M&P Shield in .45 ACP

I am going to revive this thread :) How is the M&P Shield 45 functioning for you owners out there ? I'll always keep my Glock 30 for sure , but I am about to make an impulse buy and pick one of these Shield's in 45ACP up . Just wanting to hear some updated feedback , negative or positive is appreciated .

18 minutes ago, cjohnson44546 said:

Mines still going great... If your more fond of the glock builds, and grip angle on the G36 might be more your liking... the shield is more just like a full size M&P made smaller, but with a better trigger and grip texture.

No way on the 36 . I have seen too many bad experiences with it to try and chance  $500 on the 36 and I am saying that even though I am a hue Glock fan . The only 2  things I hate about the M&P line is the fact that the safety plunger and all is held in by the rear sight and that they use roll-pins instead of solid pins. But I am willing to accept that in this 45acp Shield .

Edited by tercel89
1 minute ago, tercel89 said:

No way on the 36 . I have seen too many bad experiences with it to try and chance  $500 on the 36 and I am saying that even though I am a hue Glock fan . The one thing I like about Glocks and not the M&P line is the fact that the safety plunger and all is held in by the rear sight. But I am willing to accept that in this 45acp Shield.

My 36 is great.

1 minute ago, mikegideon said:

My 36 is great.

And I am sure it is but to me it's a big gamble and/or hit and miss. I once took a chance on a new pistol that was $500 . It was new and there were a few people having problems but not all. Just like the G36. Well wouldn't you know it , mine was screwed up bigtime. BRAND NEW out of the box. CZ P-07. CZ sent me a new one but I was so paranoid afterwards that I traded it.

16 minutes ago, tercel89 said:

And I am sure it is but to me it's a big gamble and/or hit and miss. I once took a chance on a new pistol that was $500 . It was new and there were a few people having problems but not all. Just like the G36. Well wouldn't you know it , mine was screwed up bigtime. BRAND NEW out of the box. CZ P-07. CZ sent me a new one but I was so paranoid afterwards that I traded it.

A Glock 36 has been around for a good while. I have a 30s too, that sprung from the 36 too (36 slide on a 30SF frame). No new gun problem there.

Edited by mikegideon
40 minutes ago, Steelharp said:

Care to elaborate? My36 works like a champ. Darn near a bullseye gun.

No harm meant toward you and other owners. I have read about a load of failures. After my CZ P-07 crap , I just rather skip the 36. It seems to have always been Glocks "red-headed step-child" in my opinion and quite a few others . I would GLADLY love to hear from the newer Glock 36 owners. The newer ones that are around 2 years or newer and the ones that have the frame light-rail. I'd rather get a Glock anyday over the Shield but as of right now , it is pointing towards the Shield 45 .

Edited by tercel89
8 minutes ago, Steelharp said:

Ok, I'm gonna start searching. My curiousity is piqued.

I had a Glock 36 for years ... When I picked up a 30S .. I moved the 36 ...

only feeding issue I had with the 36 was with hard cast semi wad cutters ... Wouldn't fed worth heck ...

That one reason I picked up the Taurus PT145 Pro ( great pistol ) 

40 minutes ago, TN357mag said:

I had a Glock 36 for years ... When I picked up a 30S .. I moved the 36 ...

only feeding issue I had with the 36 was with hard cast semi wad cutters ... Wouldn't fed worth heck ...

Aren't those really designed for revolvers?

7 hours ago, tercel89 said:

I am hoping that musicman will join in here again and let us know if he ever got one . He is a big M&P fan and owner. Hopefully he can tell us more .

I haven't gotten one yet. :/  I got distracted (M9A1) and am just gunna wait for the inevitable Performance Center version to arrive.  The PC Shield 9 is so much more awesome than the already really good Shield.  I know I'd just replace the regular one as soon as the PC model arrives.  I'm in no hurry for one.  Will probably get my first 1911 before I get a 45 Shield... I'm on a streak of steel gun buyin'.

• Like 1

I've got one. It shoots great. It soaks up the recoil way better than I expected.  I think it is leaps and bounds better than an XDs in my opinion. The aggressive pattern is just enough without being harsh.  Everyone that has shot it has been amazed.  I'm not the biggest S&W semi auto fan, but the Shield line is extremely nice.  

• Like 2
10 hours ago, zybysco said:

I've got one. It shoots great. It soaks up the recoil way better than I expected.  I think it is leaps and bounds better than an XDs in my opinion. The aggressive pattern is just enough without being harsh.  Everyone that has shot it has been amazed.  I'm not the biggest S&W semi auto fan, but the Shield line is extremely nice.  

I usually wear my Glocks and other carry guns in a IWB holster. Do you think the new texture on the 45 Shield will rub my skin raw ?

When I had a G36 I never felt I could run it efficiently, fast and accurate with one hand weak hand as fast as I could pull the trigger.  I wonder if a similarly sized (sort of) Shield 45 would be easier to run weak hand one hand?  Service guns, range toys, competition guns are another story, but for CCW I think you need to be able to use it fast and accurate one hand either hand, off your back, on your knees, belly, etc. I think the old adage is: 3 seconds, 3 shots, 3 feet and it is dark applies for us citizens.  I can run a 1911 like that but I am not carrying a 40oz CCW.  The muzzle flip of the 36 shooting weak hand one hand was a bit much for me to bring on line for fast follow ups not even counting collateral damage possibilities.  

Edited by graycrait
2 hours ago, graycrait said:

When I had a G36 I never felt I could run it efficiently, fast and accurate with one hand weak hand as fast as I could pull the trigger.  I wonder if a similarly sized (sort of) Shield 45 would be easier to run weak hand one hand?  Service guns, range toys, competition guns are another story, but for CCW I think you need to be able to use it fast and accurate one hand either hand, off your back, on your knees, belly, etc. I think the old adage is: 3 seconds, 3 shots, 3 feet and it is dark applies for us citizens.  I can run a 1911 like that but I am not carrying a 40oz CCW.  The muzzle flip of the 36 shooting weak hand one hand was a bit much for me to bring on line for fast follow ups not even counting collateral damage possibilities.  

The 36 has lots more recoil than a 9mm Glock. It's a light gun. It's one of the reasons I don't carry 45 as much as I did. You carry a heavier gun, or put up with heavier recoil.

On 1/4/2017 at 9:39 AM, tercel89 said:

I usually wear my Glocks and other carry guns in a IWB holster. Do you think the new texture on the 45 Shield will rub my skin raw ?

I can answer that soon. I ordered an IWB holster for it.  Should be here soon.