SA .22 Project Completed

Grayfox54

I picked this poor thing up a couple of months ago. Hy Hunter Frontier Six Shooter in .22LR. According to the internet, these were actually made by J.P. Sauer & Sohn in West Germany and imported during the 1960s under the Hy Hunter name in Hollywood. CA.聽

This poor thing was a mess when I got it. The barrel was loose, the firing pin was about to fall out and there was an occasional hitch in the action. Plus the grips were completely wrong for this gun. I really don't know how they managed to stay on. And on top of all that, the finish was very badly worn. But it seemed to have good bones and I only gave $30 for it.聽馃槈

This is what I started with:

vv5uOa7.jpg

The mechanical issues were fairly easy to fix. I found a set of close grips on the internet, but had to fit them some. The problem was in the finish. As near as I could tell, most of this gun is made of Zamak or a similar alloy. So finish options were limited. I decided to go with Brownell's Alumahyde II. Its a spray on, paint like, finish made specifically for alloy guns. I took the gun completely apart, sanded the parts and sprayed the individual pieces. The instructions said it dries to the touch in 1-2 hours, BUT needs 1-2 weeks to cure completely. Of course I tried to rush it and messed up a piece.聽馃檮聽I re-did that one and then gave the finish the full two weeks to cure completely. Got it all back together and I think it came out pretty good.聽

7JrhyU2.jpg

I took it to the range today. I fired a little over 100 rounds of 7 different types of ammo. It ain't no tack driver, but its minute of tin can with ammo it likes.聽聽Not too shabby for a decrepit old man and those tiny fixed sights.聽馃榿

K3zUJPX.jpg

All told, I have right at $80 in it. I think it was worth it.聽馃槈

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Like 11