Is Owl Hollow open today?

Owl hollow?
Charlie Haffner Memorial range you mean? Or Charlie's range for short. The last few years of "Owl Hollow" was a debacle.

Charlie is closed every Monday and Thursday, as well as the first full weekend of the month. Today is neither so I would say Yes, he's open.
[quote name="Caster" post="1087341" timestamp="1388588131"]Owl hollow? Charlie Haffner Memorial range you mean? Or Charlie's range for short. The last few years of "Owl Hollow" was a debacle. Charlie is closed every Monday and Thursday, as well as the first full weekend of the month. Today is neither so I would say Yes, he's open.[/quote] What ever happened to owl hollow? I used to go there years ago, then heard that it was closed for a time after I had moved away, then heard it might be open again.

Yep.  that seems to be my short hand for CHMR.  ... I just think of it as the range on Owl Hollow Road - I don't know about any other Owl Hollow (?)

of course this is a range which is shares the awesome distinction of the oldest continually open range in the country... was founded by and is named after - for all I can tell, a wonderful person... and is now run by... well, a good guy cut from the same cloth.

-so I didn't mean any disrespect for that... I apparently just remember places of business by location.

Edited by Peace
It was previously called "owl hollow gun club" back when I was a member. Charlie enrolled me in his living room. I later dealt with some of his family for renewals, but I think he was still alive when I moved away. They were always nice to me. I had heard of some complaints about the range often being left a mess, and uneducated or irresponsible people shooting dangerously, and of some people shooting when it was supposed to be closed including too early in the morning. I didn't worry much about it, though, as the range was kind of decrepit and informal anyway, so I just followed the rules and always picked up more trash than I created. Never had a problem there in several years, and rarely saw other shooters there. It wasn't until I moved away that I heard rumors of some problems with the family members, the club being closed at some point, and then a possible re-opening. Hope it is still running and is better than ever. It would be a shame to lose another good place to shoot.
  • 2 months later...

Check out http://www.chmr.us

Is the website out of date? It says the yearly membership is $60 (not $90), and the range is closed each Thursday + the first full weekend of each month (no mention of Mondays).

It's been several years since I've been out there, so I'm not sure what is correct.

Yes, Charlie (Jr.) is the gentleman who runs the range. He lives on-site & usually comes down the hill to say hi. He was very nice & easy-going the couple of times I spoke with him.

I'll be checking this place out around 3:45 today. Nashville Armory had a 1.5 hour wait and the range area staff had the typical "I hate the world" demeanor.... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You aint the first to see this

You aint the first to see this

Pretty ridiculous. I think this is a fair picture of their service policy -->   :bat:

I think next time I go - if there is a next time - I will say something.

Yes its $90 now.

Yup, paid this today. Still worth it I feel. Great place, great owners, and scenic drive to boot.
Edited by Father Goose
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...