What Kind of Smoker?

Hey All -

I really want Santa to bring me a smoker for Christmas. Problem is, I don't know anything about smokers. What kind is best - charcoal or propane? What should I be looking for in a smoker? For something that I want, but will not be using on a daily basis, what would you suggest that is moderately priced?

Thanks to all!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a propane smoker,chips and water have to be added. I paid around 1500 for it so it was not cheap. If I had it to do again I would get one of the small gas or electric smokers that take the puck style smoke blocks.I did try some meat that was smoked in a smoker called an egg,not sure of the cost but it did a great job.

• Admin Team

I really regret not getting my grandfather's big green egg when he passed away. I think those are the best you can get.

As a consolation, I've gotten pretty good at smoking chickens and turkeys on the grill. I use one or two burners depending in the size of the bird and don't put the bird on the grate. I put the bird in a roasting pan on a rack, so it never comes in contact with the flame. You can add chips or whatever you plan to smoke with - I've been using pecan chips lately. When you first put it on, check it every few minute until you get the equilibrium temperature you want, and then resist the urge to check it until you reach a safe temperature on your meat thermometer. I've had success with long slow smokes around 230F, and if I'm in a hurry with higher temperatures around 350F.

Good luck.

I have a Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain Series propane smoker. They make two different sizes and are good smokers.

78892a.jpg

Masterbuilt makes a line of electric smokers that are supposed to be great. Bass Pro Shops is having a 5 hour sale Thanksgiving morning from 6am to 11am. The Masterbuilt 30" Electric Smokehouse Smoker will be on sale for $129. It is normally $229.

1430148_i-703531.jpg

I've had two the first was one of the small Charcoal Brinkmans. I used it till it just rusted to the ground. Now I have one of the tall verticle propane smokers that I bought @ Lowes for a couple of hundred. Works great. There are really expensive ones but like trblmkr13 said start with something less expensive. Smoking, like most things has a learning curve. You may like your starter smoker well enough (I do) to not want to upgrade.

Guest RemedyCNC

Agree 100% on the Egg. I have one and they are awesome. If price is the issue with an Egg, check out the Primo line. Ceramic like the Egg but cheaper. I believe they are distributed out of the Atlanta area so finding a dealer should not be a problem. A good friend of mine sells them out of Florence, AL. I can give you his info if you like.

I have a wood smoker and an electric smoker. Both work very well.

If people are here and I'm smoking, I like to use the wood smoker for authenticity. You know, up all night, tending the smoker, making sure the temperature stays in the right range. (Beer may enter into the process)

If it's just my wife and I, I take the shortcut and use the electric. Doesn't require any babysitting. Put a few chunks of wook in the box, set the temperature and let it be until the meat is done.

I usually do pork butt and it takes about 15 to 16 hours with either smoker running about 215 to 220 degrees. Turkey takes about half the time. I go by meat temperature, not hours. Low and slow is the key.

The truth is, the results are about the same with either method. The wood smoker for show, the electric smoker for ease. I use the same wood either way. Just different size chunks.

For a beginner, the electric is the easiest to get good results.

Here's the electric:

SmokinTex | Barbecue Electric Smoker Ovens | Commercial, Residential, and Catering

The wood smoker is a standard indirect heat type. Wood and heat in a firebox at one end, chimney at the other end. It looks like a big horizontal barrel with firebox attached to one end. This is not exactly it but this is the style of construction:

Tejas barbecue pit smokers . Houston Texas

Whatever type of smoker you get, you will not be disappointed. And you'll find that you have friends and neighbors you didn't know you had.

Guest Bluemax

My smoker consists of two large clay pots, 6 bricks, cast iron pot, two grates a aluminum drip pan and a thermometer. Sort of a poor mans Green Egg but it works great

If I were going to buy one my first choice would be charcoal, then electric.

I've read and saw shows on tv that say propane doesn't give you a true smoke because of the water that propane produces. I don't know you might want to research that more if you're considering propane.

What I usually do is put a hot plate and a heavy pie pan in my grill. Fill it with chips turn it on and leave the lid cracked a little so the plate won't cut off, throw in some meat when it comes up to temperature and go drink beer till it's time to change the chips. According to the thermometer on the grill it stays about 200-225ish.

My smoker consists of two large clay pots, 6 bricks, cast iron pot, two grates a aluminum drip pan and a thermometer. Sort of a poor mans Green Egg but it works great

:D Yep!

Guest Knox489

Weber has a model called the Smoky Mountain Cooker. For the money($150-$300) it's hard to beat it. Charcoal plus whatever type of wood you prefer gives the best flavor IMO. (Just ask the restaraunt Rendevouz in Memphis)

Thats the same rig I have now tnmale46. It seems to work well for everything I have tried on it so far. One can never have to many smokers or grills though.

As far as Egg prices go, there are 5 different sizes of them. The one I looked at was next to the largest and was priced at $1299 not including the optional Egg holder table/cart thing that was another $400 !

Webber bulletts are highly regarded and they have an excellent Forum with some dang good smoker recipes if anyone needs ideas or cooking info.

Edited by VERO1
more info
Eggs are besr but they are in the $1500 range. The electric Brinkmans work well but can't stay hot enough during the winter months. I would go charcoal or propane.

Where on earth did you see them for $1500.00???

I bought the Xtra Large one for under $850 last year

Edited by willis68
Guest Bluemax

My Bona Fides.. Homebuilt Smoker < 100.00, the look on everyones face when you pull a badboy out of it like this ...priceless

100_1033.jpg

Edited by Bluemax