Raw pure lead??

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but if not can someone tell me where I need to post it.

I have an opportunity to lay my hands on some pure lead but I have no clue what pure lead is worth or selling for. If someone could steer me in a direction I could get a price it would be very much appreciated. I'm talking a pretty large quanity of lead. I don't do reloading but I am sure someone here does and might be able to point me in the right direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bersaguy

Soft pure lead is usually worth more than unknown alloyed lead. Price of pure lead at the scrap dealer locally runs about 60 to 80 cents a lb. IF in ingot form and stamped by the mfg. should be worth a mim. of $1.00 lb. Usually local scrap pay .25/lb. then sell for .40/lb for dirty lead. I bought a sailboat keel 98% pb,1.29sb. that weighed 0ver 1600 lbs a few years ago. I melted it and poured 7 to 8 lb ingots. Used a chain hoist to hang it up and a Harbor Freight propane weed burner to melt it down into a large pot and ladled it into ingots. Chain saw also works to cut large pieces. Put a tarp down to catch shavings. Pure lead can be scratched with your fingernail, about 8 bhn hard. A lot of hard work to smelt and flux to remove impurities.

• Like 1

I'd love to score some lead at 40¢-60¢ a lb, I am going to have to start checking my scrapyards more often.  @owejia you lucked out on that keel, many times boat keels are what ever lead they can get and most times it's not pure.  I think 1600lbs would last my lifetime and then some.