Mass shooting- Philadelphia edition

17 hours ago, deerslayer said:

Agreed on fear. 

Being constantly alert and aware, not so much.  

Not knowing you as well as Daniel apparently 😁 I'll just offer this.

Being constantly alert and aware does take a toll, even if it's not upfront and easy to tell like fear is.  At the minimum, you're engaging a portion of your brain to process threat detection in a deliberate manner, which shuts it off to at least some other things.  It's incremental, but you're denying yourself some measure of relaxation while taking on the stress that comes with vigilance.  That adds up over time.  You also are changing (or have changed) the way your brain maps out a situation, going in with suspicion as the default as it becomes a habit.  That turns any activity into an assessment of danger before you do anything else.  This can even happen on a subconscious level, so you might not fully recognize it all the time.

Now, to be sure, that's the kind of thing that evolution has historically rewarded in matters of survival.  But it doesn't do you any favors in modern life.  I know this because I have the same mental roadblocks.  Anytime I'm out shopping, or at a concert, or even on a drive, my first thought is to see what could be wrong with what I encounter.  It's made things harder to embrace and enjoy, especially in areas with a lot of people.  I don't particularly like that part of myself, I just don't know how to change it at this point in my life.

So, ask yourself whenever you preemptively look for exits to know where they are, or check out someone's hip to see if there is a bulge from a concealed weapon, or even alter your path of movement in response to a group that isn't all about letting you pass by with respectful distance...is this truly healthy in the long term for your mind and body from the mini stress it keeps turned on?

Not trying to psychoanalyze you...just sharing some thoughts for consideration from my experiences.

• Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, btq96r said:

.is this truly healthy in the long term for your mind and body from the mini stress it keeps turned on?

It is better than dropping your guard and things go bad.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Not knowing you as well as Daniel apparently 😁 I'll just offer this.

Being constantly alert and aware does take a toll, even if it's not upfront and easy to tell like fear is.  At the minimum, you're engaging a portion of your brain to process threat detection in a deliberate manner, which shuts it off to at least some other things.  It's incremental, but you're denying yourself some measure of relaxation while taking on the stress that comes with vigilance.  That adds up over time.  You also are changing (or have changed) the way your brain maps out a situation, going in with suspicion as the default as it becomes a habit.  That turns any activity into an assessment of danger before you do anything else.  This can even happen on a subconscious level, so you might not fully recognize it all the time.

Now, to be sure, that's the kind of thing that evolution has historically rewarded in matters of survival.  But it doesn't do you any favors in modern life.  I know this because I have the same mental roadblocks.  Anytime I'm out shopping, or at a concert, or even on a drive, my first thought is to see what could be wrong with what I encounter.  It's made things harder to embrace and enjoy, especially in areas with a lot of people.  I don't particularly like that part of myself, I just don't know how to change it at this point in my life.

So, ask yourself whenever you preemptively look for exits to know where they are, or check out someone's hip to see if there is a bulge from a concealed weapon, or even alter your path of movement in response to a group that isn't all about letting you pass by with respectful distance...is this truly healthy in the long term for your mind and body from the mini stress it keeps turned on?

Not trying to psychoanalyze you...just sharing some thoughts for consideration from my experiences.

All that makes sense, although I’m not convinced a simple awareness-of-your-surroundings mindset is unhealthy in the long term.  Whatever the case, I don’t think having this awareness attitude or being in a prolonged combat environment (as apparently referenced earlier) is a valid comparison to simply being concerned about and aware of what gun laws have become in other states and could eventually become n ours as well.  This is the comparison that I believe Link implied earlier.  A refusal to become complacent does not mean one is afraid and paranoid.  

Edited by deerslayer
16 hours ago, Daniel said:

You've clearly never actually been both for an extended period of time.

Extended period of time is the key here. I’d assume that most on this forum already carry at all times except when sleeping. Walking or driving the property, going to the movies, dinner or the grocery store is not an extended period of time to be on constant alert and sharp. 

My initial comment wasn’t a knock on anyone. I just know personally that constant hyper vigilance is not healthy. I think @btq96r explained it very well. 

11 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

All that makes sense, although I’m not convinced a simple awareness-of-your-surroundings mindset is unhealthy in the long term.  Whatever the case, I don’t think having this awareness attitude or being in a prolonged combat environment (as apparently referenced earlier) is a valid comparison to simply being concerned about and aware of what gun laws have become in other states and could eventually become n ours as well.  This is the comparison that I believe Link implied earlier.  A refusal to become complacent does not mean one is afraid and paranoid.  

I get it, but the worrying and panic about something that hasn’t happened doesn’t benefit anyone. Doesn’t the good book say something about worrying?  

Also, I remind myself that all of these so-called sources of “information” that we get from cable news and content creators are designed to 1. Generate income 2. Keep the masses in a constant state of panic and seeking more “information “ so we will be ready when the bad thing NEVER happens. 

Awareness is good, but you have to try to turn off the switch sometimes. Your heart and brain need a rest. 

Y’all have a good day!

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, Links2k said:

I get it, but the worrying and panic about something that hasn’t happened doesn’t benefit anyone. 

That’s my point - it’s already happened in places in America where many said it would never happen.  People in other states woke up one day and no longer had the freedoms you and I still do.