Thread for those having no interest in Masonry.

Guest 70below

Guest 70below

For those of you that have no interest in Masonry and want something to chat about, how about fly fishing? Anyone on here fly fish? I'm not very good, thinking about getting back into it though. Anyone ever fish the Caney Fork?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fish all the time as long as it isn't freezing. No fly fishing though. Never was any good at it. Can't use bait cast reels either, they always just get tied up. The lakes were up last week and the weather was nice, I spent about a 6 pack fishing one day...man, it was nice to relax. :D

Used to and not very good at it. I think I like just being in the river and being a part of nature in such a peaceful and tranquil way. It is perhaps one of the most "spiritual" things I have done in my life.

Of course I guess I could go stand in a river and not fish, but it just doesn't seem like it would be the same!:D

Guest clownsdd

I used to do a lot of fly fishing for bream in the spring..nothing better.

Now I just don't have time because of my guns, golf and Masonic connections!! LOL:p

I have always wanted to try fly fishing, it looks like it is sort of an art and could be very good for the soul.

When I lived in Florida one of our neighbors was from Quebec. He was only around during winter months. He saw me coming home one day with my bait casting rig. I used to bass fish the canal and ponds in the complex. He told me he was a fly fisherman back at home but had always wanted to try to bait cast and go for bass like I was doing. We made a deal that he would teach me fly fishing and I would teach him bass fishing. Sadly though it never came together. he went back to Canada for summer, we moved to TN. Never saw him after that. And I have pretty much not fished at all since we moved here.

Bass fishing in the Everglades is the one thing I really miss about living in Boca. I spent every Monday for about 4 years on a boat out there with a friend. Monster Bass were the order of the day, that and big ass alligators.

Edited by Mike.357
Guest bkelm18

I read on some random website that fly fishers are devil worshippers and practice huge satanic orgies. Its on the internet so it must be true. :D

OT: I have fly fished a couple times before. Never caught anything but it was fun.

Guest tnmale46

:D:D

I read on some random website that fly fishers are devil worshippers and practice huge satanic orgies. Its on the internet so it must be true. :)

OT: I have fly fished a couple times before. Never caught anything but it was fun.

Guest 70below

Well Mike, we'll have to hit the water some time. You can teach me to bass fish, I can teach you how to be a sh*tty fly fisher :D

As far as the customs and rituals us fly fisherman perform, you'll have to join if you'd like to know.

I have always wanted to try fly fishing, it looks like it is sort of an art and could be very good for the soul.

When I lived in Florida one of our neighbors was from Quebec. He was only around during winter months. He saw me coming home one day with my bait casting rig. I used to bass fish the canal and ponds in the complex. He told me he was a fly fisherman back at home but had always wanted to try to bait cast and go for bass like I was doing. We made a deal that he would teach me fly fishing and I would teach him bass fishing. Sadly though it never came together. he went back to Canada for summer, we moved to TN. Never saw him after that. And I have pretty much not fished at all since we moved here.

Bass fishing in the Everglades is the one thing I really miss about living in Boca. I spent every Monday for about 4 years on a boat out there with a friend. Monster Bass were the order of the day, that and big ass alligators.

Wow, small world. I lived in Boca Raton for a little over a year. My grandmother lived there and was having serious illness issues back in 76. We moved down there to be with her and I spent a year learning how to live Floridian. I am glad we moved back a year later.

We lived out Glades Road in the University Park area.

I pulled a Google Maps of that area a few weeks ago. Where we lived was almost the end of "civilization" when we were there. 441 was about 5 miles past us and there was nothing there but palmetto, swamp and as you said, a gator or two. Looking at the pics now, I would be living in arm pit to arm pit subdivisions. I for one am glad I made it out of Florida alive. It was a totally different lifestyle from what I was used to. The fishing was good though. We spent a lot of time at the Boca inlet to the intracoastal and the Deerfield Beach pier.

Guest SUNTZU

My Dad, brother, and I went to an old sand quarry in Florida that was turned into a private fishing resort. Trolling motors only on johnboats. That was some of the best bass fishing I've ever had. Oh, and alligators that are bigger than the boat are disconcerting.

I would be living in arm pit to arm pit subdivisions

I can't even imagine how bad it is now. I have been gone over 7 years now. When we first moved there was very little west of 441. when we moved out in 02 there was a lot of growth to the west. We had a rat problem for a while when they built on the other side of 441 from us. They tore down the woods, drained the swamp and the rats headed out way across the street.

I preferred summer time there as opposed to snow bird season. I do not miss hurricane season, hardly even pay attention to it anymore.

I have fished off the Deerfield Pier many times but definitely preferred fishing in the glades. Almost got stranded out there once. My friend Mel owned the boat but had no vehicle to pull it. So that is how I became his fishing partner. One time he neglected to put the plug in. We boated for about an hour out into the middle of nowhere and settled in a spot to fish. After a few minutes I noticed my feet were wet. I looked down and by then it was over my ankles, I yelled to Mel to get the boat moving or we would sink. By then it was near up to my knees and about to wash over the back of the boat, I went to my knees and stuck my finger in the plug hole just in time. He got the boat moving and I pulled my finger out. the water started draining out as we moved. I did not mind so much except he soaked my damn lunch but good. We got the boat drained, found the plug and inserted it. Kept on fishing. It was a semi-scary experience.

I have not been there since my son got married about 4 years ago. Dunno if I will ever go back.

Guest dotsun
I can't even imagine how bad it is now. I have been gone over 7 years now. When we first moved there was very little west of 441. when we moved out in 02 there was a lot of growth to the west. We had a rat problem for a while when they built on the other side of 441 from us. They tore down the woods, drained the swamp and the rats headed out way across the street.

I preferred summer time there as opposed to snow bird season. I do not miss hurricane season, hardly even pay attention to it anymore.

I have fished off the Deerfield Pier many times but definitely preferred fishing in the glades. Almost got stranded out there once. My friend Mel owned the boat but had no vehicle to pull it. So that is how I became his fishing partner. One time he neglected to put the plug in. We boated for about an hour out into the middle of nowhere and settled in a spot to fish. After a few minutes I noticed my feet were wet. I looked down and by then it was over my ankles, I yelled to Mel to get the boat moving or we would sink. By then it was near up to my knees and about to wash over the back of the boat, I went to my knees and stuck my finger in the plug hole just in time. He got the boat moving and I pulled my finger out. the water started draining out as we moved. I did not mind so much except he soaked my damn lunch but good. We got the boat drained, found the plug and inserted it. Kept on fishing. It was a semi-scary experience.

I have not been there since my son got married about 4 years ago. Dunno if I will ever go back.

That's pretty funny, Mike. It sounds like you're what Fargo needs right now to plug those dyke chicks they're having so many problems with.

Guest bigsack

i have dabbled in fly fishing some. i have the basic gear and all. but i cant fly cast for nothing. i have been wanting to head up to caney fork sometime but im not familiar with the area and don't know where to go.

maybe we should get a tgo fishing trip up one weekend?

i was actually bass fishing off the bank sunday on the TN river and had my waders on and ran into an gun related quandry. im fairly new to carry and i carry my sig IWB normally. but with the vest, waders, and wading belt, what should i do with my weapon? its not easily accessible as is, but id rather not just put it in the vest, and if i take a dip i don't want it getting wet. what do yall think?

I've fly fished since I was a kid, mostly in lakes for bluegill and bass, though I haven't in some time now. Pretty much gave up on trout fishing early on, just never could catch enough fish of any size...mostly felt like I might as well be casting into the back of the hatchery truck.

I've also caught some sizable fish in the Keys on fly tackle, mostly tarpon and snook, since they wear themselves halfway or more in the air.

You don't need very expensive rod/reel to flyfish in TN lakes....you also don't have to be super skilled, especially for bream. Top water in late spring into mid summer is a blast, especially when you find the 'gills bedding, using small poppers, spiders, and similar. You can also slay 'em with small wet flies/streamers from early spring all the way through fall.

- OS

Guest 70below

I learned to flyfish on a $20 Martin combo pack. I got to the point where I was getting pretty good at it then didn't flyfish for along time. Here a few years back my Uncle has some connections and got me a REALLY nice Scott rod, I've had it out once and did pretty poorly and was worried about something happening to it. Going from a $20 rod to a $400 rod is hard to do....lol. I'm sure to the trained eye, I looked like I was beating carpets.