Fire-Powered Cell Phone Chargers

Guest AmericanWorkMule

Guest AmericanWorkMule
[img]http://s3-ak.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr04/2012/11/1/17/enhanced-buzz-22774-1351804874-9.jpg[/img]

[url="http://shop.biolitestove.com/BioLite-CampStove_p_15.html"]http://shop.biolitestove.com/BioLite-CampStove_p_15.html[/url]

Cool idea, but $130 each! No thanks! Why does everything that's "good" for the enviroment cost so freakin' much that I'll have to spend more $$ on gas and put out more polution driving an extra day to work just to pay for it. Doesn't make sense does it? If they really wanted to do something good for the enviroment, they would make it affordable enough to actually get used by people. I'll wait for the "get two for $19.95" infomercial version. :rofl:

It appears to be a pretty nice piece of kit, and at that price well made. It's also possible that they're bumping the price for people like us to help subsidize supplying it to people living in places where it's not just a neat little toy.
I would rather have something like this if I have to have USB power.

Hand Crank Self-Powered Generator for Charging Cell Phones and Handheld Devices
[url="http://www.amazon.com/SOS-Charger-Hand-Crank-Emergency-Flashlight/dp/B002WRKZZ4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1352651389&sr=8-2&keywords=hand+crank+battery+charger"]http://www.amazon.co...battery charger[/url]
Cheaper and duel purpose.
It also appears to be smaller, lighter.

I don't have one of these but I might look into a few models and similar items. Edited by vontar
[quote name='TMF' timestamp='1352674450' post='843940']
Solar chargers work okay for camping if you dont have access to a vehicle to charge your phone. Yeah, it might not be sunny everyday, but the sun will come out eventually.
[/quote]

I do have a small solar charger. It is for a blackberry 1500ma battery included so It can charge the battery while the phone is not even connected. One suggested idea it to have it on your backpack out in the sun charging while you hike. However it does say it may take 2 days to charge.

I only got it for a backup battery for my droid x back in the day so I would have extra, easy battery power with out having to change the battery in the phone.
[quote name='Mike.357' timestamp='1352681536' post='844012']
if you need to light a fire to use your cellphone, I am pretty sure charging your cell phone will be the least of the troubles.
[/quote]

Cell phone, yes but portable devices that do not necessarily need network connections to work will be invaluable. Think of all the information you could store on an iPad. Everything from medical procedures, edible plants, all kinds of stuff one may not wish to memorize. I have a large file of such on my iMac. I can wipe my iPad clean and upload it all in a few minutes.
  • Like 1
I've got one of those gassification type hiking stoves. Great stove, but you're constantly feeding it twigs. Not that big a deal for boiling water, as mine will boil a cup of water in under 2 minutes, but for charging a phone?

I prefer the little hand crank weather radios. Solar cell, flashlight, NOAA/AM/FM, and can be used to charge a phone with a mini USB cord. They run 30 to 40 bucks.
  • 1 month later...
Guest jmoe816

I have one of these BioLites. The stove is great. It gets HOT very quickly. I have boiled water but did not record the time to boil. It will definitely charge a cell phone, but you have to have it roaring in order to draw a charge. So you basically have to keep adding wood to it in order to charge. I imagine something that drew less power like maybe an LED lamp would last longer without adding as much wood. Overall I am very happy though.

• 3 months later...
Guest damonsecloro

if you think burning wood is good for the environment then LOL, solar charging is the most environmentally friendly way, the only way unless they come up with a portable water stream charger or wind power to charge portable stuff.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

if you think burning wood is good for the environment then LOL, solar charging is the most environmentally friendly way, the only way unless they come up with a portable water stream charger or wind power to charge portable stuff.

Ummm... maybe after the fact. Read somewhere (several somewheres, actually) that producing photovoltaic cells creates more pollution than is saved by using them.