First Shotgun

Guest IWI.BABYEAGLE.40

Guest IWI.BABYEAGLE.40

Ahhh the rites of manhood. the big 1-8 is coming up. and what better way to celebrate than excersising my 2nd ammendment RIGHTS? Well, im going to purchase MY own shotgun as a birthday/grad present from myself. Curious to know what you guys have to suggest. already know i'm going with a pump 12ga. Don't get me wrong, i love my dads remington 1100, but there is just something about racking a round into a pump-action:stare:

anyway, just throw up some ideas.

budget is not currently known.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on what exactly you are looking for and your budget.

They each have different pros and cons. The Mossberg is more ambi-friendly and the slide release is placed better, and it's lighter, but it has less of an aftermarket support (and you can't extend the mag), the receiver is aluminum, and it's got a bit of "slop" (it does help with reliability in foul conditions, but most people won't be shooting in a sand storm so they want tighter tolerances for feel).

The Remington isn't as ambi-friendly (the push-button safety), and the slide release requires the use of the support hand, but it has a much better aftermarket support, you can add mag extensions (after carefully grinding off the dimples), it's heavier but has a steel receiver, and has tighter tolerances (thus feels "smoother")

Another commonly fought over thing is the elevator. The Mossberg uses an "anti-jam" elevator, which is UP 90% of the loading process. It's out of the way during all the important parts.

The Remington uses a standard elevator which is down, and covers the port. It can catch fingers (especially with gloves) sometimes, and if a shell happens to get above it outside of the loading process, it can jam up pretty tight.

They also have different price points.

They each have different pros and cons. The Mossberg is more ambi-friendly and the slide release is placed better, and it's lighter, but it has less of an aftermarket support (and you can't extend the mag), the receiver is aluminum, and it's got a bit of "slop" (it does help with reliability in foul conditions, but most people won't be shooting in a sand storm so they want tighter tolerances for feel).

The Remington isn't as ambi-friendly (the push-button safety), and the slide release requires the use of the support hand, but it has a much better aftermarket support, you can add mag extensions (after carefully grinding off the dimples), it's heavier but has a steel receiver, and has tighter tolerances (thus feels "smoother")

Both are good, but I disagree on the Mossberg being more lefty friendly. I shoot left handed, and actually prefer the 870. I can work the slide release with the middle finger of my left hand, engage the safety with my trigger finger, and disengage it with the left hand middle finger.

The last Mossberg I handled (it's been a while) had the safety too far up on the back of the receiver, I had a hard time working it with my thumb. Just my :2cents:

Didn't know about the elevators, though. Interesting.

Both are good, but I disagree on the Mossberg being more lefty friendly. I shoot left handed, and actually prefer the 870. I can work the slide release with the middle finger of my left hand, engage the safety with my trigger finger, and disengage it with the left hand middle finger.

The last Mossberg I handled (it's been a while) had the safety too far up on the back of the receiver, I had a hard time working it with my thumb. Just my :2cents:

Didn't know about the elevators, though. Interesting.

Working right-handed, I find tang safeties to be much more comfortable than cross-bolt safeties. That said, I hate crossbolt safeties with a vengeance.

The biggest reason I say it's ambi-friendly is that it never needs to be switched. At all. It's forward for fire, back for safe. Either hand should be able to reach just fine (and I have short fingers), though I can't get any good leverage on it since I am used to working with my right hand.

As well, with either hand, the slide release can be actuated by simple moving the middle finger forward a fraction and pushing down.

It was specifically designed to be ambi-friendly to appeal to the military. Several other features were added because of military requirements, like the no-jam elevator. Also, strong barrel-to-bolt lockup (by requirement because of having an aluminum receiver). It locks directly to the barrel, without requiring any support from the receiver for locking strength.

I guess this makes me OFFICIALLY the youngest board member?

Guest IWI.BABYEAGLE.40
Depends on what exactly you are looking for."

sporting, occasionally slaying the varmits,milk jugs, and Dirty Birds..

i really like the benelli m4's. anybody have any bad/good/any experience with them?

Guest IWI.BABYEAGLE.40
Depends on what exactly you are looking for and your budget.

i apologize, my tgo posting abilities are mediocre. i meant to quote that from c.a.s

Guest IWI.BABYEAGLE.40

Saiga 12 with all the fixins! It's a emi, but you get the AK rack sound that is near s good as the pump sound!:D

oh believe me, i get plenty of that hearty AK rack sound from my Saiga 7.62 :D:2cents:

sporting, occasionally slaying the varmits,milk jugs, and Dirty Birds..

i really like the benelli m4's. anybody have any bad/good/any experience with them?

You shouldn't have a problem with either of them then. You could even settle for a longer barrel, if you wanted. Both makers offer combo kits, as well.

I haven't really heard much about the Benelli, but I haven't really heard much bad out of what I have heard. The general consensus (after a quick search) seems to be that it's reliable, runs clean, but it's more of a collector's piece because it's somewhat expensive. (MSRP is $1500+)

Benellis are great shotguns, I like the M1 since you can shot it realy fast, never have handles an M2 but people love them, M3's are neat, you can slect between pump and semi, still shoots fine, has its problems. And M4's are really nice as well, bit pricey, And if you really want a pricey shotgun try finding a 1014, it is pretty much a M4 but sexxier. I have a M3, and have a M1 and 2 1014 on their way to Guns and Leather, soon I'llk be able to say how they work.

Start with a simple pump action shotgun...there is a place for one in everyone's collection. They are tried and true, an American rite of passage, and will not start you off in developing a snobbery for obscure/so called superior/expensive scatterguns.

If you are wanting a "do it all" gun (skeet, turkey hunting, doves, HD) I can not understand why people are suggesting anything other then one of 2 shotguns (500 or 870). I mean c'mon ...a saiga?...590? Don't bother with these niche guns until you have a good do it all pump gun first.

Shotguns are simple devices and have long ago reached the pinnicle of development...that being said you can not go wrong with either the 500 or 870. Try both out and get the one that you like the best.

870. I have three, and love them all. Never had a problem with any of them. I do not think you will be disappointed with an 870. For the price, I do not think I will buy any other pump gun. I had a mossberg and hated it. It has been several years, and it was a 500. It was brand new when I bought it, but I have never felt a sloppier gun. Any other Mossberg I have encountered has been the same. Just my 2 cents.

The Nova is an extremely good pump gun. I have 2 of them- along with 2 870s and a Mossberg or two. The Nova, while heavy, is far and away my favorite.

If budget allows, I always will recommend the semi Benellis or Berettas- but I remember when I was 18 too. You can get a regular Nova for b/t $300-$400.

• Admin Team

Since I got the Benelli M4, it is the standard I judge all others by. You will not be disappointed with that purchase.

That said, it is a different class than the pump guns mentioned. Betweem the 870 and the 590, I don't know that you can go wrong with either. If I had to pick, it would probably be the 590.

Guest mikedwood

I have a Mossberg 500 and love it except for the pistol grip. That's getting changed real soon.I just put an 870 on layaway at Austin's TN in Oak Ridge. I think I'm going to love it also.So yeah I think for the 1st shottie either would be great. Plus there are a million different ways to change them about, add ons, barrels whatever you can think of. I even saw a muzzle loader kit for the mossie 500.

Guest Drewsett

If money is a factor the Maverick 88 by Mossberg ain't bad....

I just bought the 18.5 in barrel home defense model because it stays loaded under my bed...and if you break into my house you'll be just as dead whether I pull that or a Benelli out.

Guest flyfishtn

I have a 590 in Persuader that I love. Changed to the Knoxx Spec Ops stock and Hogue fore end grip and she runs great. Took the SafetySouth Defensive Shotgun class with her and she never hiccuped once.

Try them out and see what runs best for you and your needs.