Informing a LEO that your carrying, at a traffic stop

Guest johnmattwill

I've had a couple made up that even have my HCP number on them.

I've heard that if you're ever caught in an "intense situation", when arriving on the scene, an LEO won't shoot a gun with a badge when he sees it as opposed to seeing a gun without one.

I've been concealing my badge here recently as I was afraid of being sited for impersonation of an LEO.

I realize they really only hold a novelty value, but how are they really accepted by most LEOs?

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest eyebedam
Lucky...you need to get one more specific for TN.

TN_Handgun_Carry_Badge.jpg

:P :P

If you do get 1 make sure you get a lanyard so you can wear it around your neck like our favorite famous Bounty Hunter. Dog Chapman.

Guest bkelm18

I've heard that if you're ever caught in an "intense situation", when arriving on the scene, an LEO won't shoot a gun with a badge when he sees it as opposed to seeing a gun without one.

I've been concealing my badge here recently as I was afraid of being sited for impersonation of an LEO.

I realize they really only hold a novelty value, but how are they really accepted by most LEOs?

Ok, I'll bite. Thats my issue with them. You said you don't want to be cited for impersonation but you said you want the cops to see that badge and not shoot you. You want the cops to think you are some sort of official. Same thing for anyone else who sees it, you want them to think you are an official and that its ok for you to have a gun. Who actually takes time to read a badge outside of our community? No one. They'll see the badge and assume you are a cop. That's my gripe. YMMV.

Guest abailey362
If you do get 1 make sure you get a lanyard so you can wear it around your neck like our favorite famous Bounty Hunter. Dog Chapman.

Dog only wishes he could legally own a firearm.

Big ass cans of mace FTL

I don't get pulled over except once in a blue moon (expired tags and a headlight is about as exciting as my life gets)... but the subject didn't come up, and the contact was always short and sweet.

The most attention I've ever received from law-enforcement, even out of the many times I have been observed open-carrying, was a quick "You do have a permit, right?" by a Gallatin LEO... but they didn't have any interest in seeing it when I offered, I think the question was more for the benefit of anybody else around who may have wondered if I was 'ok', than because they had any concern.

To paraphrase something Mars used to say when this conversation came up, if you look like somebody who is responsible enough to have a gun, you generally won't get a sideways look (at least 99% of the time, it seems). I guess that's a form of profiling, if you think about it... but I've carried nearly everywhere one would want to go, in mid-tn, for years... and I don't have a single horror story, even open-carrying quite frequently in the summer.

I guess another thing is the issue of a traffic stop is that you've already drawn some negative attention from the LEO (unless it's just a documentation or equipment issue), and he's looking for a reason to make it more than a traffic stop (let's be honest)... but even moreso, he already questions your judgment (hence the blue-lights), and doesn't want any surprises. That's completely understandable... Thing is, if I was pulled over, and the LEO seemed jumpy for some reason, the last thing I would do is introduce the fact that I also have a deadly weapon with me before he even gets a chance to evaluate my demeanor and become more at ease.

ALWAYS politely inform the officer that you have a handgun carry permit and that you currently have a firearm on your person (make sure your hands are very visible and preferably on the steering wheel...it also helps to have all the interior lights on if its dark out). They will thank you and usually (in my few experiences..all 2 of em) give you a break for whatever they were pulling you over for.

Guest bkelm18

I've only been pulled over twice. I informed first thing before making a move. My line of thought is that you should make it as easy as possible on the officer. If its dark, turn on your interior lights. If you've got tinted windows in the back, roll down your rear windows (if you have power windows naturally). The more comfortable the officer is the easier they'll be on you, IMO.

Ok, I'll bite. Thats my issue with them. You said you don't want to be cited for impersonation but you said you want the cops to see that badge and not shoot you. You want the cops to think you are some sort of official. Same thing for anyone else who sees it, you want them to think you are an official and that its ok for you to have a gun. Who actually takes time to read a badge outside of our community? No one. They'll see the badge and assume you are a cop. That's my gripe. YMMV.

It's obvious you're just wanting to argue and/or you haven't read the post clearly.

Guess you missed the line where I said I concealed my badge, just like my gun.

You're also not an LEO, so I'll wait around for someone who is, to give me a valid answer.

I wear mine on my chest just like a real cop.

He does, noticed it right off when I met him.

I don't like to be that conspicuous so I have mine in flip-out wallet with carry permit, can loop over belt whenever I'm in yellow alert or higher.

- OS

It's obvious you're just wanting to argue and/or you haven't read the post clearly.

You're also not an LEO, so I'll wait around for someone who is, to give me a valid answer.

I think you'll find varying opinions from LEOs on this just as on the original topic of this thread. Although I would wager the vast majority will say they are not a good idea for variety or reasons.

I don't not think the simple act of having or wearing a HCP badge means you are trying to impersonate a LEO. I think it takes some other overt action. However, there is no doubt that 99.9% of the public that sees the badge is going to think you are LEO.

My main argument against them is, they promote the idea that only LEOs or those with a badge should carry in public.

I would advise to not tell them unless asked. In TN your not required to inform the officer unless they ask you if you are carrying a firearm. I always as ask during a traffic stop anyways. If you are carrying, keep your hands in a visible place. if you must go near your firearm to get your ID or other paperwork, Inform the officer at that time. The biggest thing is that you don't want surprises on either parties behalf. Some officers react differently. Newer officers maybe more wary than older officers. Just remember, if your cool, calm, and collected, the officer will be the same, hopefully.

2 things...

#1 by not telling the officer you have a HCP and that you are carrying is a good way to either get shot/dead or be detained for longer than a simple speeding ticket. i would advise to do the exact opposite of what you said...

#2 you pretty much contradicted yourself by saying "you don't want suprises on either parties behalf", well if you dont tell him and he finds out before you asks you, dont you think thats gonna be a surprise? maybe if the cop rips you out of the car by your hair and throws you on the ground and cuffs you that will be a surprise?

think about it.........

Here's the deal. Just about every Instructor, Sheriff's Deputy, Police Officer (Full-time and Reserve) that I know hate them. They are not official ID, they are not issued to you, and they could very well get you charged with impersonating an officer.

I'd leave it at the house, or better yet, throw it away. Think of it this way, you get involved in a shooting, during the investigation an Officer discovers that badge. As I said, most cops hate them, even the ones that like permit holders in general hate those badges. So now this investigating officer might look at you different, you're a civilian with a cop complex. You wanted a badge to feel powerful and now you shot this guy....

I think you can see my point. Those badges serve no purpose other than to give the illusion you are something you are not to those that would see your gun.

I'm sorry if it offends and I've tried to answer your question politely so please don't take offense because I've said this before and it's a general statement...If you want to carry a badge go get a job where you earn it and it's issued to you.

Somedays I wear mine on my chest too, most days you will never ever know I the PO-PO. Especially when I'm off duty.

Now for those badges of misrepresentation. I personally get a real good laugh out of em, and really enjoy when somebodies got one in plain view. The problem is, if somebody sees it (even accidently) and thinks you may be police and decides to shoot you first when robbing the local stop and rob/ bank/grocery store/were ever you may be. I always felt that the persons who wore them wanted to be thought of as the Po-Po, and seek recognition by others anyways. These are also the same persons who carry openly on a regular basis, cause its their right and nobody can stop them.

Personally if I come up on a scene and your standing there holding a gun, I probably wont see your little badge, just our gun. I will give you all kinds of commands real quick like and if you dont follow, I may put 2 in your chest to get your attention. My fear when working UC is that when officers who don't know me pull up on a scene and see me holding a gun and I know they defintely won't see my little badge, just my BIG ol gun. So, in reality, I think they are for attention seekers who want people to think they are off-dutyUC/ Po-Po and thats why they are carrying the gun, not just the averge citizen who is exercising their rights and taking responsibilties that others won't.

Edited by JLowe
2 things...

#1 by not telling the officer you have a HCP and that you are carrying is a good way to either get shot/dead or be detained for longer than a simple speeding ticket. i would advise to do the exact opposite of what you said...

#2 you pretty much contradicted yourself by saying "you don't want suprises on either parties behalf", well if you dont tell him and he finds out before you asks you, dont you think thats gonna be a surprise? maybe if the cop rips you out of the car by your hair and throws you on the ground and cuffs you that will be a surprise?

think about it.........

Exactly why would you get shot? by going hey officer want to see my gun? Are you going to have it in your hand when the officer walks up to the windowa nd go Hey I've got a permit for this gun? Considering your not officer who has dealt with legally armed persons on a regular basis and illegally armed persons as well, your advise doesn't count. I know that I would prefer the weapon issue would not come up unless I ask if there is one in the car. By telling the officer that you have a gun, you immediately put them on a higher alert level and increase the tension. Trust me officers don't need anymore tension in their lives. Why would the officer pull you out of the car and throw you on the ground and cuff you? For not telling him your legally armed? Thats not illegal and if the officer does so, they are in the wrong. Stop living in what if land, most all officers you meet ouththere would never do any such thing. To get dragged out of your window means you have greater problems than carrying a gun with a permit, trust me.

Exactly why would you get shot? by going hey officer want to see my gun? Are you going to have it in your hand when the officer walks up to the windowa nd go Hey I've got a permit for this gun? Considering your not officer who has dealt with legally armed persons on a regular basis and illegally armed persons as well, your advise doesn't count. I know that I would prefer the weapon issue would not come up unless I ask if there is one in the car. By telling the officer that you have a gun, you immediately put them on a higher alert level and increase the tension. Trust me officers don't need anymore tension in their lives. Why would the officer pull you out of the car and throw you on the ground and cuff you? For not telling him your legally armed? Thats not illegal and if the officer does so, they are in the wrong. Stop living in what if land, most all officers you meet ouththere would never do any such thing. To get dragged out of your window means you have greater problems than carrying a gun with a permit, trust me.

Lol ok.

Guest bkelm18

:( You're right, a LEO will be able to speak for all LEOs regarding the badges. My apologies for posting an opinion on a public forum filled with opinions. But seeing as how a couple LEOs have answered you and have shared similar opinions, I'll just let it go. Good day sir.

This thread started with one "Hot Topic" and now has a second one in it as well. So of course people have strong opinions and may even get a little emotional or defensive if they feel they are being attacked.

So let's just make sure we don't attack anyone personally. If you have a different opinion than someone great, post it and your reasoning behind it. Then we can debate the issues, but not the person. Granted someone's experience or lack of can be a factor in their opinion. Some may give more or less weight to the opinion because of that, but it doesn't mean someone's opinion doesn't count.

Guest TnDeerHunter

I was told to always advise. When officer is approaching vehicle have window down and both hands visible outside window, if dark turn on interior light remember he or she is only doing their job and they will react to you according to how you react to them.

If you are not an ass and you have valid license, registration, and proof of insurance, then more then likely you will have a good experience. With me, your HCP does not really make a difference. With myself and most of the guys I work with, if you are HONEST and PLEASANT you will be on your way with a warning. We don't enjoy writing safe driving awards unless you really deserve one.

Guest eyebedam
I was told to always advise. When officer is approaching vehicle have window down and both hands visible outside window, if dark turn on interior light remember he or she is only doing their job and they will react to you according to how you react to them.

Honestly that is what I normally do. Well said. No need to act like a arse when you get pulled over just go with it & what happens well... Happens.

And that is why they've been gathering dust on the stereo in my den since I got them.

That's the answer I figured I get and from the source(s) I fielded the question to.

Thanks to you and all the other LEOs who posted.:(