Home Defense Shotgun

Guest SigVol

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mossberg Persuader.... just pumping the action sends the message.

Sends what message?? That someone might have a gun they can rack?? What about ammo?? Could the person whom is racking the shotgun thinking "Man, I don't have any ammo so I hope this scares the person enough to leave!"......Good luck with that these days. :koolaid:

That whole gun racking sound is a myth. Believe it or not, some don't know what a shotgun sounds like being racked. Same thing with a pistol.....just cause you rack the slide or cock the hammer doesn't gaurentee the person will run or leave your home. All ways be prepared to use the darn thing if needed. The muzzel flash will definatly make almost everyone run. :cool:

+9000000000000000000000000000 on the Saiga. Very fine weapon and a great choice for a home defense shotgun.

Guest Tusculum

There is not a semi auto shotgun I would trust when TSHTF! You might as well have a single shot cause the first round is all you are guaranteed to have, And thats only if the chamber is loaded. Sorry, Just my own personal opinion. Remington 870 Wingmaster does the job very well. I also agree when Meanie hears that racking action, He knows that is a universal lanquage that everyone knows the meaning! Also dont just rely on the sound, make sure when its racked there is a round going into the chamber. Thanks, Jack

Sends what message?? That someone might have a gun they can rack?? What about ammo?? Could the person whom is racking the shotgun thinking "Man, I don't have any ammo so I hope this scares the person enough to leave!"......Good luck with that these days. :koolaid:

That whole gun racking sound is a myth. Believe it or not, some don't know what a shotgun sounds like being racked. Same thing with a pistol.....just cause you rack the slide or cock the hammer doesn't gaurentee the person will run or leave your home. All ways be prepared to use the darn thing if needed. The muzzel flash will definatly make almost everyone run. :cool:

I agree. Hopefully you already have one in the chamber so you can skip that initial racking of the gun. The most intimidating sound is the sound of 9-00 projectiles flying out of the barrel.

I agree. Hopefully you already have one in the chamber so you can skip that initial racking of the gun. The most intimidating sound is the sound of 9-00 projectiles flying out of the barrel.

X2, If I rack mine it's a waste of the one that's alread in the chamber. On top of that, if someone's in my house that doesn't belong there, I'm not really interested in scaring them away just so they can come back at a different time.

If price isn't that big of a drawback I would look into the Franchi Spas 12. You can have a semi-auto or pump just whatever floats your boat that day.

+ 1000 on the Spas, I don't have the good fortune to own one but have had the opportunity to fire one and they are awesome. If money is not an issue, I would also recommend the Saiga-12 or the USAS-12. These are the heavy weights in tactical shotguns, but in all honesty, a Mossberg 500 with an 18.5" barrel will provide you with nearly the same level of protection at a fraction of the cost. Just an opinion..

These are the heavy weights in tactical shotguns, but in all honesty, a Mossberg 500 with an 18.5" barrel will provide you with nearly the same level of protection at a fraction of the cost.

Ding...Ding...Ding

You won the prize of this thread. Simple, cheap, and every bit the equal of all the gimmicky stuff mentioned already. There is a reason Remington just sold their 10,000,000 870 shotgun and Mossberg is right up there close to the same number.

They simply work.

12 ga. in all sorts of flavors is widely available.

I have "several" HD shotguns. One is a semi-auto, the others are pump guns. Downsides to a semi-auto are 1) the weight 2) the possibility of a jam 3) the weight 4) the cost. The only upside I am aware of is that you don't have to worry about 'short stroking' the action.

If you must have a semi-auto, and price is a factor, then check local pawnshops, gunshops and gunbroker for a good-condition Remington Mdl 11. I picked one up for about $250 shipped, with TICS fee. I supplied the hacksaw, butt-cuff for spare rounds, and glow-sights - figure another 15 bucks.

Racking the shotgun for sound effects is all very well and good - but you've just advertised your position, and he's probably armed. As far as I'm concerned, if he has broken into my house, that is all the info I need about his intentions. If all the intruder hears is 'click' BANG, it is certain he will get the message you are trying to convey.

Edited by Mark@Sea
Ding...Ding...Ding

You won the prize of this thread. Simple, cheap, and every bit the equal of all the gimmicky stuff mentioned already. There is a reason Remington just sold their 10,000,000 870 shotgun and Mossberg is right up there close to the same number.

They simply work.

Amen!! Remember, the first repeating shotgun used in war was the Winchester model 97 (a great thing in itself). The model 97 is a exposed hammer pump. It was called the "Trench Broom" and the Germans (great soldiers themselves) called it a "barbaric weapon". Next came the great Winchester model 12; a hammerless design (both designed by J. M. Browning). The Remington 870 and the Mossbergs are the next (and greatest) iteration of the pump shotgun (...outside the Browning BPS --which is also relatively cheap -- (that is what guards our manse; along with other stuff...)). You cant go wrong with a pump shotgun if you are ok with pumping it. They are all great.

Kind regards,

LEROY

Thanks to all for the valuable insight!!! I have decided on this bad boy - Mossberg 930 Special Purpose - 930 Tactical; Item# 85360 $700.00

How can you go wrong? Serious bang for the buck dude!!!!!!

85360.jpg

Guest jimboro

I would rather have my son or daughter say "it's me dad" before, not after, I pulled the trigger.

Sends what message?? That someone might have a gun they can rack?? What about ammo?? Could the person whom is racking the shotgun thinking "Man, I don't have any ammo so I hope this scares the person enough to leave!"......Good luck with that these days. :cool:

That whole gun racking sound is a myth. Believe it or not, some don't know what a shotgun sounds like being racked. Same thing with a pistol.....just cause you rack the slide or cock the hammer doesn't gaurentee the person will run or leave your home. All ways be prepared to use the darn thing if needed. The muzzel flash will definatly make almost everyone run. :D

+9000000000000000000000000000 on the Saiga. Very fine weapon and a great choice for a home defense shotgun.