Favorite & Least Favorite Gun Shops in Middle Tn.

Guest hickok

Gun City: A dump. Is that old cowboy still hanging around there with his cross draw SAA revolver?

Specialty Arms: A dump. No inventory. I was actually in the process of buying a gun there when the douchebag behind the counter decides to belittle me to amuse his douchebag buddies. See ya!

Franklin Gun Shop: Has the luxury of selling to people who would rather pay the price than drive out of Franklin. Great inventory. I've spent money there, they know me, so maybe I don't get the "guy off the street" treatment.

Guns & Leather: My only complaint about this place is that no one ever goes there, it's too crowded! Seriously, I've been in line there before the joint even opened. Good for them. Best selection of in the display 1911s in Middle Tennessee that I've seen.

Uselton's: Small inventory, great range. Wanna laugh? Ask Rick who is building his $3000 "Uselton" 1911s and what parts they are using. I guarantee you will howl laughing at any of the five answers I've heard to this question posed by myself and others since they opened.

Outpost: Love it. Someone sat down and thought, "A guy walks in with $1,500. How do we get it all?" Seriously, these people have exactly the right stuff: the right guns, the ammo, the belts, the holsters, the aftermarket parts, everything. I've found stuff in there I wouldn't have thought anyone would have on the shelf (Matrix holster for PM9, for example).

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Favorite: Guns and Leather. It's a bit of a drive, but I haven't found a place that matches the service and decent pricing. You're never ignored and the range is pretty good. A couple of target motors have been broken my last few visits, but I'm sure they'll fix that soon enough.

Least Favorites: Franklin Gun Shop. Too expensive and the salesmen have rubbed me the wrong way several times.

Uselton's- Sky high prices and ridiculous range fees. Owner talks a lot and tried to hustle me into a "Bronze Shooting Package" which, along with an extremely high up front fee, would have still required me to pay 15 dollars in range fees every visit. Their ammo only? Say what?

On-Target: Weak selection and prices. It seems like every time I go to the range, some turd is shooting a MP5 full auto right next to me with the dirtiest ammo known to man, and I end up with that lovely sickly sweet lead taste on the back of my throat for the next day or two.

Guest ScottD
has anybody had a good experiance at the gun store in lavergne, i think its called specialty arms? i dont know if i was there on a bad day or what but the big guy behind the counter was a complete *******. there was 3 people in the storejust walking around and it still took quite a while to get him to help me. i wanted to look at an XD45 and he kept saying that thats not what i should get and kept bringing up other guns. after asking him several times he finally got it out and handed it to me but still saying i should buy something else.

i liked the way it fit my hand and went to the saddle shop on 96 and had him order one for me. i would rather wait a couple weeks than give someonr my money that treated me like i didnt know what i wanted. this was a little over a year ago, mabey they are better now but they will not get any money from me.

guns and leather is where i took my class for my permit a couple years ago and have nothing bad at all to say about them. i wished they were closer.

gun city on mborro rd has been a hit or miss store also

i might have to go check out this hero place i keep reading about.

I buy most my stuff from Specialty as they are just around the corner, and I'm friends with a couple of the guys. If you chat them up a little bit, they are usually more than happy to help you out with what you want. As a bonus they also have lay-a-way. 20% and no extra fees if picked up in 30 days.

If you go back, see if the asian guy is working. His name is Daniel, and he's an old friend of mine. Tell him Scott sent ya. You can do the same for the neo-nazi looking guy, that's Collin. Also a good guy to deal with.

I had a tough time with this one, I used to favor G&L. It was a great shop good inventory nice people. Its changed. Unless I can deal with Ben I wont deal with anyone there. Seems that the rest have developed that gunshop elitist attitude. The prices have steadily jumped up and they lowball the hell out of a trade in now. I really love Hero Gear, no arrogant holes just good guys selling guns. I wish they were closer. Bellshire is great to order but nothing there to look at. The worst gunshop IMHO is gun city, followed by Franklin, and then reloaders bench, the last due to unrealistic pricing.

I had a tough time with this one, I used to favor G&L. It was a great shop good inventory nice people. Its changed. Unless I can deal with Ben I wont deal with anyone there. Seems that the rest have developed that gunshop elitist attitude. The prices have steadily jumped up and they lowball the hell out of a trade in now. I really love Hero Gear, no arrogant holes just good guys selling guns. I wish they were closer. Bellshire is great to order but nothing there to look at. The worst gunshop IMHO is gun city, followed by Franklin, and then reloaders bench, the last due to unrealistic pricing.

There was a brief period when G&L was charging 16.99 for 9mm and 30 dollars for a box of Magtech .45 target loads, but that passed rapidly. Their prices for used firearms have also dropped off. I think they experimented with the higher gun craze prices and then decided it wasn't working out.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest jwb68

Mike Patterson

The Saddle Shop in Triune

I bought a g19 from him and do all my transfers through him. Friendly honest and good people. He also does custom leather work. If I were not a plastic holster guy he would be my goto guy for that as well.

Franklin Gun Shop just takes themselves way to serious. Plus the g19 was like 85.00 more expensive there and that was BEFORE tax.

Another plus for G&L here. I bought my last gun (XD 40) there. Though they have outgrown their store as pointed out, the folks there are always polite (I'll pay an extra $20 for that) and they have a decent inventory for the size of store they have. I also like Franklin Gun Shop, though the guys there sometimes assume you know more than you do. I don't know the specs of every gun model out there, so that can be a little off putting. Good inventory though.

Best - Guns and leather are great bought several guns from them and always left happy....very good customer service and know what they are talking about.

Worst. the ASP at exit 35 off of I-24. they let me buy a gun and then as i was leaving mentioned the gun was recalled. That was in february....still don't have the gun.....crazy i know.

Guest NeuralFizz

I haven't been to many in the area, but the

BEST: Franklin Gun Shop or Outpost

Worst: On Target

I really can't believe how rude and how inconsiderate the people behind the counter there are. It's like when I go in they get pissed that someone wants to spend money. Luckily for them I'm not going back. I tried going in today to show my friend some guns, actually, and they were complete jerks the entire time. The girl behind the counter just kept saying "Well, I prefer Glocks to anything else." and rolling her eyes when he wanted to look at their revolvers.

Guest HexHead

Worst. the ASP at exit 35 off of I-24. they let me buy a gun and then as i was leaving mentioned the gun was recalled. That was in february....still don't have the gun.....crazy i know.

I think we have a winner here. :P

Guest Moody

Guns and Leather for one of my favorites - pleasure to do business, alot to see, and good pricing! Also, Outpost Armory - excellent shop, knowledgeable staff, and plenty to see as well.

Least favorite - thank goodness I haven't had to experience this yet...

Outpost Armory (Christiana, TN): Candy store for gun guys! Lots of goodies and good service. Even have good food, stay for lunch.

Antlers and Feathers (Lafayette, TN): Small shop but keeps a really nice inventory of handguns and Long Guns. Lots of primo trade in long guns at very nice prices. Full service Archery shop too, restringing and arrow building on site. Staff are just good old country boys and will make you feel right at home.

My favorite is Hero. Their service and selection is unmatched.

My least favorite is Franklin Gun Shop. Selection in very good, but I find them a bit pushy and overpriced. Years ago, I purchased on their recommendation a Charles Daley Stainless Empire grade 1911. A couple of years later, I tried to trade on a Glock 34. Same guy told me that the Daly was junk. I have not been back.

Mike Patterson

The Saddle Shop in Triune

...do all my transfers through him. Friendly honest and good people. He also does custom leather work.

My favorite as well. All too often he has something new-to-me in the rack or cabinet which causes some of my money to change hands.

I need to check out...

"Outpost Armory (Christiana, TN): Candy store for gun guys! Lots of goodies and good service. Even have good food, stay for lunch."

as it is just up the road from me.

Gun City -- I've done business with them off and on for over forty years; I think they are trying to come back from a low point, hope they make it in a now run-down neighborhood.

• 2 weeks later...
favorite is HERO-GEAR in winchester, amazing invetory, best customer serice you can ask for and they can do just about anything firearms related and if they cant they will tell you the best place to ge it done. and to top it off i heard they are expanding soon, to cover even more bases.

least favorite is Executive Protection bureau in tullahoma. extremely low inventory, and they act like you are a nuisance to them to be there unless you are a cop. very poor customer service and severely lacking in the inventory and their prices are higher than anyone around here.

Dittos. I wish I had known about Hero Gear before paying at least $75 too much at Executive Protection Bureau for my last handgun purchase.

Kudos for Hero Gear!

• 2 months later...

Didn't want to bump this thread without giving some input, so here's mine:

Best

Hero Gear - Winchester

Joe and Jeff are super-knowledgeable, generous, and always willing to give a hand in a decision-making process about a firearm. HG's inventory is outstanding, and their ability to help the customer (from seasoned to green) is great as well. Overall an A+ shop.

Guns and Leather - Greenbrier

Awesome shop. Great selection, great pricing, great service. I've bought from them before, and will continue to purchase. They do get busy, so one may have to wait for a few minutes while other customers are being taken care of - BUT! no one is ever forgotten, or left to stand too long. Great shop - another A+ in sales/service.

Outpost Armory - Christiana

Great staff (always fun to stop in and talk), good family-feeling atmosphere, and quality firearm sales. Competetive pricing (if you ask), and ammo sales. Lots of ammo. A great shop, and one that I will always support.

Worst

On Target

(you knew that it was coming... ha ha) Problems that I have with this shop include the following: arrogance, know-it-all BS, and overall (lack) of service. Asking to view a firearm is such that the person behind the counter almost has an aneurysm, and even beginning to ask for any technical information about a particular gun in question is just hilarious. The last time that I was there (using the range), the folks behind the counter (stupid kids, and I say kids, because they were acting that way) made it a point to act like I was asking the world, when I inquired about a couple of different 1911s) were just not up to the task of helping me. What's funny is that there was a "new" shooter in the lane next to me, and when I say "new", I mean - he was trying to load the magazine of a rental 1911 in BACKWARDS, and then couldn't even engage the safety of the firearm, and forgot to point it down lane upon actually getting it loaded and chambered. Scary. Really scary. I asked this gentleman if he was given any kind of instruction prior to entering the range, and he said, "No, they just give me the gun, and told me that the lanes are this way..." The gun in question - a Nighthawk (unsure of model) :rofl: When he finished, the slide was marred up (from him wearing a ring), and the left grip had a nice gash on it fro him slamming it down on the table when he finished a magazine. Way to go, guys, for not educating a customer on proper firearm handling/safety, and then allowing them to take a $3000.00 gun into the range and bang it up, based on his lack experience in the first place...

Really? I'm surprised, because when Tyler and I stopped in to shoot (in Sept), it was everything that I could do to even get their attention. "Hey, we want to give you guys some money. You don't have to help us, but at least stand there and ring us up so that we can go shoot." :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GunTroll

Favorite as of now......

Guns and leather! Friendly, not pushy (which is a plus) I hate being educated when I didn't ask and G&L hasn't done that to me. I also like their Gunsmith and leather guy. Jeff went to the same school for gunsmithing that I did and has always been willing to talk and help me with issues.

Least......

TN gun country. Not friendly to me. I didn't go there to buy, just look at get a feel for the store. They passed the vibe of knowing to much about nothing without knowing what I may or may not know. I know the ties between G&L and TN gun country. I think they should go to G&L and check out how they conduct business!

Second Amendment......they had like ten guns in stock and this is a store????? Thats a joke! Also I was inquiring about employment as a gunsmith and I was told..."TN is more of a handgun state. not so much on the rifles (which I specialize in). People just aren't that into rifles here" WTF!! Haven't been back. I don't like being told nonsense. Also they guy was too busy smoking his cigarette and being on his computer to deal with me. I hate being exposed to second hand smoke. I know its his shop and his right but that just screams unprofessional to me.

Other stores I have no opinion on for I'm relatively new here. These are the ones closest to me.

I have pretty limited experience with local shops, but I have a Saiga on the way to Mike at the Saddle Shop. He has responded VERY well to requests for FFL copies. I'm definitely locked in wih him on transfers. I just bought an AK from Specialty Arms. Daniel and Collin were there and very helpful.