What made you buy the Gun you own?

Wyldk2

I was originally looking for a Walther P99 in .40 sw. The reason...it was one of the more comfortable handguns I had handled, it had adjustable backstraps and I liked the looks of it. The price, however, was $100 more than I wanted to spend. The great people at Frontier Firearms in Kingston TN. directed me to it's American clone the S&W 990L. Not quite as nice as the Walther but it fit my hand well and seems to have a slim profile which I like. I've only run about 400 rounds through it. No problems and seems to get better each time I shoot it.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question #1:

What made you buy the Handgun(s) you own?

Question #2:

What would you say to promote your choice?

Question #1:

The main and only reason was: I had cash in hand

Question # 2

No matter what guns or guns I post and the reasons why I like them, Some will agree and some will not.

Well, i hope this helps someone who is in the market for a new gun. What they should consider and look for in a gun.

After all it is a big investment but just like insurance i'd rather have it and not need it than to need and not have.

The Glock 23 was my first handgun, I looked and thought about the types of guns out there for about a year before i finally bought mine. I had bb pistols when i was younger( beings living in the city limits of tullahoma we really couldn't shoot a powder- weapon without someone calling the cops).

I'll just go with my favorite 3.

XD-9, my first semi-auto, I was wanting a semi-auto in 9mm. Found out when checking prices that a lot of people behind the counters at the gun shops I checked had XD's in varying calibers. All of them recommended the XD.

Baby Eagle in .40, love at first feel.

S&W Model 64, was wanting a house/car gun, found a used one in good condition and a good price.

H&K USP TACTICAL 45acp- Very Accurate, High Capacity 13+1, Great feel in the hands,Threaded Barrel,Proven to be reliable and durable weapon.

CZ 75 Tactical Sport 9mm- Designed for competition shooting so it is extremely accurate, High Capacity 20 rds, Trigger Pull is very very light giving little time to move off target.

Guest JoeNashville
Well, i hope this helps someone who is in the market for a new gun. What they should consider and look for in a gun.

The Glock 23 was my first handgun, I looked and thought about the types of guns out there for about a year before i finally bought mine.

I'm new to guns and looking for my first. I like the Glocks but I'm trying to sort out all the models! :D

I always figured I'd get a 9mm but now I'm not sure. :)

G19 - so easy a caveman can use it

1911's - my grandfather survived the war because of one, and I'm a believer in the Gospel of John.....Moses Browning

AK's - I just like them, and I enjoy making bets at the range against the AR guys with the 5.45

Edited by csaxj3

My first hand gun is a Springfield amory 1911

Used it in the Navy and loved it.

S&W 686 6-inch in stainless - Had to have it

Taurus PT-99 - Good deal

Raven .25 Free gun for joining range

.44 colt old army in black powder 12 inch barrel. Looked like fun

Rugar single six in .22 my Dads gun

Iver Johnson in .32 my Dads gun

Yup. Love to shoot these hand guns.

Guest HvyMtl

Ok, I will do it with the first pistol I own.

1. What made me buy the handgun I own?

Answer: I cannot carry a COP, they are too heavy. My job was taking me into some of the worst crime places in the U.S. - places like 1st Ave, Birmingham, or South Chicago... for example, so I felt the need for a firearm. (Sadly, after researching, I still could not carry in South Chicago... and the job has been downsized since...)

2. How would I promote my choice?

Answer: Simple. I point to my cousin the LEO and how he has talked his parents to both conceal carry... (Kinda blocks the argument that LEO should be the only ones armed, don't it?)

AS for the specific gun 1. Size and price - I wanted a conceal carry 45 with low price and good reputation - so my first gun is a Bersa Ultra Compact 45. Easy to carry, easy to hold, easy to aim and shoot. Plus it is loud and proud. (Other shooters stop and ask what I shoot at the range, due to its sound...) And was $365 incl background check.

2. Not too hard to promote - 1000 rounds later - shoots quite smooth, is more accurate than I am, and is easy to clean. Fun to shoot, and very light recoil. A good bang for buck gun.

Does that mean I wont buy more? Oh, no. I will buy more and get more expensive guns... But at the time price point was crucial... I could not afford to buy a $500 gun and needed to have it asap.

Edited by HvyMtl

Bought a Glock 26 for everyday carry - got it for it's reputation, ease of carry because of size.

Got hit with the 1911 bug and bought a P13-45 - present to myself after deployment. The .45 has history behind it, it's finicky, but learn the quirks and it will run.

Then it was the Rohrbaugh R9S - started having back issues from jumping out of C-130's and the chiropracter said no wallets in the back pocket and the IWB carry might also effect my posture so I went with a pocket carry gun.

Went through a few guns that did not fit my needs or were bought on impulse, but the new gun buyer should not feel like they had a bad purchase/decision, sometimes it takes some cash to learn.

Guest hi im drummer03

Glock 27-CCW,Small,Easy to conceal,Plenty of power being .40,also most reliable guns IMHO

H&K P30- Smooth Feel,Double/Single Action,Interchangeable parts,Quality gun

Started with a Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag back in the early 80's. Purchased strictly for personal protection....against Brown Bears. It was still too small but at that time 454 Casull wasn't out. It was also great for putin the rod down to shoot a deer. A flawless handgun for that purpose but much less practical around here.

I carry a Ruger SR9 now. No griz here but lots of black bears. With 17+1 it will do the job I need it to.

The SR9 was a great promotional deal just recently so money was a factor. The Nut"N Fancy Review up against Glock was impressive so thought I'd try one. Here comes the Glock guys! I have nothing against Glocks and will own one myself strictly based on the incredicle reputation they have.

Colt 1908 25acp mouse gun. Can't figure out why I like it.

I still want a 1911 Kimber or S&W

Guest hi im drummer03
I'm new to guns and looking for my first. I like the Glocks but I'm trying to sort out all the models! :D

I always figured I'd get a 9mm but now I'm not sure. :)

Why would you not get a nine?

If your unsure. Go to a local firing range and rent a gew guns.

Glock 19-26-23-27.

Thats your compact and subcompact in 9mm and .40