Termites

Got a pest control guy coming this morning. Been 15 years since we treated our home. When he treated it last time, he told me the chemicals last about 15 years and then we need to get it retreated again. On that gravel road this morning. Think he charged me about 1,100.00 last time and 300. to install a vapor barrier. Guess it will be more today. 

My sister-in-law lost her husband 12 years ago and has neglected her house. Her son found her house is full of termites and going to cost a bunch to repair the damage they have done on her property. They are talking 40,000. to replace her damage. Her house is in Alabama and on a concrete slab. 

• Wow 1
34 minutes ago, pop pop said:

Got a pest control guy coming this morning. Been 15 years since we treated our home. When he treated it last time, he told me the chemicals last about 15 years and then we need to get it retreated again. On that gravel road this morning. Think he charged me about 1,100.00 last time and 300. to install a vapor barrier. Guess it will be more today. 

My sister-in-law lost her husband 12 years ago and has neglected her house. Her son found her house is full of termites and going to cost a bunch to repair the damage they have done on her property. They are talking 40,000. to replace her damage. Her house is in Alabama and on a concrete slab. 

Blankenship and sons out of KY. Have been the very best for our needs. They are extremely reasonable and will travel.

I contacted the local Murfreesboro guy (Keith's Pest Control) that sprayed the house 15 years ago. He did an inspection and said he seen no evidence of termites anywhere under the house. He just left and said he would treat the house and spray for ants for 1,230.00. I showed him where ants were eating my hummingbird nectar. Our house is 100 ft by 34 ft with a large 1 car garage and large front porch. I feel that is a great price for the work rendered. He will treat it within the nest 2 weeks and spray again for ants. No carpenter ants this time. 

• Like 1

They just finished treating our home for Termites. House is 100' X 34' with a 18'X 20' front porch. They also treated for two colonies of regular ants, and one of fire ants. Cost me 1227.00 total. He said the chemicals they used (Kermidor) were better than they have been in the past. Said they been using this for about 8 years now and have had no reinfestations at all. For several years they could not get good chemicals however that has improved. They checked every inch of my foundation and support piers, and said they seen no signs of termites. 

we were satisfied. 

On 7/27/2023 at 10:19 AM, Patriotsson said:

Blankenship and sons out of KY. Have been the very best for our needs. They are extremely reasonable and will travel.

LOL! I think Jenner Blankenship, who started this company, was my grandma’s cousin.

• Like 1
On 8/2/2023 at 12:39 PM, pop pop said:

They just finished treating our home for Termites. House is 100' X 34' with a 18'X 20' front porch. They also treated for two colonies of regular ants, and one of fire ants. Cost me 1227.00 total. He said the chemicals they used (Kermidor) were better than they have been in the past. Said they been using this for about 8 years now and have had no reinfestations at all. For several years they could not get good chemicals however that has improved. They checked every inch of my foundation and support piers, and said they seen no signs of termites. 

we were satisfied. 

kermidor? I have used thermidor but never heard of kermidor

The liquor is called Termidor. They drill holes into the ground along the entire perimeter of your house and inject it into the ground. If you have concrete they will drill small holes, inject the chemicals, then patch the hole back. That's what my house had done by the previous owner in ~2015 and so I'm due for reapplication soon. When I got a quote in 2021 it was going to be $775 plus a $95 annual guarantee. 

Bait stations are cheaper but more questionable in their effectiveness. 

https://stampedepestcontrol.com/how-long-does-a-termidor-treatment-last/

Edited by Erik88
Spelling
On 8/2/2023 at 11:41 PM, MacGyver said:

Seems like an honest guy who shows up on time could make a good living doing pest control. 

And possibly die a horrible cancer death? 

I'd hate to work with those chemicals every day but maybe they have a way of doing it safely. 

I got Tremidor from these guys and followed these steps when I found termites had infested a corner of my garage.  Took care of the colony, cost a fraction of what the pest control guys wanted, and stopped any further damage to the frame around the old garage door.

• Like 2