Wife's new to her Smith & Wesson 3914

TGO David

• Administrator

Thanks to Joe @ Hero Gear, we were able to scoop up a used in excellent condition Smith & Wesson #3914 handgun for my wife today and got a good deal on another M&P 40 for me.

About 15 years ago I had a S&W #3913 and have regretted getting rid of it almost every day since I parted with it back then. These are slim single-stack DA/SA firearms with safety and de-cocker. Just awesome little guns, perfect for concealed carry.

Updated photos of the handgun follow. Blackberry Curve is included as a size reference to show how compact this thing really is.

SW3914_1.jpg

SW3914_3.jpg

SW3914_4.jpg

SW3914_6.jpg

SW3914_7.jpg

SW3914_8.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

By way of an update...

We took the 3914 to On Target this afternoon and my wife put about 100 rounds through it. She did great with it and experienced no stoppages or failures of any kind. We both noticed that with Winchester white box ammo, it prints about 2-inches low from point of aim at 15 yds. It's definitely not the shooter but may be just the way this particular gun digests WWB ammo. I suspect that a shorter front sight or taller rear would fix the problem.

That being said, I am going to withhold any sort of oddball FS/RS combination and just order a set of Meprolight sights for it instead. We'll see how the POA / POI intersect after that. I have also ordered a second factory 8rd magazine for it and will be ordering a holster of some sort this week so that she can use it as her carry piece when she wants something other than the J-frame.

All in all, I think we're both very pleased with the way it performed.

Actually, it is. You sold the AR you just built yet? Shouldn't you be trying to do that instead of jacking up my thread? :D

My wife is looking over my shoulder right now. The first thing out of her mouth was "He better not scratch the kitchen table playing with guns...Doghouse for him"

My table is decked out all fancy like that...wife gets mad when she finds grains of 2400 on it from time to time.

Congrats on being reunited with that old gun. The 3rd gen Smiths, IMHO, were among the most underrated guns made.

I have had a love affair with the whole 3913 family for years. I can remember 20 years ago when smith put a 3913 and 3914 on the back cover of guns and ammo and other mags....I was HOOKED.....I still have yet to fulfill that fanasy...congrats dave

• Administrator

Update...

Ordered a Blade-Tech OWB holster (one of the few I've been able to find that didn't involve a 14-18 week manufacturing delay) for this today. We'll order a quality leather holster for it soon from either Bulman Gunleather or K&D Holsters but we can't expect to see one from either of those places until next Spring.

I also found both Trijicon and Meprolight replacement sights for it. I'm thinking we will go with the Meprolight sights since they usually are brighter and offer a better sight picture.