How do I pack a backpack?

I'm starting to hike on my recovery days between running workouts. I think hiking with a backpack would be good cross training and give my dog a chance to spend more time outside. 

Anyway, I was talking with an experienced hiker and he said I should should carry most of the weight high up on my shoulders. Right now, I have a backpack with chest and waist strap weighing 14 pounds, but the weight is mostly just above the small of my back. If I need to carry the weight higher, I'll have to figure out some way to raise the weight up in the backpack. Right now, the weight is all kitty litter in a trash bag, but I do have some 10lb and 25lb barbell plates.

I'd like to increase the weight to 30 pounds, but it's not comfortable for long hikes yet.

I have two backpacks. One is the LA Policegear 3 day backpack. The other is some off brand hiking backpack without a solid frame.

Should I continue to carry with the weight at the bottom or should I move the weight up higher on my back?

Edited by jgradyc

the key to a heavy pack on a long haul is the belt.  If the belt on the pack is good, it will put the weight onto your hips.  With a hard frame and a good belt, evenly distributed weight is a good approach.   Non solid frame packs are tough to carry a heavy load; here again a belt is critical and you probably want the weight down low on this type.   But I wouldn't try to carry a heavy pack that is putting the weight on your shoulders or hurting your back -- if its doing that no matter what you try, odds are the pack is not suitable for the job.

• Like 3
I would put a sleeping bag or blanket in the bottom of the pack. You want the weight close to you and about mid way up your back. As already mentioned the belt makes all the difference. One other method you might look at is getting a 2 gallon camel pack. That would be about 16lbs full and easily adjustable. It would also put the weight right were it needs to be.
  • Like 2

I would put a sleeping bag or blanket in the bottom of the pack. You want the weight close to you and about mid way up your back. As already mentioned the belt makes all the difference. One other method you might look at is getting a 2 gallon camel pack. That would be about 16lbs full and easily adjustable. It would also put the weight right were it needs to be.

^This

With an external frame pack, you want to the weight high.  With an internal frame, you want it more toward the middle of your back and close to your body.  

I have found that a camelback, I drink a lot more water and stay better hydrated. 

Check with a good local sporting goods store, and they can help fit you for a pack, and some will even let you load it with your anticipated weight and test it out.  

You need the most weight to be as close to your body as possible...middle of the back to a bit higher. Even higher if you had an external frame.

If you google "how to pack a backpack," the first thing that comes up is a picture of ideal weight distribution off internal vs external frame packs.

Echoing the camelback idea, for training purposes, use water bladders (camelback, platypus, msr dromedary bag, etc.) That way you can adjust the weight for your downhill side of the hike. Your knees will thank you on the way down.

I stopped by REI and tried on the Osprey Stratos 24 for $119 and the Gregory something about same size for $139. Neither is on the REI website, which seems odd. The Gregory has an expandable open stuff pouch in the back for sweaty gear, which is a plus because I could use it for my workouts.  

Both had internal frames. Both fit me well. Both had top straps to adjust the pack closer to the top of my shoulders, which is something my LAPoliceGear backpack lacks. The sales staff convinced me that I didn't need a bigger pack for day hikes, but she cautioned that the pack would feel different with weight in it. Apparently, REI has a very generous return policy. I have to learn more about that.

I also looked into hiking poles. Holy cow... these things cost as much as the backpack! I made my own out of an adjustable mop handle for... well... free. The weigh a bit more, but when you're hiking for work out, extra weight is not a liability.

Heavy low and close to the body. Good shoulder straps and waist strap/belt is essential also.

Also depends on frame type or no frame.

Practice around the house and short trips and modify to see what works for you.

This is good advice.  Theres a 10-15 min window (longer for very fit, younger folks) where you put something like this on and it feels good even if its totally wrong.   After that if its wrong you will start to feel it, slowly, and it gets worse but by the time its really hurting you its too late (on a hike) ...

At 14 pounds, pack it however you want. For me, till you get upwards of 20 pounds, it doesn't matter a lot. Also, if your just day hiking, with a light pack, it's probably not a big deal.

I have a 32 liter Osprey Exos and a 33 Liter Osprey Talon, both great weekend sized packs. I have an REI Flash 18 and Flash 45. The 18 is a super light day pack with a capacity about 10-12 pounds. The 45 is made just like an Osprey and is my usual winter pack. If you like the Osprey, go for it. It's a quality pack.

"So he cocked both his pistols, spit in the dirt, and walked out in to the street."

As much as where you pack the items inside, is how you wear it.  20lbs worn wrong can feel like 30, or 20lbs worn right can feel like 10.  This becomes more important as you up the weight, but even at lower levels, the comfort benefits might make the hiking more enjoyable.

Try to get the pack as high on the back as you can, and cinch down tight as your biceps allow.  Then let out a little slack until it feels comfortable, but is still high up.  If you have to bend over, or get someone to hold it in place while you pull the straps, that's fine. 

I'd also recommend going gradual with the weight increases.  No more than 5lb at a time, and unless you want to push yourself, only make the jump after you feel little to no challenge with the current weight.

Edited by btq96r