Firearms agitator still waiting to fight gun charge (Embody case)

Guest brianhaas

• Moderators

The real question...  Is he walking around downtown Nashville this weekend doing it again or not?

1983 federal lawsuit in 3... 2... 1...

As much as I dislike the asshat, I think odds are good he may have finally found the payday he has been after.

• Like 4

As much as I dislike the asshat, I think odds are good he may have finally found the payday he has been after.

A gun-owning white guy complaining about cops taking his scary black rifle away?

I wish a case like that had a chance, but it doesn't. 

A gun-owning white guy complaining about cops taking his scary black rifle away?

I wish a case like that had a chance, but it doesn't.

They clearly arrested and charged him with a crime he never committed. As a result, he lost his job, his home, and who knows what else.

It's not like there was gray area that needed the assistance of the Supreme Court to decipher. There's no way the police or DA couldn't have made a 2 minute phone call to the BATFE to find out whether or no he was breaking the law.

I believe, once they realized who he was, they were going to show him who was boss. That's not the job of law enforcement.

Like most members of TGO, I'm not a fan of his. But I definitely don't like the thought of being arrested for doing something that others don't like or aren't comfortable with. Allowing that to happen creates a slippery slope.

With that being said, I don't see him and his antics helping those of us who enjoy the already restricted firearms laws in any way. I wish he would stop.
  • Like 9

They clearly arrested and charged him with a crime he never committed. As a result, he lost his job, his home, and who knows what else.

It's not like there was gray area that needed the assistance of the Supreme Court to decipher. There's no way the police or DA couldn't have made a 2 minute phone call to the BATFE to find out whether or no he was breaking the law.

I believe, once they realized who he was, they were going to show him who was boss. That's not the job of law enforcement.

Like most members of TGO, I'm not a fan of his. But I definitely don't like the thought of being arrested for doing something that others don't like or aren't comfortable with. Allowing that to happen creates a slippery slope.

With that being said, I don't see him and his antics helping those of us who enjoy the already restricted firearms laws in any way. I wish he would stop.

I have to agree. I think he makes all gun owners look bad and hurts our cause. On the other hand, if I  were on the jury I would probably compensate him pretty well.

• Like 1

I was just listening to Phil Valentine in my truck talking about this, he made a good point that Metro police should know what the laws are and Embody should have a civil case against metro for being arrested for a law he didn't violate. I still think Embody is a bozo but actually I hope he wins a suit against metro because they were in the wrong no matter what anyone thinks about Embody.

• Like 2
If this guy was taking his rifle to have a friend look at it, taking it to a gunsmith or some other natural reason for carrying it I would agree. But this a$$hat was doing it to try and get attention and a potential payday. I feel nothing for this guy, its like the boy who cry's wolf day in and day out then complains when the wolf finally bites him in the backside. I am all for 2A rights, and if he carried that weapon practically everywhere he went that would be one thing, but IMHO this was more for the money than for 2A.
  • Moderators

If this guy was taking his rifle to have a friend look at it, taking it to a gunsmith or some other natural reason for carrying it I would agree. But this a$$hat was doing it to try and get attention and a potential payday. I feel nothing for this guy, its like the boy who cry's wolf day in and day out then complains when the wolf finally bites him in the backside. I am all for 2A rights, and if he carried that weapon practically everywhere he went that would be one thing, but IMHO this was more for the money than for 2A.

I would agree with you 100% on the bolded portion. Yet it is precisely because of that Metro needs to be sanctioned harshly. The reason is that they knew who he was and their actions were different because of that. It is a clear cut case of a selective and malicious application of the law against someone who was a disfavored person. Is he a douchebag and a giant pain in the ass? Abso-friggin-lutely. That does not grant the police the right to treat him any differently than anyone else or to maliciously pursue charges against him for a crime he did not commit. The cops & the DA don't get to prosecute someone to "teach them a lesson" as this case so clearly appears to be. 

I don't live in Nashville and I am pissed at Metro because the assholes are making me have to defend that douchenozzle. Do you know how ####ing much that annoys the #### out of me?When dealing with a dickhead, don't act in such a manner as to put the dickhead in the right.

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 6

.... The reason is that they knew who he was and their actions were different because of that. It is a clear cut case of a selective and malicious application of the law against someone who was a disfavored person. Is he a douchebag and a giant pain in the ass? Abso-friggin-lutely. That does not grant the police the right to treat him any differently than anyone else or to maliciously pursue charges against him for a crime he did not commit. The cops & the DA don't get to prosecute someone to "teach them a lesson" as this case so clearly appears to be. 

I don't live in Nashville and I am pissed at Metro because the assholes are making me have to defend that douchenozzle. Do you know how ####ing much that annoys the #### out of me?When dealing with a dickhead, don't act in such a manner as to put the dickhead in the right.

Yup. Official final action at the scene should have been "Sir, you're an idiot and free to go".

- OS

• Like 9
Guest brianhaas

Sorry I didn't post the follow-up story, I was out of town on another story. Obviously you guys saw the result of the criminal case.

I'm not surprised.

I'll have a follow-up story posted in the next hour or two.

Spoiler alert: Judge Wyatt ordered Metro police to give Embody his gun, case and silencer back.

• Moderators

I'm not counting lenny's money yet

Neither am I. How much payroll was wasted on prosecuting this case instead of actual crimes? I would venture that this case has already cost the citizens of Nasvhille thousands, if not tens of thousands, of dollars. That's not including the costs to defend against the eventual lawsuit that we all know will be brought.

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 1

Neither am I. How much payroll was wasted on prosecuting this case instead of actual crimes? I would venture that this case has already cost the citizens of Nasvhille thousands, if not tens of thousands, of dollars. That's not including the costs to defend against the eventual lawsuit that we all know will be brought.

Those lawyers are on the payroll. They cost by the budget year, not by the hour. I assume they use their staff attorneys for BS lawsuits, if he can sue them at all.

What would he sue for if I might be so naive?

Lost his job and his FFL business for starters. Assuming those can be definitely linked to the charge, there's the acual damages. Plus of course the more intangible allegations regarding emotional stuff, public repute, etc  for the punitive part.

edit: actually, looks like he's going only for federal civil rights suit so far, which is pretty much all punitive in nature when it comes to the bucks I believe?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Moderators
[quote name="dcloudy777" post="1184172" timestamp="1409266424"]Lenny ain't gonna get a dime. All he had to do was pop the "case" open, show the cops his NFA paperwork and that the rifle was unloaded, and go home, and he would have been fine.[/quote] He could have, but he didn't [b]have[/b] to. That's the basis of the wrongdoing by the officers, and they were in the wrong. Make no mistake about it.
  • Like 3
  • Moderators
[quote name="mikegideon" post="1184163" timestamp="1409263615"]Those lawyers are on the payroll. They cost by the budget year, not by the hour. I assume they use their staff attorneys for BS lawsuits, if he can sue them at all.[/quote] And that makes the hours they wasted on this case any less valuable? Were they not paid for that time? Salary or hourly, time is still money.

He could have, but he didn't have to. That's the basis of the wrongdoing by the officers, and they were in the wrong. Make no mistake about it.

Everybody is just gonna have to count their marbles at the end of the game to figure out who won. This wasn't some hothead cop that hauled lenny in. Those folks moved pretty carefully. I have been on a jury that awarded damages. Lenny sure as hell doesn't want me on his.