Cheap Bump Fire Stock

Yeah, makes it almost worth it. But the saving on the stock will quickly be eaten up in additional ammunition costs. :)

The very reason I have not and will not buy one.

Edited by RED333

How can anyone accurately aim with a bump-fire? It looks like it jumps around all over the place too much. 

The AK ones sure seem to, but firing one of the original SlideFire stocks that my uncle has, I was able to keep it on target just fine.  The cyclic is probably 100rpm slower than an M4 on full auto (if I had to guess) and it makes it much more manageable.  Kinda like the slow cycle on a M45/Swedish K on full auto versus an MP5.  As for the video, they put a 100 pound girl in yoga pants who can't even hold the rifle properly to demonstrate their product.  If they wanted to show how it could be accurately fired with stability, they would have put a dude on there.

I feel pretty insulted by that marketing ploy.  If we're going to objectify women to sell men products, at least put them in something low cut so we can see their boobs jiggle. 

• Like 7

After looking around the interwebs and seeing all the different stocks we eventually chose the BUMPSKI based on looks alone , but I have also seen all the do it yourself videos and actually made a cheap one myself "bumpski was 450.00" I made this one with nothing more than a bent piece of steel and some bolts It worked just as good as the bumpski. 

I can be pretty accurate with it and it is very controllable 

Edited by plank white
  • Like 2

I have a slide fire that I got used for cheap.   The one I have has a selector that locks the sliding part to make a standard semi-auto AR platform.  

As for aiming it, it is difficult.  I have fired both full auto and bumpfire ARs and both are not something you really "aim" in the true sense of the word.  They are more, IMHO, for close quarters point and shoot (spray).    Given the funky hold for bumpfire to work aiming is very, very difficult indeed -- you can do it with practice. 

The issue I have with them is the AR does not really support a big enough mag to go full auto on any real scale.  A 3 round burst gun you get 10 shots from a standard mag.  A 5 round burst gun gets you 6 shots.   Doubles get you 15 shots.   This is simply not enough if you are facing the kind of threats that require spraying lead everywhere --- you need a belt or at least a 100 round mag.  You can get the very high cap mags but they have a dubious reputation.

The bump fire is hard on the gun.  Typical cheap ARs were not meant to cycle 300+ rounds in 10 min -- maybe the high end guns can take more of it, but they get too hot.

The bump fire is difficult to maintain as well; mine at least takes pulling the gun into your shoulder while pushing just so forward on the forend while holding your trigger finger steady and all that with controlling the gun.  Its kind of hard to get more than a 5 round burst without a fair bit of practice; most people cant get but 2-3 shots at a go for the first mag or two. 

I am glad I have it because its a lot of fun, but at the end of the day it is a range toy.

The AK ones sure seem to, but firing one of the original SlideFire stocks that my uncle has, I was able to keep it on target just fine.  The cyclic is probably 100rpm slower than an M4 on full auto (if I had to guess) and it makes it much more manageable.  Kinda like the slow cycle on a M45/Swedish K on full auto versus an MP5.  As for the video, they put a 100 pound girl in yoga pants who can't even hold the rifle properly to demonstrate their product.  If they wanted to show how it could be accurately fired with stability, they would have put a dude on there.

I feel pretty insulted by that marketing ploy.  If we're going to objectify women to sell men products, at least put them in something low cut so we can see their boobs jiggle. 

Did you notice there was less jiggle than I expected? I'm thinking them puppies are reenforced with some polymers or something.

• Like 1
[quote name="mikegideon" post="1189976" timestamp="1410803386"]Wear something low cut. TMF insists :)[/quote] Haha, wives and kids are sacred. Now, if we're talking mere lady friends, then we can discuss the bouncies. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wear something low cut. TMF insists :)

Haha, wives and kids are sacred. Now, if we're talking mere lady friends, then we can discuss the bouncies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the request was for KKing to wear something low cut.

I worry about this group sometimes....
[quote name="TrickyNicky" post="1189989" timestamp="1410806012"] I think the request was for KKing to wear something low cut. I worry about this group sometimes....[/quote] Hahaha, I totally missed that one. In that case, uniform is ranger panties and a light coat of oil. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[quote name="TMF" post="1189992" timestamp="1410807062"]Hahaha, I totally missed that one. In that case, uniform is ranger panties and a light coat of oil.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote] I can almost certainly assure you that will not be the case lol
Alright who's going to tell me how to upload video or let me email them a clip to post? Tapatalk keeps giving me an error message. It's no review or anything but it is a few second clip of me getting about a 10 round string off Edited by KKing

Alright who's going to tell me how to upload video or let me email them a clip to post? Tapatalk keeps giving me an error message. It's no review or anything but it is a few second clip of me getting about a 10 round string off

Alright who's going to tell me how to upload video or let me email them a clip to post? Tapatalk keeps giving me an error message. It's no review or anything but it is a few second clip of me getting about a 10 round string off

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w408/TrickyNickyII/4EBFB08E-49A5-4F76-8CA3-827BCDAD6521-957-0000029CA07B998C_zps883ae3a4.mp4

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w408/TrickyNickyII/BCA0AEB4-A87A-4366-A281-36136421CCF7-957-0000029C9096A43F_zps24fdb21d.mp4

I have a slide fire that I got used for cheap. The one I have has a selector that locks the sliding part to make a standard semi-auto AR platform.

As for aiming it, it is difficult. I have fired both full auto and bumpfire ARs and both are not something you really "aim" in the true sense of the word. They are more, IMHO, for close quarters point and shoot (spray). Given the funky hold for bumpfire to work aiming is very, very difficult indeed -- you can do it with practice.
The issue I have with them is the AR does not really support a big enough mag to go full auto on any real scale. A 3 round burst gun you get 10 shots from a standard mag. A 5 round burst gun gets you 6 shots. Doubles get you 15 shots. This is simply not enough if you are facing the kind of threats that require spraying lead everywhere --- you need a belt or at least a 100 round mag. You can get the very high cap mags but they have a dubious reputation.

The bump fire is hard on the gun. Typical cheap ARs were not meant to cycle 300+ rounds in 10 min -- maybe the high end guns can take more of it, but they get too hot.

The bump fire is difficult to maintain as well; mine at least takes pulling the gun into your shoulder while pushing just so forward on the forend while holding your trigger finger steady and all that with controlling the gun. Its kind of hard to get more than a 5 round burst without a fair bit of practice; most people cant get but 2-3 shots at a go for the first mag or two.

I am glad I have it because its a lot of fun, but at the end of the day it is a range toy.

I have more than 30 years of shooting and gunsmithing experience, including hundreds of custom AR builds and complete tear downs. I also own and have used the original slide fire stock on more than 6 different ARs, with dozens of shooters of all ages and sizes. Based on my experience, I have to disagree with most of these points above.

The slide fire stock doesn't make the gun more difficult to aim, as the gun still uses the same sights. The rapid fire and resulting muzzle climb might initially make it more difficult for a novice to stay on target, but most novices that tried my slide fire stock were able to keep most of their 30 rounds within a human silhouette pattern at distances between 15-20 yards, and then with just a little training and practice they got much better, especially when using several short 3-6 round bursts. Even a small 9 year old kid did it fine with no prior rifle instruction other than proper safety controls during his run. Nobody had any trouble learning how to shoot it, with most shooters learning the proper forearm trigger control method after just 2 or 3 short bursts.

While a 30 round mag could be used up quickly, and more rounds are always welcome, the typical civilian defensive scenario with just 1-3 attackers at short distance isn't something that would require more than 2-4 short bursts anyway. The super large mags and belt fed guns are mainly for military combat use, where they will have dozens or hundreds of adversaries and be shooting for extended periods at longer ranges, and laying down suppressive or covering fire.

And the statement about bump fire being hard on the gun is just false. Most if not all of the modern ARs are built to meet and exceed military specifications, and often the civilian parts are made by the same military contract suppliers as the more expensive guns.

I have torn down and rebuilt more than a dozen Colt M16s from Vietnam, and those guns are not magically better or more durable, in fact they had a few older inferior parts that have since been improved, and they used thin pencil barrels that would overheat faster than most modern heavier or fluted civilian barrels.

I have run at least 300 rounds through a cheap parts kit AR in less than 10 minutes and it fired perfectly with no harm done, other than the barrel getting super hot and of course the usual fouling in the action. And if you run the slide fire on a modern piston action then it actually stays cooler and cleaner than those old military guns ever did.

I do agree with JONIN though that the slide fire stock is primarily for target shooting and fun recreation, as most people (just one or a few guns and little or no recurring practice) wouldn't need or benefit from using it in a typical defensive scenario. But then again it can always be switched to semiauto mode, so the argument would be why not just have it, just in case?
  • Like 1

its not the muzzle climb alone, it is splitting your attention between forward pressure, keeping it just-so in the shoulder, and aiming while under recoil (which is mild) that makes it a lot harder than normal.    It also depends on expectations...  I was expecting that on a stationary target at short ranges and short bursts (as you said 15-25 yards) the rounds would all be in the vitals (say, a 4 inch group or so), not just on the paper.   At that range a novice can double tap the head in the same amount of time it takes to put a 5 burst all over the torso.   In that sense, its harder to aim.  But I agree, that sounds about like what I have experienced as well.    Enough practice will probably overcome it but I stand by what I said -- its significantly more difficult vs semi auto.

Agreed about typical scenarios, but would you really use this thing in a typical scenario?  I would think a long range gun that has a high chance to produce many stray rounds would not fit typical scenarios.

Its good to know that the heat is not doing any real harm.  I worry when things get that hot that fast as I do not have the experience to know when too much is too much. 

So I take it a trigger like the SD3G will shorten the pull and speeding up and smoothing out the action of a bump fire stock?