Buy from Local dealers?

JeffsSig

Ok I maybe sorry to post this but I will not name names and maybe some will re- think how they sell and their communications Anyways here goes.

My rant is……….

A lot of member’s here say BUY LOCAL and not on the Internet. This I do agree to BUT.

I have Contacted 3 different dealers (On this board) by emails and phone calls that reply very little if any back to me. One was going to call back and never did. I ask for prices and if or will they get a certain gun (in others order me a gun) with no or little info contact back.

I know you guys get a lot of tire kickers. I know it takes time to look up a price and then you get no sale. BUT

Each time I have had cash in hand and ready to buy and I end up buying from the net form online dealers who take my phone calls and reply to me in emails and ship the same or next day.

Sorry for such a negative post but sometimes the truth is the truth.

I am not trying to start ANYTING with any local dealers.

I just wish some would make a bit more effort to communicate better.

I’m done now with my rant.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure why you've had so much trouble, but I can't say I've had the same experience. Well, I did have an issue with a vendor who is no longer a member here. Other than that, I've always head back from them.

Sometimes these guys are really swamped, and just like everyone else, some things just slip their mind. I generally try to give them a few days to get back to me, and if I haven't heard back from them, I'll send them a friendly reminder.

As a rule, I think it's safe to say that some vendors (not just here) would rather not deal with "price shoppers". Many of them have a steady flow of in-store customers to keep them busy and financially stable enough that the few sales they may lose from price shoppers is not a real big deal to them or their bottom line.

If you haven't already, I'd try the friendly reminder route. At least give it a shot before giving up on local dealers. There are many positives to buying locally if at all possible.

I have Contacted 3 different dealers (On this board) by emails and phone calls that reply very little if any back to me. One was going to call back and never did. I ask for prices and if or will they get a certain gun (in others order me a gun) with no or little info contact back.

I don't know when you tried to contact them...but if it was recently...

A. The Holidays are busier

B. The Election results have generated A-LOT of sales for gun stores right now. Every time I've been into my local shop lately they have been slammed with people. Im sure their having a hard time getting exact dates and prices when their distributor is slammed and doesn't know either. Just my guess...maybe the vendors can chime in.

Guest canynracer

I am sure that they are slammed..the ones here are mostly the owners..they may have vactions and such..but it is REALLY hard to open up the shop and start the day slammed with walk-ins then remember "oh yeah, that dude from the gun board..."

I am sure it is not intentional, and I am sure it is nothing against YOU...

try giving them a call...

Edited by canynracer
Guest utarch00

The problem with driving to see them is when you need to drive an hour or more and would like to know if they have something before you make the trip. I know everybody is busy, WE all are. I like to have a verbal conformation before hand, especially with inventory turning over so quickly.

I agree with the friendly reminder, also.

All you guys have posted is good advice.

I just hate when I have 800-1200$ in hand to spend and get no or little communication.

Plus I hate to wait. But oh well. Ill try to slow down and I guess if I have to Ill give some a 2nd chance.

Sorry for the rant. I just felt local wasn’t as good as some say but I see I need to give it more of a chance.

I’m not their only customer.:rolleyes:

Guest abailey362

did you make phone calls or was it just pm's on the board? I know that most of the vendors on here have been busy, and go the extra mile for tgo members. there are some who don't seem to care as much based on posts here, but for the most part we have a good group of vendors.

of the ones i've done business with there is only one who dropped the ball like you were stating in the OP, but he wasn't a vendor here yet at that time.

For me, it's like a double edged sword. When I'm in the store browsing, I really appreciate that the store owners aren't yakking it up with every person that calls in. It makes me feel like since I took the trouble to actually drive down here, I'm more important than the guy on the phone.

However, when I'm ready to buy something, I already know what it is and I have the money ready to go, so I'm just looking for availability and price, so I call around. We have two gun shops nearby to me, one of them's standard phone answer is "no we don't have any, try the gunshow", and the other is, "yeah we have them, but they are aaaalllll the waaaay over there in the other case and I can't get to it".

If they can't take one minute to tell me the price, I'll just move along.

When I have money in hand and know excatly what I want it gets down to who has it "on hand" at the best price (which is mostly on the net).

Now when I am just window shopping, I most of the time buy locally.

Yes, it's true that you can almost always find a firearm cheaper on-line, but that method generally lacks the customer service if needed.

Guest 70below

I'm a firm believer in supporting local business and am willing to pay reasonably more to get what I need locally and support a business that makes me feel like I'm a valued customer. I've looked for such a place in my area for the past 5 years and only found one, and they decided to close their doors. I'm not a huge spender, but I spend quite a bit in a year in my hobby and have been disappointed that the majority of the time, I'm forced to resort to buying online as the vendors I typically use are responsive, helpful, and fair. I keep occasionally forcing myself back to the same places, and have yet to feel like my dollar was valued by them. Not only to line their cashbox but to get me a fair price as well. They'll make back the couple dollars they look out for back in repeated sales.

As far as customer service from the local dealers go, I haven't seen any of the local dealers willing to make situations right or standing by their word either. That is extremely disheartening. A close friend of mine took a pistol to be custom coated and its been twice what they told him it would take to do, and keep stringing him on for weeks. That killed my interest in having several guns coated, and if I take them in, you can sure bet it won't be there.

So to answer your question, give your local dealers a try when you feel up to it, but if they don't make you feel like they need/want your business, go where you need to go.

Edited by 70below
expand
Guest Tom@GunDepot
All you guys have posted is good advice.

I just hate when I have 800-1200$ in hand to spend and get no or little communication.

Plus I hate to wait. But oh well. Ill try to slow down and I guess if I have to Ill give some a 2nd chance.

Sorry for the rant. I just felt local wasn’t as good as some say but I see I need to give it more of a chance.

I’m not their only customer.:poop:

Hey JeffsSig we understand your frustration. I have sent you a Email with the Guns you had requested sorry for the 2 day Delay we have just been swamped. This time of year it is best if you can come in the store so we can face to face talk to you and give you the customer service you deserve for spending your hard earned $$$ with us.

"We take pride trying to give you the best customer service you deserve."

I hope this has helped you in your search for the Gun you want.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Thanks,

Tom & Brian

I've found that it is all relative to what I want. Sometimes I can't get something locally (even with transfer etc.) that would beat an online place and sometime I can't. If i can find it locally I will buy it there. I don't get too worked up about it either way. I also have found that i have been treated great and like crap sometimes at the same store. Just remember you are dealing with human beings and we all have our moments.

Guest nraforlife

For me, there only TWO gun shops in the Knoxville area that I deal with, Coal Creek Armory and Frontier. Both have helpful staff and their prices are very very good.

Hey JeffsSig we understand your frustration. I have sent you a Email with the Guns you had requested sorry for the 2 day Delay we have just been swamped. This time of year it is best if you can come in the store so we can face to face talk to you and give you the customer service you deserve for spending your hard earned $$$ with us.

"We take pride trying to give you the best customer service you deserve."

I hope this has helped you in your search for the Gun you want.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Thanks,

Tom & Brian

You really need to go see these guys. got a 96D "used" from them once. Was right up the road from them on Monday but didn't have time to stop.

Guest tnmale46
You really need to go see these guys. got a 96D "used" from them once. Was right up the road from them on Monday but didn't have time to stop.
agreed tom and brian are great guys only place i go now

I trade with both THE GUN DEPOT and MAHONEYS.

Jeff, I know you have been in THE DEPOT and I wil bet you have not seen Tom,Brian or Mrs. Tom and Brian chatin on the computer.

Shann Mahoney is a good bidness man but,wouldnt spend the money for Larry to work the internet.

I have been in The Gun Depot when there were 3 or 4 tire kickers but, they still have the floor.When its your turn those guys will gladly show you every gun they have.

Givem a chance,it will be to your advantage.

Merry Christmas Jeff.

Guest gcrookston

Hero Gear in Winchester and Guns and Leather in Greenbriar get 5 of 5 stars for customer service in my experience. I travel Tennessee from Jackson to Bristol and KY and have found no other stores that meet or exceed their customer service.

I have 2 stores that really suck. One is a vendor here, I will not name... but I will say when I walk into a store and you have 6 people behind your counters, 3 customers in your store and I want to buy a gun and you all are talking about the election, "inaminute" just cost you a customer. The other store I will not name I brought items to the cash register, was the ONLY customer in the store with 3 people behind the counter and couldn't get anyone to wait on me. I ended up buying nothing from there.

Guess what? I buy guns and I sell guns on a pretty regular basis.

Edited by gcrookston

JeffSig, I dunno if you consider Knoxville in "your area" up there in Rogersville, but can tell you that JWP on board here from Coal Creek Armory has always responded to my PM's promptly, Monday - Friday biz hours anyway. I suspect he may actually have a life evenings and weekends, though. :tough:

- OS