Building a woods AR - caliber selection?

8 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

This software really pisses me off sometimes. I'm gonna go away for awhile to avoid warning points

Haha. I was posting from my phone earlier. I switched to my ipad because I was clicking things I didn't want to.

Edited by Wingshooter
22 minutes ago, Mindless-Focus said:

Lol, I got a warning too a couple posts back. Good talks tho. Great points made all around. Not sure it's helping the OP lol. 

Yes, it's definately helping. Good info! Exactly what I was looking for.

So how are you getting warning points??? From this thread?

Edited by Wingshooter

My vote is 6.5. I have some new e-lander mags direct from Alexander arms and they run flawless. At $20 they are little more expensive but how many 25 round mags does your woods gun need?  

Also, I've shot steel at 100 with a 6.5, 300 blk, 556, 7.62x39 and a 458.  Clearly the 458 is on another level on the steel, but the 6.5 hits much harder than the others and I'm using a 16 inch barrel too. 7.62x39 comes in third for what's it worth. 

1 hour ago, Mindless-Focus said:

Mine was a custom build. Had to have the upper modified with larger port and had to modify the lip at the ramp to feed reliability. Used a Tromix barrel. 

I just checked out Tromix's site. They have the upper with the port already enlarged now. This is tempting. I think it'll either be 6.5 or 458... mainly 'caus I don't have either one :)

Of course the obvious answer is both.

3 minutes ago, Rebels010 said:

My vote is 6.5. I have some new e-lander mags direct from Alexander arms and they run flawless. At $20 they are little more expensive but how many 25 round mags does your woods gun need?  

Also, I've shot steel at 100 with a 6.5, 300 blk, 556, 7.62x39 and a 458.  Clearly the 458 is on another level on the steel, but the 6.5 hits much harder than the others and I'm using a 16 inch barrel too. 7.62x39 comes in third for what's it worth. 

Sounds good. I think I'll go ahead and order a 16" 6.5. I know I want one, so might as well make it so. Good to know about the e-landers. 

56 minutes ago, Wingshooter said:

I just checked out Tromix's site. They have the upper with the port already enlarged now. This is tempting. I think it'll either be 6.5 or 458... mainly 'caus I don't have either one :)

Of course the obvious answer is both.

Don't be a pussy. Get one of each. :)

A little spendy, but builds a great 458 upper too. Tony @ Tromix built the first one.

http://www.pkfirearms.com/node/12520

Edited by mikegideon
1 hour ago, mikegideon said:

Don't be a pussy. Get one of each. :)

A little spendy, but builds a great 458 upper too. Tony @ Tromix built the first one.

http://www.pkfirearms.com/node/12520

Haha. Naw, I'm just whipped, lol. I'd probably would get one of each, but the wife would go for my jugular lol. :hiding:. I just need to give her some time to let the news of the supressor I just bought wear off. One at a time for now so I don't have to sleep outside :) Both eventually for sure!

I like that 458 upper. That would be a nice looking big thumper.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Wingshooter said:

I'm leaning grendel, but it would be nice to have that big thumper up close. How reliable are the 458 mags?

As reliable as your 5.56, they run the same mag.  That's the way Marty designed it, to use standard USGI mags.

You can modify Magpuls as well by removing the center divider thing.

Why not go wildcat?  I am in the middle of building a .277 Wolverine, it is a 5.56 case cut and necked up slightly to a .277 (think .270 win) bullet.  Looks like its doing quite well as a longish distance round with 90 grain bullets.  And all you need is a barrel, currently I am going with 18" stainless but waiting on a 10.5" in stainless (for a second one) since it has performed well there too with heavier bullets suppressed.  There are other wildcats too, right now they are working on a 6.8 SPC like build, but with modified upper/lower to accept longer OAL.

Use a 6.8 for the exact same thing you are doing. Tried the 300 blackout but it didn't kill the hogs as quick if they are over 175 yards . I could hear it hit them and they'd run off never to be seen again. 

Getting 6.8 ammo for $19-$21 for hunting rounds and the mags work great. Never tried the 6.5

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Omega said:

Why not go wildcat?  I am in the middle of building a .277 Wolverine, it is a 5.56 case cut and necked up slightly to a .277 (think .270 win) bullet.  Looks like its doing quite well as a longish distance round with 90 grain bullets.  And all you need is a barrel, currently I am going with 18" stainless but waiting on a 10.5" in stainless (for a second one) since it has performed well there too with heavier bullets suppressed.  There are other wildcats too, right now they are working on a 6.8 SPC like build, but with modified upper/lower to accept longer OAL.

The larger lower is the LWRC SIX8. Takes proprietary Magpul 6.8 PMAGs.

1 hour ago, nightrunner said:

The larger lower is the LWRC SIX8. Takes proprietary Magpul 6.8 PMAGs.

Yes, and a guy at the wildcat site is working on standardizing it along with getting some steel mags as well.

Added a link to the post for those interested: http://mdws.forumchitchat.com/post/show_single_post?pid=1292513541&postcount=1&forum=530730

ATM I am only interested in ones that are based off the 5.56 case and barrel only swap needed.  Maybe later I may dip my toe into a .308 or 6.8 AR build, but not now.

Edited by Omega
Added Link
  • Like 1
16 minutes ago, Omega said:

Yes, and a guy at the wildcat site is working on standardizing it along with getting some steel mags as well.

Added a link to the post for those interested: http://mdws.forumchitchat.com/post/show_single_post?pid=1292513541&postcount=1&forum=530730

ATM I am only interested in ones that are based off the 5.56 case and barrel only swap needed.  Maybe later I may dip my toe into a .308 or 6.8 AR build, but not now.

Now that is interesting. I have always followed the 6.8 from before it was available commercially but never got one. When the SIX8 came out I decided I would get that due to the longer OAL and usage of PMAGs.It would be nice if it were somewhat standardized with other options available. Supposedly LWRC is going to bring out a DI version of the rifle in the future, but who knows when.

6 hours ago, Rightwinger said:

As reliable as your 5.56, they run the same mag.  That's the way Marty designed it, to use standard USGI mags.

You can modify Magpuls as well by removing the center divider thing.

That's good to know.  I've been doing some reading about the ballistics. Looks like it''s close to 45-70. Impressive round.

5 hours ago, Omega said:

Never seen the .277 Wolverine. That's interesting...

11 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I would choose the obvious round for an AR… 308 Winchester. (Or 7.62 NATO if you are the tactical type).

I had serious thoughts about that. I already have parts and receiver sets available though.  Plus I'm after something a little smaller, lighter and cheaper on this one. Now if I could just squeeze a 308 into an AR 15 :)

2 hours ago, Wingshooter said:

I had serious thoughts about that. I already have parts and receiver sets available though.  Plus I'm after something a little smaller, lighter and cheaper on this one. Now if I could just squeeze a 308 into an AR 15 :)

That would be a 300Blk, albeit a bit shorter range.

26 minutes ago, Mindless-Focus said:

I tried going the wildcat route and got pretty burned. From now on, I'm sticking with the established rounds. And yes, I know the 458 is still a wildcat, but it's pretty established. Heck, CMMG is about to release the Anvil that's built around this round. 

How so?  Did you try to develop a Wildcat yourself or did you just try one that was in early development? 

3 minutes ago, Omega said:

That would be a 300Blk, albeit a bit shorter range.

How so?  Did you try to develop a Wildcat yourself or did you just try one that was in early development? 

I tried one from a thief that took a bunch of people's money then folded up and disappeared. Had to get my CC involved to get my $600 back. 

9 minutes ago, Mindless-Focus said:

I tried one from a thief that took a bunch of people's money then folded up and disappeared. Had to get my CC involved to get my $600 back. 

Ah, yea that would suck.  If you are tempted again, take a look at the site I linked to, bunch of good guys doing some good work and no issues like you posted.  There is a gamut of calibers being tried, but yea it can get pricey since most everything needs to be custom.  On my .277 WLV it's not too bad, just the barrel, reloading dies and case gauge since I went the AR route.

1 minute ago, Omega said:

Ah, yea that would suck.  If you are tempted again, take a look at the site I linked to, bunch of good guys doing some good work and no issues like you posted.  There is a gamut of calibers being tried, but yea it can get pricey since most everything needs to be custom.  On my .277 WLV it's not too bad, just the barrel, reloading dies and case gauge since I went the AR route.

It was promising for a while. Just needed a barrel and bolt. I also bought dies for reloading. Bought everything I needed. Then he disappeared. He deleted his social media accounts and was gone. Got a lot of money tho, I'd imagine.