Military rules for gunfights...

Hated the beret. We would wear our "red hats" instead. (Rigger). It was always amuseing to be somewhere where people did not know what a rigger was. I still wear my six color chocolate chip desert boonie from Desert Shield/Storm when I mow the yard.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest proudsuthrner

i dont know anything about them barets.. i was in the marine corps infantry and had the eight point covers... good times, good times

Guest Halfpint

Oohrah, brother. I don't mind the 8-point, but I f---ing HATE my kevlar. I understand the thing has a purpose, but a midget like me winds up staring at the ground on a hike while the ILBE pack shoves my head forward.

Thank God we don't wear sissy berets . . . even if the piss cutter and pickle suit looks goofy as hell to me, it's not a beret.

Army policy has always been to make everyone look the same. Way back when, you could tell the teeth from the tail because we wore the BDUs. Even though everyone was issued BDUs, it was the combat arms that actually wore them as a normal duty uniform. And the old Khaki uniforms were a royal Army screw-up! Who would have thought that they would issue a uniform that looked good, let you wear ALL your jingle, and was comfortable?!! Naturally, THAT had to go away!

Seriously, the boys and girls who go play in the dirt with pointy objects and unfriendly strangers should be recognized as such. While I do believe that the REMFs should have their "30days without a misspelled word" awards, higher risks and gains should be allowed to display higher awards.

When I was active duty, it was peacetime, and our point of pride was to wear just ONE weapon qualification badge; Expert Rifle. To us, that showed that you could assume that person was an expert with all the other weapons the Infantry used.

Besides, how long should you allow the Expert badge to get? Rifle, Pistol, Machine Gun, Mortar, 90mm Recoilless, Submachine Gun, Automatic Rifle, Rifle Grenade, M203, and Bayonet made a chain that just looked silly.

I always thought that berets looked silly. Still do. Warriors should wear hats for practicality. The boonie hat is still the most practical hat ever issued. But if a unit wants to wear them, why not? For a while when I was in 1CD, our battalion (1/5Cav) wore black cavalry hats when on parade. That was mostly silly too. But standing at parade rest under that hot Texas sun listening to speech after speech during change of command ceremonies you came to appreciate the fact that you weren't going to die of heatstroke with that hat on!

Army policy has always been to make everyone look the same. Way back when, you could tell the teeth from the tail because we wore the BDUs. Even though everyone was issued BDUs, it was the combat arms that actually wore them as a normal duty uniform. And the old Khaki uniforms were a royal Army screw-up! Who would have thought that they would issue a uniform that looked good, let you wear ALL your jingle, and was comfortable?!! Naturally, THAT had to go away!

Seriously, the boys and girls who go play in the dirt with pointy objects and unfriendly strangers should be recognized as such. While I do believe that the REMFs should have their "30days without a misspelled word" awards, higher risks and gains should be allowed to display higher awards.

When I was active duty, it was peacetime, and our point of pride was to wear just ONE weapon qualification badge; Expert Rifle. To us, that showed that you could assume that person was an expert with all the other weapons the Infantry used.

Besides, how long should you allow the Expert badge to get? Rifle, Pistol, Machine Gun, Mortar, 90mm Recoilless, Submachine Gun, Automatic Rifle, Rifle Grenade, M203, and Bayonet made a chain that just looked silly.

I always thought that berets looked silly. Still do. Warriors should wear hats for practicality. The boonie hat is still the most practical hat ever issued. But if a unit wants to wear them, why not? For a while when I was in 1CD, our battalion (1/5Cav) wore black cavalry hats when on parade. That was mostly silly too. But standing at parade rest under that hot Texas sun listening to speech after speech during change of command ceremonies you came to appreciate the fact that you weren't going to die of heatstroke with that hat on!

Dude, when were you in 1/5?

I was a Black Knight from 93-95!

I cant tell you how many stupid ****ing parades I was in during those two years....

It seems like I was either in the field, or standing in front of Division HQ for a stupid parade....

Don't you all wished you had joined the Marines and never ever ever had or have to deal with stupid French girlie hats :D

And our rules of engagement for OIF started with No better Friend no worse Enemy.

Guest mustangdave
Dont get me started on the whole "everyone is special" movement ;)

Here are a few things that have happened in the past few years, and a few things to come in the coming 12-18 months that should make everyone feel REAL special.

Rangers lose black beret, and are forced to switch to a tan one.

This is done because Gen Eric Shinseki thought that the way to make everyone an elite warrior was to issue them a stupid beret.

We all know this has been a great success :crazy:

Combat Action Badge

Non-Infantry and Non-Special Forces soldiers (The only two jobs that can earn the CIB) cried and complained that they didnt get to wear the Combat INFANTRY Badge when they deployed and were in danger.

The solution? Lets make a badge for every swinging dick to wear if they are even in the same 4 digit grid as someone that was mad or thinking ill thoughts towards them.

Changes that will piss you off even more:

It has already been announced that the Army is going to be dropping the Dress Greens as their Class A uniform, and adopting a version of the Army Dress Blues to be the standard dress uniform.

What does this mean?

1. Soldiers (like myself) assigned to Special Forces, Ranger, or Airborne units will no longer blouse their pants and wear Jump Boots.

2. No more "combat patches" or unit patches.

3. No more Tabs.

* Ranger, SF, Sapper tabs will be worn as metal mini badges on the left pocket.

4. Only E4 and below wear berets. This means NCOs, WOs, and Officers wear the bus driver (service) cap.

What does it really mean? Special Forces, Ranger, and Airborne leaders wont even wear their beret while in Class As.

Anyway, I could go on and on...but the bottomline is;

the Army is finding ways to take the special things earned by warriors away from them, so that the REMF soldiers dont feel inferior.

Joe...I guess I was LUCKY...I retired from the NAVY in 1997...went through at least 3 uniform "changes" during my 20 years...the last one I refused to do...wear a garrison cap (aka as a PISS CUTTER) with our "winter" working blues...aka Johnny Cash's or Gun Slingers. at my last duty assignment, a JOINT Command the "beret" was all the talk and making EVERYONE "Special"...what a crap load...thank you Slick Willy...moron

Dude, when were you in 1/5?

I was a Black Knight from 93-95!

I cant tell you how many stupid ****ing parades I was in during those two years....

It seems like I was either in the field, or standing in front of Division HQ for a stupid parade....

I'm just a bit older, I suspect. I was C 1/5 weapons from '80-81, and got moved over to 1/12 to be a Co XO from late '81-83.

Fun times in the warm TX sun!:crazy:

I'm just a bit older, I suspect. I was C 1/5 weapons from '80-81, and got moved over to 1/12 to be a Co XO from late '81-83.

Fun times in the warm TX sun!:koolaid:

I was at Hood at the same time. NCOIC of the MEDEVAC (Dustoff) unit.:D

Fun times in the warm TX sun!:rofl:

I was at Hood at the same time. NCOIC of the MEDEVAC (Dustoff) unit.:)

You just gotta love Ft. Hood.......:D

NOT! :koolaid: