Windows 7

DaveTN

Anyone been running the pre-release of Windows 7?

What do you think of it?

I was going to try it, but they stopped the pre-release download.

I bought Vista Ultimate and it’s been occupying room on the shelf while I run XP. :cool:

I really wish I had jumped on the pre-release prices a while back. Everything I have heard so far has been good.

I hear that it has a Windows XP Compatibility mode that is suppose to run apps that won’t run in Vista. I’m really curious about that because I use Catia and it won’t run in Vista. Is it a built in Virtual machine?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've ran the RC and RTM versions on my machine and in VMs, and my wife runs the RC on her Dell laptop.

So far it's been running great. I put the 64-bit version on my wifes machine, and it choked on iTunes and a couple of other apps, but updates to those apps seemed to fix things up.

Compatibility Mode isn't a VM, it's just a setting for the app that changes how the OS treats the executable.

All in all I'm pleased with the way 7 is running. New versions of the drivers and apps come out all the time, so hopefully it'll only get better.

I have the final release version 64-bit. I haven't had any issues with it - but I also had been running Vista 64-bit.

It has taken me some time to get used to the new look of Explorer.

What about all the annoying "are you sure you really, really, absolutely, always, but just this one time, want to do this" pop up crap; most of which can't be turned off in Vista? Can you eliminate that bullarky, too?

What about all the annoying "are you sure you really, really, absolutely, always, but just this one time, want to do this" pop up crap; most of which can't be turned off in Vista? Can you eliminate that bullarky, too?
Yeah. What he said.

There are options in the control panel to turn it off.

Just google it.

There are options in the control panel to turn it off.

Just google it.

Hmmm, well not for everything... especially when it comes to networking. Even if you ok it for one, you'll have to do it for another.

The average user (aka my parents) are simply overwhelmed by the complexity of such ludicrous behavior. Luckily, their most recent pooter came w/ a free upgrade to 7, but they're waiting on me to give them the go. I don't even know if they CAN "upgrade" yet. I haven't had any time to investigate and make a decision.

Actually, my Dad would do better if he could bring up a command prompt and change it line by line to null. This nut didn't fall from that tree; I'm still a diehard XP fan.

I'm running Vista on my office computer, bought vista ultimate, never even broke the seal:rolleyes:, I'm buying Windows 7 on the 22nd and putting it on my tablet PC (brand new computer that has vista on it and my programs won't run), if it's all that great I'll upgrade my office maching to 7 and I guess heave the ultimate.

Windows 7 64bit perfect here.

To answer a question there is standard compatibility mode and there is a new advanced kind.

It runs in Windows Virtual PC - Windows Virtual PC: Home Page

But is far more advanced that it puts a shortcut to your programs you install in the xp machine in the 7 start menu and allows running them from outside the virtual pc system using a full xp kernel.

I have the 32 bit version on a laptop with a core duo 1.8ghz running a bit sluggish but it has only 512mb ram (1 gig addon upgrade on the way) with all the "candy cane" turned on tho so the new ram will fix it or i'll cut off the candy to make it smooth.

Hmmm, well not for everything... especially when it comes to networking. Even if you ok it for one, you'll have to do it for another.

The average user (aka my parents) are simply overwhelmed by the complexity of such ludicrous behavior. Luckily, their most recent pooter came w/ a free upgrade to 7, but they're waiting on me to give them the go. I don't even know if they CAN "upgrade" yet. I haven't had any time to investigate and make a decision.

Actually, my Dad would do better if he could bring up a command prompt and change it line by line to null. This nut didn't fall from that tree; I'm still a diehard XP fan.

I've never had any problems. Open networks just connect on command (and I have a couple set to auto, like Krystals), and closed networks connect like they always have for me. Click connect, enter the proper code, and it connects.

Only time I ever actually have problems with it is certain programs, MMOs as the extreme majority, requesting permission every time. But that's covered by disabling that option in control panel.

Still rockin' XP without any issues. I'm still waiting for this computer to :poop: the bed so I can buy a new one.

I built this thing about 5 years ago, and it's far more than I really need. It's still fast enough that I couldn't imagine a computer being any faster. But, then again, I use it for little more than messing around on the Internet.

If I were one of those gaymers, I'm sure I'd need/want something faster, but I'm still very happy with this machine for what I need it for.

Win 95 - M1903

Win 98 - SKS

Win Mill - Hi Point

Win XP - AK

Win Vista - Jennings

Win 7 - AR ( hopefully!)

Mac - Abrams

So you are saying that Win 95 is the best of the bunch?:poop:

I'm still using XP Pro too. I do want to check out Windows 7 though.

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

Does anyone remember Windows ME, cause that is basically how horrible Vista has performed. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of Windows 7

Does anyone remember Windows ME, cause that is basically how horrible Vista has performed. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of Windows 7
I remember Win ME and I'd say when strickj compared it to a Hi-Point he was either being unfair to Hi-Point, or overly kind to Windows.:poop:
Guest TackleberryTom
xp works fine. What's the point?

7 runs faster and uses less memory than XP. I have been using 7 for almost 4 months. I love it. It is probably the best thing that microsloth has ever come out with.

I disagree with the AR=7, not everyone and their bro has win7, you could bury win7 in the mud and it will still work, & win7 is more powerful than that wimpy .223.

AR=XP.

vista=shiny chrome dollar store cap gun that costs $100

Me=pile of dog $h!t

Win7 is pretty damn good, I am also a mac guy.

I've been running it for about 3 months now. Really fast, really stable. Exactly what Vista should have been. Think of it as Windows Vista: Apology Edition.

Highly recommended. :up:

:poop:

I might have to give it a try.

I couldn't stand Vista so hopefully this will be better.