Springfield Armory trots out the new Hellcat Pro OSP handgun

TGO David

• Administrator

Source:  Hellcat® Pro OSP™ 9mm Handgun - Springfield Armory (springfield-armory.com)

HCP9379BOSP_R-WASP.jpg

Basically, Springfield is giving us a Hellcat that takes the 15-round magazine without the need for a grip-extension on the mag, a slightly longer slide, and more beef in the right places.

It's got the capacity of a Glock 19 with the width of a Hellcat and is optics-ready right out of the gate.  It seems to have the same optics footprint as the regular Hellcat OSP, meaning it natively takes the HEX Wasp, JP Enterprises JPoint and Shield RMSc optics.

If I am correct about the optics footprint, it also works with the Holosun 507K adapter plate that CHPWS makes.  That adapter plate is very thin and just negates the fact that the Holosun 507K doesn't have holes for the rear recoil lugs on the Hellcat.  Easy peasy.

Reviews that I've seen for the new Hellcat Pro make it look really promising.  I could probably be swayed to spend some cash on one, myself.

Here's the best review that I've seen yet.

• Like 3

Of course, a month after I buy my Hellcat....

Thanks for mentioning that adapter plate. I didn't know that was an option. @Chucktshoes was trying to get me to do some slight modifications to my slide. My nickname on the Tundra forum is The Mangler so I've been reluctant to try it. 🙂

IMG_20220129_150538302.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

Thanks for mentioning that adapter plate. I didn't know that was an option. @Chucktshoes was trying to get me to do some slight modifications to my slide. My nickname on the Tundra forum is The Mangler so I've been reluctant to try it. 🙂

That's my kind of luck, too.  Maybe it's true what they say, though?  Two is one, and one is none.  🙂

I stumbled across the CHPWS plate while educating myself on which optics the OSP takes.  It looks like a good option.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Having a modification performed by a qualified smith is not the same as doing it yourself. 😂😂

• Haha 1

I wish Springfield would crank out more Vickers Master Classes rather than a new model every month.Speaking of Springfield I was able to fondle a SA 35 today.It had a nice matte finish and the slide to frame fit was good. I wasn’t impressed with the thumb safety.You could push it on and off with no resistance at all.On Leatham’s FB page he said Springfield was caught off guard with the popularity of the SA 35 and they are cranking them out as fast as possible.

On 3/4/2022 at 5:39 PM, Erik88 said:

Don't feel bad, buddy. I had bought a Sig 365XL and was feeling pretty good about it...until this appeared. lol.

• Administrator

The dimensions of this Hellcat PRO are very close to that of a Glock 19.  The grip is 1/4" thinner which will help some folks who feel that the G19 is too big and chunky, but the slide on each is quoted as being 1" thick.

To me, this sounds more like an option for those who don't want a Glock, more than it sounds like an option for someone who wants the lithe form-factor of the P365 or P365XL.  It seems that those two would still feel and carry smaller than this Hellcat will.

Just my guess.

On 3/4/2022 at 6:04 PM, TGO David said:

Source:  Hellcat® Pro OSP™ 9mm Handgun - Springfield Armory (springfield-armory.com)

HCP9379BOSP_R-WASP.jpg

Basically, Springfield is giving us a Hellcat that takes the 15-round magazine without the need for a grip-extension on the mag, a slightly longer slide, and more beef in the right places.

It's got the capacity of a Glock 19 with the width of a Hellcat and is optics-ready right out of the gate.  It seems to have the same optics footprint as the regular Hellcat OSP, meaning it natively takes the HEX Wasp, JP Enterprises JPoint and Shield RMSc optics.

If I am correct about the optics footprint, it also works with the Holosun 507K adapter plate that CHPWS makes.  That adapter plate is very thin and just negates the fact that the Holosun 507K doesn't have holes for the rear recoil lugs on the Hellcat.  Easy peasy.

Reviews that I've seen for the new Hellcat Pro make it look really promising.  I could probably be swayed to spend some cash on one, myself.

Here's the best review that I've seen yet.

Its easy and relatively cheap to have the rear lugs milled off, fronts need to b e shortened too for the Holosun,. If you choose a good 'smith should not have much if any exposed metal when completed except top of lugs.  On mine I just put some Birchwood Casey on where the lugs had been.  Don't expect rust as the slide is stainless.  If wrong later will have it sanded and ceracoat slide. 

• Like 1