Help with S&W Revolver ID

Lumber_Jack

So my dad was gifted an older S&W .38 special revolver from his brother-in-law after my dads sister passed away. It has 5702 1 J under the cylinder arm and 5702 on the arm again. I will post pics later and look under the grips for a full serial number. It has a 4" barrel I believe. It shoots great!

Just curious of manufacture date and model.

Definitely need pics and serial #, at least the first few digits.  Those numbers on the yoke and frame there don't mean anything except the yoke is original to the gun.  Serial number is on the butt.

Sounds like it's older than '57 or '58, the year S&W started using model numbers (and stamped that number on the frame were you see the 5702).  5702 is not a .38 special model number.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2

.38 Military & Police.  Serial number puts it at between 1948-1951.  The range for those years was C1-C223998 so you can kinda guesstimate an exact year.

That sorta looks like a 5" barrel.

A fine looking revolver!

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 3
On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 2:29 PM, Garufa said:

.38 Military & Police.  Serial number puts it at between 1948-1951.  The range for those years was C1-C223998 so you can kinda guesstimate an exact year.

That sorta looks like a 5" barrel.

A fine looking revolver!

Yep, that's what I is, I passed up an opportunity to purchase a factory original nickeled version of he same time frame in 1992 that I sill regret not buying. But on the plus side I've got two 4" blued M&P's circa 1920's and 1930's so it ain't all bad. Nice looking M&P BTW.

28 minutes ago, Pete123 said:

What was it that Andy did with ammo for Barney?  Was it that he could only have one round and he couldn't keep it in his gun, but had to keep it in his pocket?

10-4

Edited by Raoul
  • Like 1