The little Things.

While i am admittedly no gun expert/tactician/professional I do like to shoot and learn more all the time. I had the benefit of being shown some shooting tips the other day, that at the time I though was no big deal. Went to the range and tried out the technique and WOW, what a difference. I'm sure some of you already knew the tip, but i didn't.

I was advised to hold the trigger down after the first shot till I was back on target then let it out until I felt the reset and then pull for the second shot and so on. My groups tightened considerably, my speed increased, and no longer was I having my nagging problem of shooting low left.

Edited by TGO David
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Hyaloid
While i am admittedly no gun expert/tactician/professional I do like to shoot and learn more all the time. I had the benefit of being shown some shooting tips the other day, that at the time I though was no big deal. Went to the range and tried out the technique and WOW, what a difference. I'm sure some of you already knew the tip, but i didn't.

I was advised to hold the trigger down after the first shot till I was back on target then let it out until I felt the reset and then pull for the second shot and so on. My groups tightened considerably, my speed increased, and no longer was I having my nagging problem of shooting low left.

I hadn't heard that before, I am in the same boat as you.... thanks for sharing!

I also have the "low left" issue. I'll have to try that next time I hit the range.

This has been the only thing that kept me from "slapping"/jerking the trigger. It was fun to shoot like i knew what I was doing!:D

John advised me to hold the trigger down after the first shot till I was back on target then let it out until I felt the reset and then pull for the second shot and so on. My groups tightened considerably, my speed increased, and no longer was I having my nagging problem of shooting low left.

I am not questioning that this technique can help you avoid shooting low left. At the range, you are training yourself to hold the trigger back on each shot, reacquire target, release trigger just enough for the reset and then pull the trigger.

I wonder if this technique is appropriate for SHTF situations. My understanding in SHTF situations is you will experience a decrease in dexterity or fine motor skills due to flight or fight reaction. Thus, the gun may not be back on target when you attempt to perform all the steps.

I am no expert either. I just was thinking about this technique and wondering the consequences in SHTF scenarios with this type of training.

Edited by threeshot
Guest Todd@CIS
While i am admittedly no gun expert/tactician/professional I do like to shoot and learn more all the time. I had the benefit of John Wall casually showing me some shooting tips the other day, that at the time I though was no big deal. Went to the range and tried out the technique and WOW, what a difference. I'm sure some of you already knew the tip, but i didn't.

John advised me to hold the trigger down after the first shot till I was back on target then let it out until I felt the reset and then pull for the second shot and so on. My groups tightened considerably, my speed increased, and no longer was I having my nagging problem of shooting low left.

Now that you're more aware of the benefits of the Trigger Reset technique, I'm curious if you'll start to gravitate towards guns with a short and positive trigger reset (Glock, 1911, M&P, etc.).

Guest Todd@CIS
I am not questioning that this technique can help you avoid shooting low left. At the range, you are training yourself to hold the trigger back on each shot, reacquire target, release trigger just enough for the reset and then pull the trigger.

I wonder if this technique is appropriate for SHTF situations. My understanding in SHTF situations is you will experience a decrease in dexterity or fine motor skills due to flight or fight reaction. Thus, the gun may not be back on target when you attempt to perform all the steps.

I am no expert either. I just was thinking about this technique and wondering the consequences in SHTF scenarios with this type of training.

It is.

There are many things you do to fire a handgun under stress that are unnatural and have to be learned. As you progress, these many things become natural to the point that that's the only way you'll ever shoot.

Trigger Reset is not a "little thing." IMO, it is a very important key to shooting fast AND accurate. To address your first paragraph, once mastered, Trigger Reset actually occurs during recoil...that's when one's speed dramatically increases.

It really comes down to economy of motion and the "smooth is fast" theory. Cutting out any unneccessary movements will make you more efficient...whether we're talking trigger management, drawstroke, etc.

Regards

Edited by Todd@CIS
Now that you're more aware of the benefits of the Trigger Reset technique, I'm curious if you'll start to gravitate towards guns with a short and positive trigger reset (Glock, 1911, M&P, etc.).

well, being that I am using a G19 (my second), and have had all the others I would say yes.:shrug:

It is.

There are many things you do to fire a handgun under stress that are unnatural and have to be learned. As you progress, these many things become natural to the point that that's the only way you'll ever shoot.

Trigger Reset is not a "little thing." IMO, it is a very important key to shooting fast AND accurate. To address your first paragraph, once mastered, Trigger Reset actually occurs during recoil...that's when one's speed dramatically increases.

It really comes down to economy of motion and the "smooth is fast" theory. Cutting out any unneccessary movements will make you more efficient...whether we're talking trigger management, drawstroke, etc.

Regards

It was unnatural at first and took a few minutes to get the hang of, but it definitely speeds things up. So much so i had to concentrate at times on slowing down.

Guest mustangdave

Was going to say...the more you "train" at something the better you will get. They do this in the military all the time...drill drill drill...until it becomes automatic. For us old navy salts...REFRESHER TRAINING at GITMO:tough:

Guest shadow12

No matter what technique you are trying to perfect, start it slow, and then speed it up as you get better. If you do something several hundred times the right way, even slow, when you need it, SHTF, it will happen at real speed. Your muscles don't remember speed, just what they do.

Trigger reset was something I learned a few years ago and am still amazed it's not more commonly taught in beginner courses. Once I got used to the reset on my Kimber my accuracy improved and I got faster at follow-up shots.

Trigger reset on a finely tuned 1911 is a sexual experience. :)

It's custom made for SHTF, if the shooter practices it enough. Learn a technique, practice it a million times and it becomes instinct. Instinct is what will happen when there's no time to think. I've been shooting IDPA for two years, and have to concentrate to NOT shoot from reset.

Guest earthworm

"There are no 'advanced' techniques;only the basics learned very well".

(I think that's the qoute:please correct me).

Amen to the title of this thread:it is indeed the little things(grip,trigger control,ect) that make or break us.

• 2 weeks later...

In my humble and unsolicited opinion, Trigger Reset and Follow Through are 2 of the most important foundation skills to learn.

It's very easy for us to ingrain inappropriate actions into our training, our development of shooting skills. Competent, Professional Training is money well spent and can save a relatively new shooter a lot of time, energy, and frustration.

I've been fortunate to train with some quality instructors. Andy Stanford's Surgical Speed Shooting Class benefited me more than I initially realized.

We spent a great deal of time on Trigger Reset and Follow Through...the improvement of the majority of the shooters between Day 1 and Day 2 was remarkable.

Once ingrained, it's essentially a subconscious action...much like braking your auto when you catch something peripheral coming into your lane.

For the cost of a new gun (and don't we like our new gadgets? :rock:) or even a thousand lot of ammo, we can get the professional training we need and improve of abilities dramatically.

Todd has it dead on, imho, and sounds like someone I'd enjoy training with.

I have no financial interest in any of the professional trainers around. I don't intend to hijack this thread. But sound basics, properly learned, will carry the day.

Again, just an opinion.

Regards,

Prag

Guest Pachanga22

I just did a defensive marksmanship course this weekend and trigger reset is the first thing we talked about and practiced. I too was amazed at how much tighter my groups were and the recovery time was cut way down. Now I just have to practice and get it to be second nature.

Scott