turnip

What happens to (lifetime) CHL If I move out of TN

Have lifetime CHL but will be moving to another state for a lengthy period of time. Do I need to maintain residence in TN for the permit to remain valid? Or is it still good when I come back (possibly years)?

thank you

What is a CHL?  In Tennessee, you get a HCP (Handgun Carry Permit). I think as long as you maintain your residency here in Tennessee, and keep a Tennessee Driver's license, you should be ok, as long as it isn't  permanent relocation.

I’m pretty sure the validity of the lifetime HCP is dependent upon residency in the state of TN. If you become a resident of another state, then your permit is no longer valid.  

• Like 1

The HCP is tied to our DL because of the number.  If you cease to have a TNDL would that mean you also cease to have a HCP?  

24 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I’m pretty sure the validity of the lifetime HCP is dependent upon residency in the state of TN. If you become a resident of another state, then your permit is no longer valid.  

Citation?  I know that you can get a TN HCP as a resident of another state.  

I just read through the lifetime permit section of code and there is a line that states "shall continue to be valid for the life of the permit holder unless the permit holder no longer meets the requirements of this section" but I don't see anything in that "section" that mentions maintaining residence after issuance.  

https://codes.findlaw.com/tn/title-39-criminal-offenses/tn-code-sect-39-17-1351.html

3 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

Citation?  I know that you can get a TN HCP as a resident of another state.  

I just read through the lifetime permit section of code and there is a line that states "shall continue to be valid for the life of the permit holder unless the permit holder no longer meets the requirements of this section" but I don't see anything in that "section" that mentions maintaining residence after issuance.  

https://codes.findlaw.com/tn/title-39-criminal-offenses/tn-code-sect-39-17-1351.html

If you move out of state then you are no longer a resident, a requirement of issuance.

1 minute ago, Garufa said:

If you move out of state then you are no longer a resident, a requirement of issuance.

Am I wrong in thinking that issuance and maintenance are two separate things?  Also, as I said, there is a provision for issuance without residency.  

Edited by Capbyrd

Everything in 39-17-1351 only applies to residents of Tennessee.

39-17-1351

(x) 
(1)  Any resident of Tennessee who is a United States citizen or lawful permanent resident, as defined by § 55-50-102, who has reached twenty-one (21) years of age, may apply to the department of safety for a lifetime enhanced handgun carry permit. If the applicant is not prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm in this state pursuant to § 39-17-1316 or § 39-17-1307(b), 18 U.S.C. § 922(g), or any other state or federal law, and the applicant otherwise meets all of the requirements of this section, the department shall issue a permit to the applicant. The lifetime enhanced handgun carry permit shall entitle the permit holder to carry any handgun or handguns the permit holder legally owns or possesses and shall entitle the permit holder to any privilege granted to enhanced handgun carry permit holders. The requirements imposed on enhanced handgun carry permit holders by this section shall also apply to lifetime enhanced handgun carry permit holders.

(2)  The department shall charge an application and processing fee for a lifetime enhanced handgun carry permit equal to the application and processing fee charged under subsection (p) plus a lifetime enhanced handgun carry permit fee of two hundred dollars ($200); provided, however, that a permit holder who is applying for the renewal of an enhanced handgun carry permit under subsection (q) may instead obtain a lifetime enhanced handgun carry permit by submitting to the department a fee of two hundred dollars ($200). The application process shall otherwise be the same as the application process for an enhanced handgun carry permit as set out in this section. Any funds from the fees paid pursuant to this subdivision (x)(2) that are not used for processing applications and issuing permits shall be retained by the department to fund any necessary system modifications required to create a lifetime enhanced handgun carry permit and monitor the eligibility of lifetime enhanced handgun carry permit holders as required by subdivision (x)(3).

(3)  A lifetime enhanced handgun carry permit shall not expire and shall continue to be valid for the life of the permit holder unless the permit holder no longer meets the requirements of this section. A lifetime enhanced handgun carry permit shall not be subject to renewal; provided, however, that every five (5) years after issuance of the lifetime enhanced handgun carry permit, the department shall conduct a criminal history record check in the same manner as required for enhanced handgun carry permit renewals. Upon discovery that a lifetime enhanced handgun carry permit holder no longer satisfies the requirements of this section, the department shall suspend or revoke the permit pursuant to § 39-17-1352.

• Like 1

I swear on a jury trial I could beat every single one of yall in court.   

I say again, the only time residency is mentioned is while applying.   And even that has an exception listed.  

• Haha 1

While I am confident in my reading of the law, I would suggest to the OP that he contact the HCP office in Nashville for a final answer. 

• Like 1

When I moved to Florida, my TN permit became inactive once I got a Florida driver's licence.  So in theory, the OP could just never declare residency in the other state and keep his TN permit but he'd likely be breaking a few laws in the new state. 

My dad recently moved back to TN after a 7 year stint in Texas. He was surprised to learn that they let him renew his carry permit at the DMV. He didn't even have to retake the class which is odd. When I moved back to TN in 2015 I had to redo the entire process. Something clearly has changed.

I wonder why states don’t take the extra money? I tried to renew my Illinois FOID card. Even though I’m not required to have it; it would be less drama because I shoot more there than I do here. But nope, you have to sign saying you are a resident.

States can only enforce their own state laws, so if a person is willing to sign saying they understand and will abide by those laws, and they meet all the requirements; what do they care if you are a resident or not?

12 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I wonder why states don’t take the extra money? I tried to renew my Illinois FOID card. Even though I’m not required to have it; it would be less drama because I shoot more there than I do here. But nope, you have to sign saying you are a resident.

States can only enforce their own state laws, so if a person is willing to sign saying they understand and will abide by those laws, and they meet all the requirements; what do they care if you are a resident or not?

Come on Dave, you are smarter than that.  Don't try to bring logical thought into dealings with the Govt.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, thank you, it was supposed to be HCP. 

To restate, I hope, more clearly:

I will be moving permanently to another state. I will be getting HCP, DL from the new state. I understand that when I become resident at new location I can no longer use my lifetime TN permit there or here. However, I'd like to be able to use TN HCP when/if I move back to TN. I'd hope that the only thing I have to change is the address on the HCP permit, but not go through the entire CCL process again.

Edited by turnip
restarte my question more clearly

2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

When I moved to Florida, my TN permit became inactive once I got a Florida driver's licence.  So in theory, the OP could just never declare residency in the other state and keep his TN permit but he'd likely be breaking a few laws in the new state. 

My dad recently moved back to TN after a 7 year stint in Texas. He was surprised to learn that they let him renew his carry permit at the DMV. He didn't even have to retake the class which is odd. When I moved back to TN in 2015 I had to redo the entire process. Something clearly has changed.

It use to be that there was a 6 month grace period to renew an expired permit.  I believe that is why in 2015 you had to redo the course, etc.  About 2017 that changed to an 8 yr period before having to do the course, thus your dad's situation was more favorable.

To go along with the current topic, one has to be a TN resident to have a TN permit unless on active duty.  However, having tried to help someone on active duty, it is not an easy process.  I would recommend talking with the Nashville office.  It would not surprise me if they give a inactive status, but again I am trying to make sense of the situation.