Firearm use on private property.

Torcher

We have 19 acres in Sneedville, Hancock County and would like to practice on our own land, I can't find any posted rules on the Hancock County web site elated to firearm use on private property.  Does anyone know if this is okay?   The property is 5 miles +/- from town.   Thank you.  

No restrictions. You're still liable for every shot so like gregintenn said, have a good backstop. Be a good neighbor and maybe don't shoot real early or late, but there's almost certainly nothing in the law says you can't. Rural counties almost never have noise ordinances like towns/cities have inside their own limits.

17 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I have to admit I’m really curious why you’d think there would be restrictions on firing a gun on your own property.

I was thinking the same thing. Especially in Sneedville. There isn’t a flat spot in Sneedville that wasn’t made by a very heavy piece of equipment, so a good back drop should be easily found 

• Like 2

It's not hard to find a safe place to shoot here in east Tennessee with all the hills and mountains. I love to shoot on my property. My neighbors aren't really close. Not like where I used to live in the commie state of Jersey. I love Tennessee.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, peejman said:

A big boy air rifle will kill them just fine and isn't a firearm. 

According to the city of Nashville, it may as well be.

"Firearm" means any weapon by whatever name known, which is designed to expel a projectile by the action of expanding gases.

And discharge is banned inside the Urban Services area of the county at all times.

Additionally 

Chapter 11.12 OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC PEACE – Metro Government of Nashville and Davidson County, Tennessee – Code of Ordinances
11.12.080 – Discharging weapons

B. It shall further be unlawful for any person to fire or discharge any air gun or air pistol, spring gun or spring pistol, or other device or firearm which is calculated or intended to propel or project a bullet, pellet, air or similar projectile, whether propelled by spring, compressed air or gases, explosive or other force-producing means, within the urban services district of the metropolitan government.

1 hour ago, monkeylizard said:

"Firearm" means any weapon by whatever name known, which is designed to expel a projectile by the action of expanding gases.

And discharge is banned inside the Urban Services area of the county at all times.

That's why you make sure you live in the general services district of Davidson County if must live in that county. 

On 8/2/2023 at 8:40 PM, monkeylizard said:

On 8/2/2023 at 9:37 PM, Snaveba said:

Additionally 

Chapter 11.12 OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC PEACE – Metro Government of Nashville and Davidson County, Tennessee – Code of Ordinances
11.12.080 – Discharging weapons

B. It shall further be unlawful for any person to fire or discharge any air gun or air pistol, spring gun or spring pistol, or other device or firearm which is calculated or intended to propel or project a bullet, pellet, air or similar projectile, whether propelled by spring, compressed air or gases, explosive or other force-producing means, within the urban services district of the metropolitan government.

Wow.  No BB guns in the back yard in Nashville.  That's pretty crappy.  Though I'd guess (hope) you'd have to find a cop in the middle of a really bad day to get anything more than a lecture about it. 

It only applies in the urban services area of the county. Basically, if the city picks up your trash, then no BB guns, etc. If you pay a 3rd party service to get your trash, fire at will!  🙂

Urban Services vs. General Services was how Nashville has tried to balance the county-wide "metro" government with the fact that some areas were and still are fairly rural, especially in the far west and northwest parts of the county. Up until just a few years ago, there were cows grazing on land next to Opryland along Briley Parkway. For civil society, the council wants different rules where population density is higher. Things like noise ordinances, and shooting guns, for instance need to be different in say downtown vs. a 100 acre farm near Joelton.

6 hours ago, Snaveba said:

I agree. I am not sure when this particular ordnance went into effect, but we ran around with BB guns and pellet rifles in the 80s in Nashville and no one cared. 

Us too. Chased each other around on bicycles. Ever tried to run a pump air rifle while riding a bike? 😄