Garand pr0n!

JeffL

Made a trip to the CMP South store today, SCORE! Service Grade Special, only available at the CMP store as far as I know. Metal is all original and looks more or less new. Muzzle erosion was .5. The wood is new. $795, a helluva deal if you ask me.

Target pictured was at 100 yards. I put one clip through a used target before going downrange to put this one up.

garand1.jpg

garand2.jpg

CMP2.jpg

Edited by JeffL
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats!!! Nice lookin rifle :D

I met a TGO'er today and went with him to the range for his first CMP Garand outing. He picked up one just like yours. I took out my shooter (1941) and punched some holes as well.

Good deal. I'm very pleased with this Garand. I went looking for a regular service grade, the service grade special was the closest they had. The field grade rifles looked pretty rough. I'll probably have to go to the range tomorrow too. I need to shoot my 1911 (Springfield just did some work on it) and make the AR feel wanted.

Pardon my stupidity, but can the general public purchase there?

More or less. You need proof of citizenship, proof of some kind of firearms training (DD214, carry permit, Appleseed soot, etc...), and you need to be a member of an approved organization. Garand Collectors Assn. and Revolutionary War Veterans' Assn. are two I can think of off hand. You can join GCA on site. See their website for more details: Eligibility Requirements

• 4 weeks later...
Guest carrothospital

Looks pretty sweet. I got the exact same thing in mid-November. Those SG Specials are hard to pass up and well worth the drive!

The new stocks on them are nice, but look even better when you finish them. I just got done disassembling mine and finishing the wood.

Here's how it turned out:

CIMG2365.jpg

CIMG2362.jpg

Unfortunately, I've had minor issues with my sights the past two times at the range, so I don't have it zeroed in yet, but hopefully I can get to that this weekend.

Looks pretty sweet. I got the exact same thing in mid-November. Those SG Specials are hard to pass up and well worth the drive!

The new stocks on them are nice, but look even better when you finish them. I just got done disassembling mine and finishing the wood.

Unfortunately, I've had minor issues with my sights the past two times at the range, so I don't have it zeroed in yet, but hopefully I can get to that this weekend.

Looks NICE

I have extra rear sight parts...

When we were at the range it seemed like the "teeth" on your pinion or apature were worn. I have a few of both on hand if you have not corrected the issue.

.... I already need more ammo....

From the CMP Forum. :eek:

"..... The CMP has been successful in acquiring another large quantity of HXP .30-06 ammo. We expect delivery in Jan 2010 and should have the ammo ready for sale by Feb or Mar. Until we actually receive and inspect the ammo, we will not know what packaging configurations will be available, but expect them to be the same as we have had for the past few years. We do not yet know what our final cost will be. We do know that the quantity is large enough to satisfy our customer needs for several years. We will not accept any pre-orders or establish a waiting list. Thanks for your support and patience....."

.30-06 ammo update - 19 Nov 09 - CMP Forums

Guest carrothospital
Looks NICE

I have extra rear sight parts...

When we were at the range it seemed like the "teeth" on your pinion or apature were worn. I have a few of both on hand if you have not corrected the issue.

Thanks!

I tightened up that one screw on the rear sight so that it pretty snug after I got back from the range that time and it has been fine ever since.

This time it was the front sight. I was wondering why the hell I wasn't hitting anything at 100 yds and then saw my front sight almost slide right off of the barrel!

I'm thinking of going to the range this weekend if the rain doesn't hit. It'll be cold as hell, but I don't mind the cold. Shoot me a PM if you'd care to join.

I was thinking of doing that. What did you use to finish it?