I have commissioned Grand Torino to make me a custom blade . :)

THIS WILL BE MY MOST VALUABLE FIXED BLADE KNIFE I WILL EVER OWN. I asked if we could show the progress of the manufacture process and he agreed. Get ready for a slow but very concise view of a custom high quality knife in progress from stage one.

The steel :

imagejpg1_zps5ea4e5e2.jpg

The Template :

imagejpg2_zps430bd264.jpg

The Trace :

imagejpg3_zpsef4e1e64.jpg

The Rough Cut Out :

imagejpg4_zps178afc4a.jpg

MORE TO COME ..........  :cheers:

Edited by Fourtyfive
  • Like 3

Nice. What kind of steel are you using?

I aint using it yet .....1084 carbon steel I believe.

That or laminated PBR cans which would suit me just fine  :cool: Otherwise known as PBR Damascus.

Edited by Fourtyfive
  • Like 2
  • Authorized Vendor

I aint using it yet .....1084 carbon steel I believe.

That or laminated PBR cans which would suit me just fine  :cool: Otherwise known as PBR Damascus.

I've got plenty of those...

14271107983_bb957980aa_o.jpg

Edited by Grand Torino
  • Like 3
  • Authorized Vendor

Forgive my ignorance...  Is the rod taped to the file just there as something to hold so you can use the full length of the file?

The rod is part of the simple jig and allows it to follow the preset angle.

• Like 1
  • Authorized Vendor

My filing setup is pretty much identical. It really shows that you can make some really nice stuff with a little patience and some simple tooling.

Lots of elbow grease and lots of patience. ;) Since it's a hobby I can't afford one of those fancy $2500 grinders with all of those attachments. If I had one of those I could cut the production time down to practically nothing. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Authorized Vendor

This will be a great thread to follow since GT's work turns out top notch. It's hard to get a idea of the knife size in the pictures. How long is blade? Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Total length is just over 10" with a blade length of about 5 1/2".

• Like 1

Total length is just over 10" with a blade length of about 5 1/2".

Grand Torino , if you want to post the pics instead of me repeating them that's fine. Just let me know , I'm having fun anyways just watching. I can't wait to get my hands on it , but take your time.

Looking good ! .......

"After using the bastard and double cut files and sanding with 80 grit I set the blade up on my handle 2X4 and start sanding lengthwise to flatten the blade and even things up. First I sand with 120 grit until the scratches from the 80 are gone the repeat the process with 220 grit. This is as far as I'll take it before it goes to heat treat."

Set up before sanding....

14259079272_290327d0ea_o_zps784bab97.jpg

After sanding down to 220.

14260815834_340a492b92_o_zps96e0fe24.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...