What made you buy the Gun you own?

Wyldk2

Figured this might come in handy for future gun owners or a newbie looking to get his or her first Handgun.

Question #1:

What made you buy the Handgun(s) you own?

Question #2:

What would you say to promote your choice?

Now I'll answer my own questions.

I was told by several law enforcement officers the Glock pistols are very dependable and accessories are easy to find.

It is the AK of the pistol world. Nothing flashy, just does what it is supposed to do.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kimber Pro Carry II............bought as a carry piece for Winter but sold for lack of use. Great gun just never saw any action. As far as promoting this gun......it's a Kimber, need I have to say more. :cool::P

Glock 19......for reasons listed above in first post as well as fit and feel. Great gun for beginniers because of ease of use, maintanence and fit/feel.

Glock 26......needed for deeper concealment for spring/summer

Awsome piece for carry in Tshirts and shorts. Especially in cases where bigger isn't better

Tec-9.........Pre Ban Nostalgia

I had a passion for these forever. I've always wanted one. They are fun and mine has been reliable somehow.....;)

AB-10.........Post Ban Nostalgia

No passion needed, just the ability to pull the trigger 32 times. It goes bang and shoots pretty darn well. Besides....the Tec needed and friend...

I've had tons of other pistols as well but these are the current ones in my stable. I'd fill a page or two with the ones that have pass through my hands....of course some on here should just get their dealer liscense considering how many they go through.....:D

1. pure love of firearms. now that being said. My first one i bought it because it felt good in my hands, shot better than any other gun i had shot at that time. looks sexy, and will not break down like a Glock, or fall aprat like Sigs or Brettas :cool:

That bias statement being over with. My advise to a new buyer is, forget about what others tell you to go and buy. buy what feels comfortable in your hands and what appeals to you, what you can shoot better with and what fits in your wallet.

Guest oldsmobile98

S&W 620: 7-shot L-Frame stainless steel revolver (.357), 4" barrel

When I bought mine, I knew a little about revolvers, but basically nothing about semi-autos. I was 21, so I bought the handgun and got my HCP at around the same time. I don't regret buying it, although I would probably be just as happy with a 1911.

I figured I could use .38 Special for target practice and .357 for defense. I read some posts/blogs that recommended a revolver. This one, for instance:

Range Report: Smith & Wesson 686 .357 Magnum | Les Jones

Everybody is different. Just try some different guns and get what you will enjoy shooting (in a caliber that you can handle).

Question #1:

Monetary incontinence.

Glock 19 x 3

Springfield XD45 x 3

AR-15 x 3

Ruger 10/22 x 3

Ruger GP100 x 2

etc.

etc.

etc.

Question #2:

I like the security of redundancy. If one of them breaks, I've got spare parts for the others, and probably another functional shooter. Also, if I want 20 or so magazines for each gun, I can just get 20 mags for three, and they can share, rather than having to buy 20 of three different types of mags (60 mags total).

Of course, I've lost this advantage, but if you just stick with one type of gun, you'll probably get better with it, because it's all you'll practice with. All your mags will fit all your guns. You'll also save money on holsters.

Let's see...

Springfield XD-M 9mm - Owned several XDs I was pleased with, jumped on the opportunity to upgrade to the newest iteration. Very happy with it.

S&W 940 - Wanted a 9mm revolver, for ammo commonality, and didn't want a Taurus.

FN FNP-45 - I have an FN Herstal fetish, plus this big-@$$ pistol shoots great and who can argue with 15+1 of .45acp? My favorite pistol to shoot.

Glock 19 - The devil made me do it.

FN SLP - Quite literally the most sexy shotgun I have ever fired... had to have one.

FN FS2000 - Why not?

etc...

Hk USP compact...

Reason Bought:

• Fit my hand (it was between it and the Sig 239)

• No longer felt comfortable carrying a .45 that held 6 rounds.

• It was new but they knocked off some of the price because they lost the other .357 sig mag, so they added a factory .40sw to replace it.

• At the time the "Ban" was in effect so I was limited to 10rds. the sig only held 8, didn't seem like much of an upgrade for just two more rounds.

• It met the criteria I was using at the time:

a. Holds more than 6 rounds.

b. Decocker

c. DA/SA

d. Hammer (Not striker fired, now though I'm cool with it.)

e. External Saftey

• I'd be lying to both you and myself if I didn't admit the allure of owning a famed "Heckler & Koch" product didn't figure into it. (The cost reduction made it equal with the Sig 239[.357sig also] at the time.)

Why .357 sig....

• At the time several Federal and State agencies were going to it.

• I was actively reloading and the stats were pretty impressive with ballistics and round to round consistency.

• 357 mag performance in a semi-auto.

• I knew if the caliber got too expensive to shoot, or became obsolete I could drop in a .40 barrel and keep going. (Didn't think .40 would disappear though, so better to get the rare now.)

• Bottle neck cartridge - Thought it would help eliminate possibilites of jams.

• Ladies love men who shoot that caliber. (Well known and documented internet fact!)

So what about it now?

I have had it about 9 years now. At least 2k rounds through it. Finish is showing some wear (or character :D). I can't imagine not having it. It has exceeded my expectations and has been very reliable. It was bought to be my personal carry.

As far as the USP Compact platform... I'm sorry it is being phased out. I would love to be able to pickup a used USPc in 9mm that is beat all to heck so I could shoot with the same controls cheaply one day. (*You can't drop a 9mm barrel in it, you have to replace the whole slide and all. Which is hard to find. ;) )

I wish the caliber would have taken off more and prices would have come down. But I can still buy a .40 barrel, but the ammo savings are basically a wash for me.

There are other guns I would like to have... JFrame, Hk P7psp, G19, M&P Compact, Kimber CDP Pro II, etc.

But the HK Compact... she's my go to gun. Like a great dog, can't turn my back on her. Think I'll keep her till the end.

I've got to go now... I'm... I'm... getting all misty eyed talking about her. :popcorn:

Guest TurboniumOxide

I have 10 handguns:

Latest Acquisition: KelTec PF-9

Carry Weapon: KAHR PM-9 or Glock 36

Favorite Handgun: Kimber Stainless II full size 1911 with Crimson Trace and Night Sights.

Favorite Plinker: Ruger 22/45 Mk3

Favorite High Capacity 9mm: Glock 17 4th gen (Like holding a handful of 100 grit sandpaper)

Home Defense: Mossberg 500 with ATI collapsable recoil reducing stock

Sadly, I am a victim of Monetary incontinence as well. Won't you help with a small donation?

Guest mosinon

My first gun was a beretta 92fs.

Why? I wasn't sure that I would actually get around to shooting and wanted something I could sell if I didn't get into shooting. Plus I heard it was very reliable and since I don't know much about guns reliability seemed key.

What I was really looking for was a ruger 1022 but I didn't know that at the time. Still, I really like the 92fs, nice looking weapon, easy to shoot, plenty of aftermarket support and so forth.

Great answers guys.

I know everyone will have a different prefference for whatever gun(s) they own.

I forgot to add one reason why i chose the 23 is it felt good in my hand. and very low maintenence to the gun. So far all i have done is clean it and oil it.

Guest nj.piney

reputation , reliability , and fit . i found a star pd45 on gunbroker , as new unfired in the box . totally reliable , lightweight and compact . after 500 rounds it has never had a failure , its my daily carry . price $365 plus tics and tax .

I'll just list my last purchase for breivity.

S&W M&P 40 full size

1. Liked the way it felt in my hand.
  2. Good balance and easy to point.
  3. Good factory sights.
  4. Liked the construct of the gun because the slide rides on the metal guide rails of the frame insert, rather than metal on polymer.
  5. Frame insert is replaceable if needed.
  6. Made in the USA.
  7. Had a rebate to get two extra mags.
  8. Bottom rail for accessories.
  9. Wanted a double action only.
  10. Decent value.

Guest Fenris

PA-63

1. Combination of lack of funds but wanting a dependable firearm for carry.

2. I've owned a Walther and liked the feel.

3. I test fired it and it handled pretty well.

I dunno, I'm just 9mm Glock crazy lately. :lol: of course I'd love another glass, thank you.

Well....the only one I have left to get that I want is a G18.........that'll take a lot of time and money.....:yuck:

Glock 23, kills baddies deader than a 9mm.

:D

Come on.........that's like saying my BB is better than your BB cause of which WalMart they were bought at......:eek:

21 SF

Question #1:

.45, simple and reliable operation, and fits my hands.

Question #2:

Hey, Kool-Aid! :lol:

Oh, wait...

It works for me. I'd not say that I "promote" it to everyone, but I'd recommend anyone that's in the market at least take a look at one.

I chose the Glock 23 for several reasons.

1. The price fit my budget.

2. The G-23 is used by several law enforcement agencies throughout the country. If it is good enough for them, it is good enough for me.

3. The reputation of Glock for its ruggedness, ease of maintainance and simplicity of use.

4. The Glock 23 can be concealed pretty well with the right holster/clothing.

Guest Muttling

Most of mine are weapons that friends have let me shoot and in calibers I like.

My all time favorite pistol is a good old .357 j-frame. Hard hitting and extremely accurate. My only dislike is the noise.