What Do You Do If You Find a Bear In Your Car??

waynesan

I didn't find this video through a search, so I hope its not a repost.

Amazing video of a Bear tearing up a car in the Clingman's Dome parking lot in the Smoky Mountains.

This appears to be a fairly large bear but look at how close some of the tourists get to it to take a picture.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clean your car and don't leave the windows cracked.

And I love how the people just stand around and watch. No horn honking or anything, just watch the bear and get a good shot. Morons.

You would think someone would have tried to scare it away just to keep someones car from being torn up but it seems like they all enjoyed the show. If I came back to my car and saw that going on I would be some kind of mad.

Would it be legal to shoot a bear to protect property?

Guest billwilly73

I don't think I heard any "local" folk talking on that video

I've been close (not by choice) to a black bear in the Smokies while going around the loop in Cades Cove.

Several members of the family were in a pick-up truck, I think there were four or five of us in the back sittin on the tailgate and wheel well thingys.

All of a sudden several people on bicycles come by bustin ass going the wrong way. One man hit the ditch, went head first over the handle bars, somehow done a tuck and roll type of thing and landed back on his feet, left the bike laying and he kept running. By this time we are all thinking WTF is going on?

A few min goes by annd then we see the bear walking down the road like he/she owned the place, and as far as I was concerned, it did. When it got to the truck I think we bout :D our pants. We were all on top of the cab by now and the bear decided to put its front paws on the tailgate to get a better look. Then it just got down and went off in the woods. I wish I would have had a camera with me but even if I did I probably would have been unable to use it.

Guest TurboniumOxide
Clean your car and don't leave the windows cracked.

And I love how the people just stand around and watch. No horn honking or anything, just watch the bear and get a good shot. Morons.

Go easy on them there suntzu, if they had alerted the bear I wouldn't have this priceless free entertainment to watch. :lol:

kind of funny this thread is here now.

We just got back from a week in the mtns and Gatlinburg. We stayed in a cabin up in Roaring Fork. This vacation was nicknamed "bears gone wild"

we had bears in the driveaway daily, crawling around the front porch and standing right at the front door stairing at us. We encountered bears up in Roaring Fork while we did the auto tour, and darn near got attacked by a mama bear with two cubs while we had lunch in Greenbrier. The Greenbrier experience was fairly scary. The bear was determined to get to our table we were the only ones in that picnic area. She got about 15 feet away and was not stopping. I hit the car alarm on the remote and started jumping up and down while screaming like a little girl. She turned tail and took off into the woods. If the alarm had not worked we would have had a real problem.

And honestly while I had a .45 stored legally in the vehicle I never once thought of trying to get it and I was not in imminent fear of my life. I think you would be opening a huge can of trouble if you shot a bear in the park, oof. There are better ways of moving a bear out of the way and shooting them is not on my list. Get caught brandishing a loaded pistol up there and there will be lots of 'splaining to do.

Word to the wise, let the bear do what it will short of maiming someone, scream and yell a lot and keep the darn food out of sight. They know what grocery store food looks like. Never turn your back and run, that makes you part of the luncheon buffet.

Lottsa fun though.

Edited by Mike.357