Finally chose my candidate for the '16 race

musicman

12 hours ago, suspiciousmind said:

Hetfield needs to fall off the wagon for him to start writing good songs again. Or they need to hire Dave Mustaine to ghost write a record for them.

Dave is an excellent song writer. If he could've suppressed the asshole a little and hired a decent singer/front man, he might've ruled the world. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Steelharp said:

Yeah, c'mon. Piss us music guys off. C'mon. :mad:

Napster paved the way for iTunes and Spotify. It single handedly destroyed the way musicians make a living. It changed the game for the worse, and it'll never be the same.

If someone had told me 15 years ago that the music industry would be the state it's in now, I probably would've chosen a different career path and kept music as a serious hobby. 

• Like 1

Friedman is a freak of nature, but Mustaine is an absolute monster in his own right. Keep in mind he plays some fairly complex stuff and does it while singing, often in different time signatures for vocals and guitars.

I always preferred Hammet though, people like to rag on him now, but people forget at the time he was doing some real cool stuff and incorporating techniques that lots of people saw as mutually exclusive. I have heard it posited (and I agree) that if you can learn the first three albums you are well set for learning anything from classic rock, classical, country et al. Not that you would be PROFICIENT in them, but it would be pretty easy to build off that skill set in many directions musically. 

Hetfield, dude is a machine, writing and playing. His rhythm is scary good for someone who never learned alternate picking :rofl::D . I kid, any rock band would be thankful to have someone help hold things down the way he can, plus he can write, plus he can sing. Dude is an MVP IMO.

MettalicA was the first band I actually thought spoke to me musically and lyrically, everything else up to then was just bubble gum, not that theres anything wrong with that either, but they opened the door for me and showed me music was much more than just background noise.

Edited by TrickyNicky
  • Like 2

--- most of first paragraph redacted. I realized after reading the responses while NOT doing a dozen other things that I believe I missed the sarcasm font on a couple responses.  My apologies!---  

Disagree with their choice in musical direction versus your personal taste, cool.  I don't really like the Beatles very much. There. I said it, haha!

More than the fact that I am a big fan of all their music (seriously... all of their music.  Even St Anger has grown on me through the years!) I am SO over this election and these absolute turdsacks of candidates we have left at the bottom of the trash pile. Johnson too.  And that's hard for me to say.  I truly believe one has to be mentally ill to enthusiastically support any current candidate.  Please note I said ENTHUSIASTICALLY SUPPORT.  I understand the "well, this one's less spawn-of-satan-pure-evil than the other" argument.  I don't begrudge anyone for feeling that way.

I'm feeling just about hopeless with politics right now.  This shirt feels like all I can do.  Even more than how much I love Metallica, I dislike what's going on and this is my statement of dissent, er whatever.

Edited by musicman
  • Like 4

Yep.  The whole thing is maple.  It was part of the raw power series from about 8 years ago or so.  It's  heasver than many LPs I've held, and right between the weight of the desert burst 08 Standard and that teal prototype in the picture.  I put in the pickup set and white speed knobs from the Buckethead signature SG, and put locking grover keystones on there.  A lot of folks hate the white accents.  I love it. My only regret was not bugging Sherry in plastics to cut me a white pickguard for it.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, TrickyNicky said:

MettalicA was the first band I actually thought spoke to me musically and lyrically, everything else up to then was just bubble gum, not that theres anything wrong with that either, but they opened the door for me and showed me music was much more than just background noise.

Very much this. His lyrics speak to me, more so than any other band I listen to.  I'm an unashamed fanboy, St. Anger is great. The raw emotion in songs like Unnamed Feeling appeal to me. It's very personal.   

For whatever reason, my ear has always followed the rhythm lines. I certainly appreciate solos but when the rhythm section is locked in and cooking, that's where it's at. 

I tried to play bass at first but switched to guitar because my fingers were way too short. And I'm a total hack.  I can read music (former band geek) but tab books are the best I can do. I'd love to be able to just kinda play whatever's in my head, but haven't ever been able to pull that off. I took lessons for a while and really enjoyed it but life got in the way. Maybe I'll make my rock star bid when the kids are grown...  

• Like 1