MP5 Build Kit Group Buy and Build Party.

TedS and I were discussing building some MP5 pistols from the HK Parts build kit and thought this might be an unique  opportunity for those interested. I spoke on the phone the other with the owner of HK Parts and it is possible to get a discount/s from the list price. However it requires a certain number purchased. I would say if you've ever had an interest in doing one of these that you're probably not going to see this price again.

Now for the details. This is still very much up in the air, nothing has been confirmed and this thread is to just judge possible interest.  It needs to be said that this would not be a cheap or easy build, it's not an ar and does require some mechanical aptitude. It's also not inexpensive as I said. HK parts are expensive and I'm actively trying to see how low I can get it but it is what it is.  We should have all the required tooling but if you have basic hand tools and something like a Dremel and consumables bring it, you'll more than likely need it.

That's it for this announcement but if you want more info send me a pm or comment below. 

• Like 1

Also, FWIW, if we do this we will come up with a timeline by September/October, hopefully doing the build-party by end of year or early 2017.

Keep in mind if/when we do this, we're talking building a pistol in the ball park of $1400.

No SBRs at the proposed build-party. No NFA builds. You can file your NFA stuff and convert these into SBRs at your own convenience afterwards.

GJ and I are not certified gunsmiths. We are not HK armorers. We cannot guarantee that what you build will be functional or safe.

Anytime you build a firearm you assume all risks. GJ and I expect members here to have that kind or responsible mindset.

These are weapons, not toys.

I hope to see this come together. TGO is a great community.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
Furthering my points from earlier. This could pretty well turn into a crash welding, bending, demilling, pressing, and pinning course. So it will at a minimum be educational. 

It does need to be stressed that this won't be an easy or simple build like an AR. The flats have to be bent. If the flat isn't configured correcty you're out at least $130+. And time. If somehow you manage to screw up the barrel drilling and pinning it, you're out of $150-200+. And time.

Not trying to scare people off, but I do want to set some expectations in that direction. GJ and I won't build these for you but we will assist you on your build (assuming this all happens) as much as we can. Keep in mind we haven't built these before.

Interested, pending release of schedule and location of the build party.

Location will be up in the air. Best case scenario is someone who is in on the group buy who lives between Nashville and Cookville volunteers.

Can't afford one but would like to try and be there to see it done.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'm planning on building a couple over the next year so I'll give you a heads up when I build another.

• Like 1

Any ancillary equipment needing to be brought? Such as Dremels with cutters, sanding stones and wheels; files; sandpaper; shake cans or anodizing setups? Figure if everyone interested actually buys a kit and shows up - setting up multiple stations for a true garage-factory assembly line would slightly speed up the 3-4 hours per gun after we get down bending, welding, sanding, filing, demilling, drilling and test fitting all the pieces.

And for tribute for using your tools - cash or beer okay? Feels odd to come into someone else's house I've never met and get down with a HK only to not pitch in my fair share.

Any ancillary equipment needing to be brought? Such as Dremels with cutters, sanding stones and wheels; files; sandpaper; shake cans or anodizing setups? Figure if everyone interested actually buys a kit and shows up - setting up multiple stations for a true garage-factory assembly line would slightly speed up the 3-4 hours per gun after we get down bending, welding, sanding, filing, demilling, drilling and test fitting all the pieces.

And for tribute for using your tools - cash or beer okay? Feels odd to come into someone else's house I've never met and get down with a HK only to not pitch in my fair share.

GJ and I are working on getting tooling together, GJ pulling most of the weight at the moment. Dremels and consumables are definitely good to bring if you have them.

We'll probably not do any painting or anodizing. Too many options out there, it'll be best for people to rattlecan, cerakote, parkerize, or anodize as they wish afterwards.

We've been mostly tossing out ideas, but figured it might be a good thing to chip whoever hosts it some cash for the trouble.

I'd be interested. I've not looked into an MP5, didn't know you could build one from a kit.  Looked at doing an HK based rifle several years ago but the bending jig never really materialized. Kit builds can be a lot of fun. I've actually hosted a couple of AK build parties back in the day. We always had a great time. It generally took us about 8-10 hours to put an AK together from a flat including demil but not final finish. What kind of time are you thinking for these?

I have some of the basic tooling. I sold off all my AK specific tools. Also have a parkerizing set up but have dumped my chemicals.

9 minutes ago, seez52 said:

I'd be interested. I've not looked into an MP5, didn't know you could build one from a kit.  Looked at doing an HK based rifle several years ago but the bending jig never really materialized. Kit builds can be a lot of fun. I've actually hosted a couple of AK build parties back in the day. We always had a great time. It generally took us about 8-10 hours to put an AK together from a flat including demil but not final finish. What kind of time are you thinking for these?

I have some of the basic tooling. I sold off all my AK specific tools. Also have a parkerizing set up but have dumped my chemicals.

It's hard to say with these since it's new to us.  My thought would be that it's probably going to be an all day affair.

I just glanced over at an article about putting them together and I'm guessing your right, an all day affair.

Looks like there are several welds to be made once the flat is bent. Are you expecting each person to weld their own? I'm thinking there was some issue on AK flat bending that required the actual builder or owner of the gun to be the one doing the bending. I'm wondering how welding would be treated in this regard?