Windows 7

DaveTN

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got windows 7 up and running with no issues. I like it so far compared to vista. It seems to boot up a lot faster and run a lot smoother with less ram and processing power as well. I did not have fun downloading all the updates and drivers for my laptop but it was worth it. If you are a college student you can get the upgrade from vista to windows 7 for $30.00 like I did here to save some green. Enjoy!

Windows 7 US Online Store - Student Registration

I installed 64 bit Ultimate. Unlike Vista it was pretty uneventful. :D

I had no sound, but a download from Creative labs fixed that.

The “clean†install is not really clean. You have to select the format option, but it’s pretty cool that it doesn’t harp about a qualifying version on the upgrade.

The XP mode is a great feature…. And it works.

You fella's that have more than one computer really need to look at the microsoft technet option, I've already upgraded most of the computers in the house and office, also got Office ultimate 2007 to install. It's got some much stuff to get and use I'll never buy Ms stuff retail again.:)

Ive been running the full version for about 2 weeks now, the perks of being an IT guy in a major corporation.

It has some issues with legacy apps.... of course EVERYTHING is a legacy app. Its much better than Vista, but still not quit XP in stability.

I jsut installed it on my HP, tablet PC and the only issue I have is not my screen does not rotate when I put it tablet mode. It does look to be the "cleanest" windows yet.:rolleyes:

Hmm...wonder if they'll be a tablet addition on down the road...

Just wanted to toot my own horn for a minute, I just got windows 7 ultimate both 32 bit and 64 bit versions free! I won them at a windows 7 roll out party. I have bad memory on the computer I am installing it on so I have to wait a couple of days for the memory to get here and I will install the new windows. Now to just decide if I want the 32 bit or the 64 bit. :drama:

Guys, I don't know.

I am running Vista on my personal laptop, and I haven't had any issues with it. Why would I want to upgrade right now? What are the benefits I could see?

I am running XP Pro on both my home PC and office PC.

I was having no issues with Vista on my laptop either. I had expected to after hearing all the bad stuff about it. but honestly i never had an issue with it. I just got Windows 7 because i like having the latest thing. I've only been using 7 for about a week now. And i have to say 7 feels cleaner, crisper, and just more responsive. Now that i've been using 7 Vista feels clunky and slow and theres no way i could go back to it. I still have XP Pro on my desktop as well but only cause its older. I definatley plan on running Windows 7 when i finish building a new one.

• 1 month later...

Here's my W7 report. It's crap. I did an upgrade from Vista Home Premium to 7 Home premium. Load time looks faster but load time to use a program isn't much different from Vista. My new Dell printer is incompatible, Photoshop CS3 will not load, and it's generally quasi functional.

I hate MS. If it wasn't for the fact that most of the programs I use all the time for business require a MS OS I'd use Ubuntu or Zeuss.

I'm having continuing weird glitches, such as suddenly forgetting all my logins on any website where I'm signed up.

Total crap.

Guest strelcevina

I'm windows guy since 3.1.

I run the beta, now windows 7RC.

Microsoft security essentials is must download. it is coolest virus protection

it runs extra light.

and Office 2010 beta free download is up to

Here's my W7 report. It's crap. I did an upgrade from Vista Home Premium to 7 Home premium. Load time looks faster but load time to use a program isn't much different from Vista. My new Dell printer is incompatible, Photoshop CS3 will not load, and it's generally quasi functional.

I hate MS. If it wasn't for the fact that most of the programs I use all the time for business require a MS OS I'd use Ubuntu or Zeuss.

I'm having continuing weird glitches, such as suddenly forgetting all my logins on any website where I'm signed up.

Total crap.

Everything I read said you will possibly have problems unless you do a clean install with the format option, but that’s no different than it’s always been.

A quick Google of windows 7 and Photoshop CS3 will show you some fixes for it. If your printer worked in Vista it should be compatible with 7. What printer is it?

I’ve been running 64 bit Ultimate since the day it was released in the stores. And other than the sound card driver update I mentioned earlier; I have had no issues.

Everything I read said you will possibly have problems unless you do a clean install with the format option, but that’s no different than it’s always been.

Yeah, I know. I was just hoping this once.......

A quick Google of windows 7 and Photoshop CS3 will show you some fixes for it. If your printer worked in Vista it should be compatible with 7. What printer is it?

I’ve been running 64 bit Ultimate since the day it was released in the stores. And other than the sound card driver update I mentioned earlier; I have had no issues.

Printer is the 968 AIO. There appears to be driver problems and Dell hasn't yet addressed them.

I'm just grouchy about the "New Vista". ;) And, I'm tired of these OS releases with compatability problems that should have been addressed before it came to market. But on the plus side, I can't wait for SP1. :poop:

The only problem I have in W7 is my HP laptop web acm does not work any more. Come to think of it I never tried it in Vista so I'm not sure it was working then.:D Anyways no biggie to me I don't "webcast" no one want to see my ugly mug on their computer.

I have not braved w7 on my business machine but will soon. Microsoft webtech is a wonderful thing.:D

I have a question about the bar at the top of my screen. On the older windows versions, when you clicked on the down arrow beside the web address, a list of recently visited web addresses would scroll down. This one does it as well, but in addition to that, it also shows a list of history and below that, a list of favorites. Even after clearing your browser history, this stuff does not go away. Is there any way to turn this off?

I have a question about the bar at the top of my screen. On the older windows versions, when you clicked on the down arrow beside the web address, a list of recently visited web addresses would scroll down. This one does it as well, but in addition to that, it also shows a list of history and below that, a list of favorites. Even after clearing your browser history, this stuff does not go away. Is there any way to turn this off?

Are you using firefox? That's been a feature in firefox for a while now (it will do that in XP too) not sure if MS has incorporated it into IE or not. I found the information below to revert back to the old way in firefox.

1) Enter about:config in the location bar to access the advanced preferences. Accept the “This may void your warranty messageâ€.

2) Look for browser.urlbar.matchOnlyTyped and double click it to set it to TRUE.

As for my two sense, I like 7 alright, but I think microsoft messed up not having an upgrade option. I think that just gave people reason to go ahead and make the move to the mac. Microsoft extended support of XP until 2014 so I see no huge rush to upgrade. I've got a 64 bit copy of 7 running that I got free from UT, and it does fine, but I'm not overly impressed.

Many of our IT staff are using it and I just setup a non-IT user's new Win7 laptop yesterday. We like it!

Our testing seems to fall in line with other IT professionals: It's not really faster, but more stable/compatible than Vista. And more secure than XP (for now).

It also makes my leg tingle a little bit. (Yes, Microsoft paid me to say that last thing.)