Having trouble finding someone to lay tile

Erik88

We have been trying for months now to fine someone to install around 1,100 sq ft of wood-look tile in our house. 

We have reached out to at least 6 different people/companies and been blown off or ignored by all of them. Apparently we are not the only ones having this problem in Knoxville. 

Anyone have any suggestions?  I never thought it would be this difficult to find someone to take my money.

Construction is booming in the area. Gonna be hard to find anyone willing to do a small job for an individual.  You might have better luck with handyman type guys rather than contractors.  

As stated, it's not that hard to DIY. 

I will admit I had my two sons do most of it. I supervised. Too old and decrepid for that. We found a great deal on some commercial grade 20x20 1/2” think tile. Was beautiful but dang heavy. It was 79 cents a tile. Wound up with one tile that did not adhere perfect. It was center of dining room. It is still there. Lol

I'll also add that tiling is actually quite easy.   I've only done a single bathroom but once you get past the measuring and determining if the room is actually square, which can be somewhat vexing (especially when listening to internet experts), it's a breeze.

Lay down the hardi-backer, mix up some mud, lay down the tiles, then grout.

Tile cutters can be had cheap at Harbor Freight and you'll need one of those.

Edited by Garufa

Rent a tile saw. My wife and I have done A LOT of tile and we always used snipes and grinders. We decided to splurge on the last one and rent a tile saw, best money we ever spent. Paid for itself with pieces that didn't randomly break in the wrong place.

Also, lay out every single tile you can to look for problems before gluing them down. And start out as close as you can to the middle, instead of against a wall, otherwise it will look skewed by the time you get to the other wall.

We ALWAYS have at least a box worth of bits and pieces left over so plan accordingly. And one more thing, check lot numbers so they are the same pattern and shade. If you cannot get the same lot number then unbox every box and mix the tile up before you start.

• Like 3

Guys this almost our entire house with a lot of weird angles. If it was just 1 easy room I'd probably consider it.

Also, my wife is having a baby shower here in a month so she demands it gets done before then. Must make the wife happy. :)

6 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Guys this almost our entire house with a lot of weird angles. If it was just 1 easy room I'd probably consider it.

Also, my wife is having a baby shower here in a month so she demands it gets done before then. Must make the wife happy. :)

Prepare her for disappointment. If you haven't found someone now, it ain't gonna be done in a month.  

And weird angles might help, it'll be less obvious if things aren't square. 

Edited by peejman
23 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Wives like to demand. That does not always mean what they demand can be done. 

I can demand to have a Lamborghini every day....still not gonna happen

The good tile men / companies are booked for 6+ months, prices for proper tile installation should start at $3 / sf, straight lay, no pattern, have 5% - 15% extra tile, and wood plank tile should be set on 1/3 break or less.

I ran a large tile company at one time, I'm not setting my own tile.

3 hours ago, Gotthegoods said:

The good tile men / companies are booked for 6+ months, prices for proper tile installation should start at $3 / sf, straight lay, no pattern, have 5% - 15% extra tile, and wood plank tile should be set on 1/3 break or less.

I ran a large tile company at one time, I'm not setting my own tile.

I've had a few guys tell me $3ft and then we never heard from them again. We had a guy come out last night and take a look. He charges $3.5/ft which I feel is fair. I'm waiting on an itemized quote. 

• Like 1

Plank tile can have a slight bow, laying off set 1/3 or 1/4 "hides" it.

Also decide if you want a consistent brick pattern or random pattern.

Setting 1000 sf of residential tile with odd cuts, assume 1 day of prep, set 100-300 sf max per day, grout following day, clean 4th day. With full access. Thats 2 weeks or so. 

This is THE tile forum. I was member when I was in the industry.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php

Keep this in mind for tile work:

Fast + cheap won't be good

Fast + good won't be cheap

Good + cheap won't be fast

Good hunting, good tile men are as scarce as Buffalo

• Like 1