy, but his hat not so lucky lol. I will definalty show my buddy the video you shared and let him realize that we were lucky that day. Any recommendations on a good pair of glasses? Ive always had cheap plastic ones i end up wearing to work and messing up...

I think I have two pair of your average Walmart grade winchester glasses. One clear and one tinted. I usually just wear my sunglasses though. I've got a set of Oakley juliets that I've managed to keep up with since around 2010.

I think I have two pair of your average Walmart grade winchester glasses. One clear and one tinted. I usually just wear my sunglasses though. I've got a set of Oakley juliets that I've managed to keep up with since around 2010.

I need to break down and buy a couple of the average ones your talking about and keep em' in a shooting bag that I also need to purchase :grouchy:.  

Edited by Mwhiskey