comcast 1gig speeds for cable customers

Sam1

I've been waiting for Google 1 gigabit to get away from Comcast, but the rollout has been so slow, I think I'm going to just do the 1 gigabit with Comcast since its basically the same price.

Only downside is they make you sign a 3 year contract. 

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I've been waiting for Google 1 gigabit to get away from Comcast, but the rollout has been so slow, I think I'm going to just do the 1 gigabit with Comcast since its basically the same price.

Only downside is they make you sign a 3 year contract. 

Don't do it, I've been waiting on Google too but I'm not giving in!

• Like 1

Not sure, I've got lines up on the poles in my hood but no service yet. They are doing apartments first it seems. I could have saved quite a bit of money this past year by signing a contract with the devil but I'm not gonna do it if it takes 10 years .......

• Like 1

4K...Gigabytes.... :rolleyes:  There's absolutely nothing wrong with my Commodore 64 running CompuServe!  Also the picture is just fine on my Magnavox floor console TV.  And the base swivels!  Let's see your flat screen do that! :P 

19 hours ago, tacops said:

Just opened my Comcast bill and found it was $130 higher than normal and we have made no changes or add ons.  :mad:

Usually when that happens, one of the kids discovered PPV ;) 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Fourtyfive said:

Don't do it, I've been waiting on Google too but I'm not giving in!

Go ahead and give in, Google fiber reduced their department size by 50% because they are going to refocus their efforts on wireless technologies since they are having so many problems putting in fiber lines.

10 hours ago, bud said:

lol "honest error".

Comcast makes Wells Fargo look like a middle school bubble gum thief.

When I was with Comcast I never rented their modem...always provided my own, but every couple of years I'd notice a modem rental fee start showing up on my bill and would have to call them to get it removed. It happened too often to be an error.

Yeah that was the bad thing, I just bought a new modem that will work with their service but they require the rental of theirs.  They do toss in a new Netgear AC3200 nighthawk router for free though (to use) which will be an upgrade from my old Asus AC1750.  

And there is no cap on allotted bandwidth, I did verify that.

13 minutes ago, Fourtyfive said:

Be aware that the new router shares your bandwidth with anyone in wireless distance that is an existing customer. I think you can shut that feature off ....

Since it's a standalone router, I can fix that problem with a reflash.  And if they have everything locked out I'll just plug back up mine.

• Like 1

Honest question for those of you seeking GB speeds. What are you expecting to get from it? Are you running some type of server or online service out of your home? Hosting a website or file store perhaps?

I ask because if not, you're really just paying a lot more money for bandwidth you don't need.

I have around 8 wireless IoT devices, 4 laptops, a file server and my family streams video and does online gaming daily. We have a 90mb pipe and it's NEVER under load.

Remember, just because you have a 1gb pipe to your residence doesn't mean you will download everything at 1gb. That's a common misconception.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, NoBanStan said:

Honest question for those of you seeking GB speeds. What are you expecting to get from it? Are you running some type of server or online service out of your home? Hosting a website or file store perhaps?

I ask because if not, you're really just paying a lot more money for bandwidth you don't need.

I have around 8 wireless IoT devices, 4 laptops, a file server and my family streams video and does online gaming daily. We have a 90mb pipe and it's NEVER under load.

Remember, just because you have a 1gb pipe to your residence doesn't mean you will download everything at 1gb. That's a common misconception.

It's not about need, it's about want.  You can't drive a corvette full throttle everywhere, but they're still more awesome than a hyundai accent.

1 hour ago, Sam1 said:

It's not about need, it's about want.  You can't drive a corvette full throttle everywhere, but they're still more awesome than a hyundai accent.

lol true, but nobody looks cool for having 1gb internet :)

this is more like buying a chainsaw to cut a dowel pin

1 hour ago, NoBanStan said:

I don't need more than 50mb down, it's really the upload that comes with fiber that I yearn for. I have the capability to stream a half dozen real time VERY high quality security camera feeds and several streams of HD video from my media server all at once that are all very currently DRASTICALLY restricted by upload speed.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, 2.ooohhh said:

I don't need more than 50mb down, it's really the upload that comes with fiber that I yearn for. I have the capability to stream a half dozen real time VERY high quality security camera feeds and several streams of HD video from my media server all at once that are all very currently DRASTICALLY restricted by upload speed.

yeah the i 100% get the desire for fiber for that very reason.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Sam1 said:

Sign me up, can we use a Jonsered on the dowel pin?

Yeah I get it. What you want is what you want. I always like to chip in advice about things like bandwidth simply because a lot of folks don't get it.

My neighbor, for instance, has 1 desktop computer. When he felt his internet was slow he upped his bandwidth to 300mbps from 90. He complained about the bill so I looked over his computer and figured out that it was 10 years old and chock full of malware. I had him replace it with something budget modern and had him cut back to 30mpbs. He couldn't be happier now.

I'd rather have a 10mb fiber connection over a 1 gig baseband service since at least 75% of my use is researching academic journal databases,  effectively web surfing at 105mph...every single day.  But that's out of the question in my area.

After a couple of hours of brain racking, the tech couldn't get anything set up properly.  He had a bandwidth tester that I am assuming ran on a different layer, that showed 940/40 bandwidth but none of my devices would do more than what I was running this morning before the install of the new gear lol.  3 different computers, 3 different operating systems, different cables, wifi on the old router, the new router or even connected directly to the modem.  I told him we could wait a day or two and see if it's just an infrastructure issue on their side and will call in a ticket if it's the same.

They do give you a netgear nighthawk x6, but, that is the worst router I have used in probably 15 years of working with computers.  It literally takes 20-30 seconds for the router to change pages on the control panel.  It's definitely not going to be used.  Am curious if I actually get to keep this thing cause I can pawn it off on the interwebs and buy something that runs faster than an atari 2600.