The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

I will leave an open invite to TGOers to my place in Lebanon for a TGO bourbon tasting and general socializing / fun.
Caveats:

Minimum of one year and 100 post count on TGO. I reserve the right to limit/exclude or disinvite people (my house /my rules)

Doors open after I move in the new place - so looking at late this fall

Who is in? Edited by Hershmeister
  • Like 3

I will leave an open invite to TGOers to my place in Lebanon for a TGI bourbon tasting and general socializing / fun.
Caveats:

Minimum of one year and 100 post count on TGO. I reserve the right to limit/exclude or disinvite people (my house /my rules)

Who is in?

Yo, right here, I'm borderline on the 100 posts though.

In on the tasting hersh.

As to my latest spirit quest I've been into a few spiced rums for a change of scenery while on vacation. Brinley Gold was the best of the bunch by far for anything mixed. While I found I preferred crusoe over ice.

16246866983_ce6af9961a.jpg

Untitled by systemdelete, on Flickr

Crusoe_Spiced_Rum_20110607.jpg

Edited by 2.ooohhh

I will leave an open invite to TGOers to my place in Lebanon for a TGO bourbon tasting and general socializing / fun.
Caveats:

Who is in?

I'd love to be in on this and meet a few other TGO whiskey folks.

Caveats:

Who is in?

Sounds good to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone seen New Belgium Shift in Nashville area? I haven't scoured the area, just wondered if anyone has seen any.

62B405AF-58EC-4E7E-AF56-1FEF244C4A77_zps

I have some Shift in the fridge that I bought from Walgreens in Lebanon. I like to rotate what's in the fridge so I am not always looking for it, but this is my second purchase of it from the same Walgreens.
  • Like 1

I've become increasingly fond of the Evan Williams 2005 Single barrel.

evanwilliamssinglebarrel.jpg

Best under rated bottle of bourbon in the market I think.  We sell it for under 30 bucks.  I think people see it and buy something else because of the name. Read Evan Williams and they think of the green label stuff.   The single barrel is an awesome spirit.

We acquired some Elmer T Lee the other day.  One bottle per person limit.   Customers have been asking about the Pappy crap,  if it was released we did not get any.  Knox is far down the pecking order sometimes.  I think we got a case of Rocky Hill Farm too.  I dunno anything about it though.

• Like 1

Best under rated bottle of bourbon in the market I think.  We sell it for under 30 bucks.  I think people see it and buy something else because of the name. Read Evan Williams and they think of the green label stuff.   The single barrel is an awesome spirit.

We acquired some Elmer T Lee the other day.  One bottle per person limit.   Customers have been asking about the Pappy crap,  if it was released we did not get any.  Knox is far down the pecking order sometimes.  I think we got a case of Rocky Hill Farm too.  I dunno anything about it though.

Sounds to me like I need to pay you a visit Mike :)

Best under rated bottle of bourbon in the market I think. We sell it for under 30 bucks. I think people see it and buy something else because of the name. Read Evan Williams and they think of the green label stuff. The single barrel is an awesome spirit.

We acquired some Elmer T Lee the other day. One bottle per person limit. Customers have been asking about the Pappy crap, if it was released we did not get any. Knox is far down the pecking order sometimes. I think we got a case of Rocky Hill Farm too. I dunno anything about it though.

I'd have to agree with the EW Single being under rated. I'm fine with it staying that way too.

From what I read on some bourbon forums, there was a recent KY-only release of the Pappy stuff. Either BT released it twice in KY, or the distributor wanted to fool with people and decided to release in spring instead of fall.

I believe Rock Hill Farms is a BT product of the same mashbill as Blanton's. Some people will tell you it's a superior product to Blanton's, but in my opinion that's a bunch of "bovine scatology."

I believe Rock Hill Farms is a BT product of the same mashbill as Blanton's. Some people will tell you it's a superior product to Blanton's, but in my opinion that's a bunch of "bovine scatology."

Just read an article stating such. Its also priced slightly higher than blantons. and without the cool topper :(

Just read an article stating such. Its also priced slightly higher than blantons. and without the cool topper :(

I'm a huge fan of Blanton's, of course I could be a sucker for the bottle design and the topper, but I really like the bourbon too. I need one more stopper for the collection to be complete. I'm dropping hints to the wife and hoping to complete the collection for Father's Day. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll get the display barrel stave from BT also.
With regards to Rock Hill, I've tried it twice and didn't care for it a lot. Something about the finish didn't settle well. Both times was from the same bottle though, so maybe it was just a dud.

don't go today looking for me, LOL.  It is my off day and i might take heat over it.  Feel free to go in like any other customer and ask about availability

np, which topper are you looking for?   Remember there are two different N's.  I am not sure which is which though.  I don't mind keeping an eye out for it.

My guess on the Rock Hill is maybe they have a horse eligible for the KY derby and BT is capitalizing on it by coming out with that now.  

Edited by Mike.357

Larceny is a great deal if you do the rebate.  20 dollars back on a 1.75 gets it in your hands ( after 6-8 weeks) for around 20 bucks.

May have mentioned it before here but Larceny is a wheated bourbon and comes in at 92 proof.  Not as sweet as Makers Mark, but that is the market share they are hoping to steal from.

• 3 weeks later...

Completed the Blanton's stopper collection today with my 2nd 'N'!  :up:

Stopped by my usual store on the way in to work and picked it up.  I'll have pictures of the set soon. 

Now to talk the wife into getting the souvenir stave from BT to mount them in ... 

In other news ... I noticed today that my favorite day-to-day sipper, Elijah Craig 12-year, has had the prominent 12 taken off the front and replaced with a barrel.  :eek:  :mad:  :censored:

There is still a 12-year statement on the back, but I wonder how long that will stay there.  The color of the whiskey in the new bottling was also not quite as a dark as a bottle sitting next to it that still had the age statement on the front. 

This distressed me, as for $30, I dare say it's one of my favorite whiskey's out there.  

Luckily I was able to pick up a case (qty 3) of the 1.75L size of the EC still with the 12-year statement on the front.  Should last me for a long while.

I noticed another bourbon with a new label hit the shelf with a lack of an age statement.   Jim Beam Black Label used to say 8 years old,  then they switched to the title Double Aged,  now the label says Extra Aged.   No telling how old it is.

Distilleries simply can't keep up with the demand.

On a sad note we are completely sold out of Elmer T Lee.

I do have one bottle of Rock Hill I can sell if anyone wants to come in to the store this afternoon or tonight.  Ask for me if you don't know me and please be discreet.

I think it is about 60 bucks otd give or take.

• Like 1