Online ammo pricing trends

A few months ago I decided to harness my vast power of autism and applied it to heavily tracking the ammo market and it has paid off a lot recently. For instance, last night SGAmmo raised their price on 50BMG ball by 50cpr making the cheapest 50BMG now basically $4/round. It's funny because I had a feeling 50BMG was ready to pop up so I ordered some yesterday, before the price hike. Also managed to snap up some new 308 for 70cpr shipped which sold out in a couple hours. Is anyone else around here as pedantic as I am or is this more of a cash and carry crowd?

I've found that buying online in bulk is the way to go. I typically use Ammoseek, but it's not as easy as just selecting the caliber you want and choosing the first option that pops up. Typically, the best deals are not the cheapest, as the cheapest ones will have inflated shipping costs. I also find Ammoseek a bit more difficult to use when I'm looking for something very specific, such as a certain bullet type or weight. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, jeff43 said:

It’s the sales tax that kills the online prices nowdays, but just have to grin and bear it.

I've created a list of vendors that don't charge sales tax so I'll cross-reference that when searching. There are a surprising amount that don't charge and also have decent prices and lower cost shipping.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, LangdoniousRex said:

I've created a list of vendors that don't charge sales tax so I'll cross-reference that when searching. There are a surprising amount that don't charge and also have decent prices and lower cost shipping.

Thanks

1 hour ago, 10-Ring said:

I've found that buying online in bulk is the way to go. I typically use Ammoseek, but it's not as easy as just selecting the caliber you want and choosing the first option that pops up. Typically, the best deals are not the cheapest, as the cheapest ones will have inflated shipping costs. I also find Ammoseek a bit more difficult to use when I'm looking for something very specific, such as a certain bullet type or weight. 

Ammoseek takes a bit of work to dial in but once you have it's easy. Don't bother with any vendor with a shipping rating less than 6. I tend to focus on 8+ and Free/Conditional Free shipping. Their shipping rating system is quite accurate. The keyword search is surprisingly good so I'll use that over many of the dropdown parameters. 

gun.deals has an ammo section but the search is weak so it takes a bit of effort but they have a lot of vendors that aren't on Ammoseek so it's still a good spot to cross-reference.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, jeff43 said:

Thanks

To save you some time, here's my list of vendors that do not charge sales tax currently. These are subject to change but it's a good start:

American Reloading
Beebe Family Arms
Billet Bob Ammo
Black Butterfly
De Leon RX & Sporting Goods
Glen's Army Navy
Grizzly Cartridge
Gulf Coast Gun
GunZoneDeals
HD Tactical
HuntShootFish
KIR Ammo
Maryland Munitions MMI
Mutiny Machine
Rivertown Munitions
Selway Armory
Skogen's Gun Supply
Steinel Ammo
Stunnoma Sports
Tactical Surplus USA
Top Gun Ammo
Wild Horse Ammunition

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, LangdoniousRex said:

To save you some time, here's my list of vendors that do not charge sales tax currently. These are subject to change but it's a good start:

American Reloading
Beebe Family Arms
Billet Bob Ammo
Black Butterfly
Glen's Army Navy
Grizzly Cartridge
Gulf Coast Gun
GunZoneDeals
HD Tactical
HuntShootFish
KIR Ammo
Maryland Munitions MMI
Mutiny Machine
Rivertown Munitions
Selway Armory
Skogen's Gun Supply
Steinel Ammo
Stunnoma Sports
Tactical Surplus USA
Top Gun Ammo
Wild Horse Ammunition

That’s helpful! So you can attest these are all legit companies?

1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

That’s helpful! So you can attest these are all legit companies?

I've personally ordered from 80% of the listed vendors, some multiple times, which much success. They've all come from Ammoseek or gun.deals so I believe them all to be legit. I left one out as I had a bad experience (got my money back without much effort) and would not recommend (WMTTC). Here are the ones I have not verified:

Billet Bob Ammo

Gulf Coast Gun

HuntShootFish

Mutiny Machine

If you have any questions about the vendors I have experience with, I can provide various feedback on request.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, LangdoniousRex said:

I've personally ordered from 80% of the listed vendors, some multiple times, which much success. They've all come from Ammoseek or gun.deals so I believe them all to be legit. I left one out as I had a bad experience (got my money back without much effort) and would not recommend (WMTTC). Here are the ones I have not verified:

Billet Bob Ammo

Gulf Coast Gun

HuntShootFish

Mutiny Machine

If you have any questions about the vendors I have experience with, I can provide various feedback on request.

Good enough for me! Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2024 at 3:33 PM, LangdoniousRex said:

American Reloading
Beebe Family Arms
Billet Bob Ammo
Black Butterfly
Glen's Army Navy
Grizzly Cartridge
Gulf Coast Gun
GunZoneDeals
HD Tactical
HuntShootFish
KIR Ammo
Maryland Munitions MMI
Mutiny Machine
Rivertown Munitions
Selway Armory
Skogen's Gun Supply
Steinel Ammo
Stunnoma Sports
Tactical Surplus USA
Top Gun Ammo
Wild Horse Ammunition

I will add Centerfire Systems and Atlantic to this list. They don’t always have the best deals but if there is a promo for free shipping on ammo, the price you see is the price you pay. Both GTG in my experiences 

• Like 1

I order from SG ammo most of the time. Recently had an incident with the last snow. Ordered 9MM from SG and it was set to be delivered on 1-17 and the big snow happened. UPS was supposed to deliver on that day. The tracker said ammo was here in town, but they were unable to deliver it due to weather. Waited two weeks after and still no ammo. I sent message to SG and they gave me a total refund but told me they would not be able to give me a total refund if I did not take the offer of delivery insurance upon purchasing again. Got home on Feb 16th and the original ammo order was delivered a month late. Turns out United Parcel Service was just backed up and took time to catch up the backlog.

I did contact S G Ammo and paid for the original order of ammo. Was the right thing to do. 

Edited to add; S G Ammo charges tax now but no freight on over 200,00 orders. 

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My most recent order was from Wild Horse- I've ordered from them a couple times now without issue. My last order I even got a couple surplus Yugo ammo crates for dirt cheap.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Before going directly to any retailer, you should check Bullcatchupmo once they have added a new feature for individual product shipping costs.  this will help a lot to find the best retailer and easy to compare prices.  Sometimes shipping costs are more than the price.