Blackhawk holsters?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been looking for a holster for my new XD9 SC. One of the gun shops I go to recommended a Blackhawk Serpa (can't remember the model). It can be rigged either as a belt holster or a paddle holster.

Any opinions on the Blackhawk?

I'm quite happy with mine.

I've got them for the XD45, 1911, and S&W J-Frame.

They provide confident retention, and release the guns quickly and easily.

Some people (probably most people) have a hard time using these for concealed carry, but if you have shoulders a good bit broader than your waist, you'll be able to conceal under an untucked shirt without a problem.

I have broken one paddle. Basically, I fell and tumbled down a hill, landing hard on my gun. The gun was fine. The holster itself was fine. But paddle was broken at the point where the holster screwed into it. Luckily, a belt-loop attachment comes with each holster, so I was able to use that to replace the broken paddle. A little less convenient, but certainly more secure. I have yet to check with Blackhawk to see if I can order a replacement paddle.

The Serpa gets a bad rap on some of the gun forums, primarily when GLOCK shooters carry in a Serpa, there's outbreaks of "GLOCK leg" :cool:

Keep your finger off the bang switch and it helps immensely.

I have 2 Serpas and have yet to shoot myself while presenting or holstering. I like mine.

If you're a high speed "Operator" you should probably look for something else, but for 85% of Legally Armed Civilians, these will be fine.:shhh:

XD9 SC is a great gun, too BTW

I have one for my 229 as well as my Glock 27. No danger of "Glock Leg"..as far as I am concerned. Trigger housing is covered, positioning of cant can be adjusted...holster stays secure...Under $45...all good combos...I have even set up my G27 for cross draw while driving...easier access without having to worry about the seat belt!

The Serpa gets a bad rap on some of the gun forums, primarily when GLOCK shooters carry in a Serpa, there's outbreaks of "GLOCK leg" :cool:

Yeah, according to warriortalk, Suarez won't allow Sherpa use in their classes. Claim that the retention release is conducive to that same finger flipping right onto the trigger when drawing at speed, as I understand it.

That wouldn't be necessarily confined to Glocks, though.

- OS

Guest flyfishtn

Love my CQC for my XD .45 Service. Great retention, helps teach keeping trigger finger high during draw and adjustable cant is nice.

I only carry mine for range or work in the yard due to the lack of concealability vs. a IWB or Slide holster.

I love mine... but they are a bit bulky for concealed carry.

That's my issue. Otherwise they are a great holster. I'm gonna disagree with Suarez's comments, because there is a difference between the finger "touch" that is required to release the Serpa lock and a finger "flip" that is used in putting your finger on the trigger.

That's my issue. Otherwise they are a great holster. I'm gonna disagree with Suarez's comments, because there is a difference between the finger "touch" that is required to release the Serpa lock and a finger "flip" that is used in putting your finger on the trigger.

Well, he claims, best I remember, 5 ADs during classes, with 3 actually shooting themselves with Serpa.

- OS

I was visiting his website and read this- I personally have no experience, no opinion on the Serpa

From Suarez's website---

We do not allow the BlackHawk CQC SERPA Holster - Active Retention design because it requires the trigger finger to be doing something other than indexing along the frame of the pistol during the draw stroke.

Simply put...the Serpa is a poorly designed but brilliantly marketed holster that causes a user to press in with the finger tip as they draw their pistol. In many cases it ends up with the trigger finger right on the trigger (and pressing inward) prematurely. In other words...long before it would be safe to do so. I am aware of five situations at other schools where this has caused an AD on the range. Twice where it led so a self-inflicted gunshot. And these guys were either highly experienced shooters of seasoned operators. Twice I have personally seen it in force on force. If I allow a holster like that in class, having seen the problems and knowing the problems, and a student shoots themselves...it really would be my fault. As I understand it several other schools disallow these holsters.

Edited by ZenDog
pushed the wrong button...
I was visiting his website and read this- I personally have no experience, no opinion on the Serpa

From Suarez's website---

We do not allow the BlackHawk CQC SERPA Holster - Active Retention design because it requires the trigger finger to be doing something other than indexing along the frame of the pistol during the draw stroke.

Simply put...the Serpa is a poorly designed but brilliantly marketed holster that causes a user to press in with the finger tip as they draw their pistol. In many cases it ends up with the trigger finger right on the trigger (and pressing inward) prematurely. In other words...long before it would be safe to do so. I am aware of five situations at other schools where this has caused an AD on the range. Twice where it led so a self-inflicted gunshot. And these guys were either highly experienced shooters of seasoned operators. Twice I have personally seen it in force on force. If I allow a holster like that in class, having seen the problems and knowing the problems, and a student shoots themselves...it really would be my fault. As I understand it several other schools disallow these holsters.

I guess it just really depends on the shooter and the firearm. I use mine with a 1911, as do most of the guys I work with, and we've never had any problems. I also question the "sand in the mechanism" thing since I have heard they perform well in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Guest gcrookston

I've used their Serpa holster for my 226 and 220 without issues for about a year now. Usually I carry a snubby in the summer in a pocket, but in the winter with a coat, this works just fine.

Guest Law of Thirds

The way I understood it, the issue isn't sand (it works great in sand) but small rocks about the size of a pea. They'll slip behind the lever and turn your gun into the neatest belt mounted club until you take apart the serpa to get the rock out. Out of curiosity, I have tried exactly that with a serpa (sans gun) and it took a good 10 minutes and towel clamps to finally get the rock out and the serpa operational again.

Not an issue if you're CC though.

• 4 months later...
Guest smithandwesson
The Serpa gets a bad rap on some of the gun forums, primarily when GLOCK shooters carry in a Serpa, there's outbreaks of "GLOCK leg" :D

I have 2 Serpas and have yet to shoot myself while presenting or holstering. I like mine.

If you're a high speed "Operator" you should probably look for something else, but for 85% of Legally Armed Civilians, these will be fine.:D

XD9 SC is a great gun, too BTW

Its easier to blame the holster than to admit the mistake in gun choice and handling.:tough: Blaming the holster is just plain old:bs: