gunbroker pricing

laktrash

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do all the Gunbroker sells for G&L, and I dont know about what other places do, but this is how I do it:

I take what we have in an item, put it on for the least we'd take for it as the minimum bid, (less if it's an item we're wanting to clear out), and then put a buy it now price on it equal to our normal sticker price.

Like others said, GB is an auction site. A while back I decided I wanted a certain model Ruger pistol. Local shop where I would like to buy said they had no idea when I would get one if I ordered it. Found exactly what I was looking for on Gun Brokers NIB with no bids. I bought it, paid FFL and shipping fees, still below what the local shop would have ordered it for. Local shop did get their fee and I got my Ruger. Worked for me.

oldogy

oldogy

Guest HVAC Worker

I use Gunbroker as a price index for weapons that I am intrested in.Overall I would have to say that they are pretty close in line on prices.Rember this is the e-bay of weapons,if there is a weapon in great demand the price will be higher.Overall they are a great site to work with,that being said I still prefer to keep my money locally(sp).

Like others said, GB is an auction site. A while back I decided I wanted a certain model Ruger pistol. Local shop where I would like to buy said they had no idea when I would get one if I ordered it. Found exactly what I was looking for on Gun Brokers NIB with no bids. I bought it, paid FFL and shipping fees, still below what the local shop would have ordered it for. Local shop did get their fee and I got my Ruger. Worked for me.

oldogy

oldogy

Oldogy has hit the nail straight on the head. Gun Broker and Gunsameria are a great resource for this. It is a great way to find stuff that you can't find locally. Dont be afraid to negotiate with these guys either, all they can say is "no" -- or, they will probably make a counter offer --especially on "used" stuff.

Kind regards,

LEROY

The auction sites are great but you still have to shop around. Prices go from steals to flat out highway robbery. You really should know what your looking for and what it's available locally for (before) you shop the auction sites.

Like eBay, much of Gunbroker is simply retailing new guns.

GunBroker can be a good source if you know how to use it. You see all the time “These are selling on GB for…” When in fact they aren’t selling anywhere near that; that is just a hopeful listing.

If you join GunBroker you can search to find out what guns actually sold for.

I’m really surprised at the jump in prices at Buds within the last year. Use to be that was the rock bottom price on the net and you went from there. Now their prices aren’t really any better than most others. I wonder who will be the next big dealer on the net.

GoLSN is whacked anymore. But they have a market the legitimate dealers can’t sell to.

Edited by DaveTN
Guest TNTgill

Like others have said you still have to research what you are buying when you find it on GB. I bought a Kimber off GB last year and with shipping and FFL transfer fees was still $200+ cheaper than I could get it locally.

I made some decent deals on Gunbroker, got exactly what I wanted WHEN I wanted it.

OTOH, some stuff you just can't get from the locals. I had bought a PX4 in .45 and wanted a couple extra mags. At the time, they were very rare. Someone offered it at OEM price and I paid it gratefully.

Another time I was looking for 1911 mags, got a sweet deal on 6 NIB for 65 bucks. Three of them were SIG OEM's for my GSR.

I also use the site for research to see what is a fair price before I go to some of the dealers. Just that in itself saved me tons of money and from getting screwed. (esp. used firearms)

Edited by Currently

I look at the prices listed on Gun Broker the same way I do a lot of other advertisments. I view them as "asking" prices, not necessarily "selling" prices. We see similar situations for airplanes in Trade-A-Plane, and for vehicles in Wheels and Deals. Often times, you'll see many items with the time expired, and no bids. Obviously, no one wanted to pay their asking price. Look at some of the asking prices on some of the other forums. Sometimes, a brand new one can be bought at a local retail outlets for the same price, or cheaper. Of course, there's still the tax and TICS to pay. Be sure to look for the price the item sold for on Gun Broker, not the price they were asking. Just my observations.

Happy Labor Day,

Chuck

I believe we have the most dangerous bunch of politicians in Washington, than I've ever seen in my entire lifetime! I fear we could loose many of our rights and freedoms, including our guns! Chuck

Guest oldhack62

Nobody is forced to bid or buy on GunBroker, so the prices represent ones someone IS willing to pay. You can't blame a seller for accepting a high bid, can you?

I've gotten good deals there, and sold a couple of items there. It's an available place to do both, but certainly not the only one. Participate only up to comfortable wading depth.

• 1 month later...

Just as an afterthought, often times there are a number of the same make and model on Gunbroker. These prices usually vary quite a bit. Makes for good data to establish a mid range price, when compared with the offerings of other sites. Good for "window shopping".

Why do they call it common sense, when it's so uncommon? TN Sen. Fred Thompson

Guest Matchguy
Like others have said you still have to research what you are buying when you find it on GB. I bought a Kimber off GB last year and with shipping and FFL transfer fees was still $200+ cheaper than I could get it locally.

Exactly the same as my experience. Also, you have to remember that Gunbroker is nationwide and carries some guns that just aren't available locally. I like Browning Hi Powers and they're about as scarce in the Tri Cities as an Auburn football jersey. But there are a zillion of them on Gunbroker. I've bought three guns there and they run a clean operation.....you'll get a fair deal as long as you research your seller and reject the obviously outrageous prices posted by greedy sellers who are just trolling for suckers.

MG

Edited by Matchguy
I use Gunbroker as a price index for weapons that I am intrested in.Overall I would have to say that they are pretty close in line on prices.Rember this is the e-bay of weapons,if there is a weapon in great demand the price will be higher.Overall they are a great site to work with,that being said I still prefer to keep my money locally(sp).

Exactly what I was going to say - I use GunBroker to gauge what the going cost, nation-wide, is for a firearm that I'd like to purchase, but I'll then go and independently check a few other sights (Buds, etc...) and see what the deal is as well. After that, I'll then spend my money locally and go in and give the salespeople a hard time (not really). :cool:

Exactly the same as my experience. Also, you have to remember that Gunbroker is nationwide and carries some guns that just aren't available locally. I like Browning Hi Powers and they're about as scarce in the Tri Cities as an Auburn football jersey. But there are a zillion of them on Gunbroker. I've bought three guns there and they run a clean operation.....you'll get a fair deal as long as you research your seller and reject the obviously outrageous prices posted by greedy sellers who are just trolling for suckers.

MG

This is true as well (sorry to keep quoting folks). I found a Smith and Wesson Pro 1911 series that I wanted, but wasn't available locally, and no one could tell me if they could even get one in for me at all. GB helped me out on that one, and I had it transferred. Yes, I paid a *little* more than I'd have liked, but it wasn't going to happen locally, and I was really tired of trying to find this particular gun.

Very helpful site, as long as you don't just get on there and start bidding without doing any pricing research.

Very helpful site, as long as you don't just get on there and start bidding without doing any pricing research.

This is the what I hate about auction sites. Just when you think you're about to get a good deal, some noob outbids you by going way over retail. :cool:

But. . . it's great when you're a seller and somebody does that!

Gunbroker can be a good resource for some older and more scarce handguns. It is also good to compare used guns of various conditions. Makes real world information VS Bluebook or Standard Catalog of Firearms value estimates. After an auction closes it is easy to compare actual sale prices to value estimates.