Where do I start to learn ham?

Instead of resurrecting some of the older radio threads, I figured I’d ask here. I know there’s some hams on here. I need to know where to get started. I need real beginner level information. I mean ground level, white belt, pre-school, Forrest Gump, don’t know jack doodley beginner level. 
I’ve gone ahead and bought a couple cheap radios to get started with after I study up and get licensed. 
Right now though, I admittedly don’t even know where to get started with the learning. 

I'd take a look on arrl.org and see if there is a local club. They can be very helpful - since you can sit down and talk to people. 

arrl.org also provides practice tests, when you are ready. I'd suggest getting a decent study guide and get ready for the Technical exam. Personally, I've had good luck with the ARRL books: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1625951558/?coliid=I3G0DKEKQYU5P2&colid=ZYN195036XL5&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it. But there are tons out there. Someone in a local club may have one they can loan you. 

I've been a Tech since the early 90s. Upgraded to a General earlier this year. I just need to upgrade my rig so I can get on HF.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

I am an Amateur Extra.

This guy has a great YouTube channel. He does full training classes for all 3 license levels.  He is very good explaining everything. Most just have you memorize information to pass the test. You will learn watching his classes. 

Finding a local club to join is definitely a must. 

https://w4eey.com/index.html

Websites for practicing for exams. 

hamradioprep.com

hamstudy.org

Edited by TripleGGG
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, TripleGGG said:

I am an Amateur Extra.

This guy has a great YouTube channel. He does full training classes for all 3 license levels.  He is very good explaining everything. Most just have you memorize information to pass the test. You will learn watching his classes. 

Finding a local club to join is definitely a must. 

https://w4eey.com/index.html

Websites for practicing for exams. 

hamradioprep.com

hamstudy.org

Thank you for that resource. I don’t know why he never popped up on all the searches I did. I just started on his first video. This looks like what I need. 

• Like 1
  • Moderators
18 hours ago, res308 said:

Thank you for that resource. I don’t know why he never popped up on all the searches I did. I just started on his first video. This looks like what I need. 

Glad you like it and have already started. Enjoy. 

On 6/28/2023 at 4:51 PM, Sleep profit said:

My local church have classes in Ham radio and prepping. Maybe some in your area do that 

Sounds like you have some good churches in your area. I wish there were some around here like that. 

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...
On 7/2/2023 at 7:59 PM, Photoguy67 said:

If there are several people in the Nashville area that would like to get together most weekends, I would be more than glad to help you with a class. I am a general class operator.

This would be fun

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, spdfrk70 said:

Thank you sir appreciate that information

I’ve wanted to do ham radio most of my adult life, but never took the time to learn it.  In the beginning I was afraid of code, but then when that requirement went away, I was just too busy.  I had to retire due to time off for prostrate cancer treatment and an uncooperative employer, so provided this treatment works I will be taking some classes or self study and get my license.  I just wish I had bought a couple good radios before I retired and the money got short.

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, Defender said:

I just wish I had bought a couple good radios before I retired

You can find real bargains if you look around at Ham swap meets, eBay, etc. My first rig was a Heathkit that I built, but that really wasn't inexpensive. An older radio can provide a lot of hours of entertainment, you don't need the super-whiz-bang stuff to make contacts. I think my HF radio is about 20 years old now, and I bought it new. I expect it will keep working until I die.

• Like 3
  • Moderators
2 minutes ago, Darrell said:

You can find real bargains if you look around at Ham swap meets, eBay, etc. My first rig was a Heathkit that I built, but that really wasn't inexpensive. An older radio can provide a lot of hours of entertainment, you don't need the super-whiz-bang stuff to make contacts. I think my HF radio is about 20 years old now, and I bought it new. I expect it will keep working until I die.

Agreed. There are a lot of great inexpensive radios out there.